PDA

View Full Version : Creeker Visit

Stephen Walker
09-26-2011, 8:19 PM
I had the great opportunity to meet up with David Keller on Saturday the 18th. I know I'm a little late getting this posted, but have been extremely busy since my return home. We got to spend about 6 hours turning and talking turning. David is a great guy, and I feel like I came away alot more knowledgable than before I went. I turn only bowls at this time, and my goal was to learn about hollow forming....mission acomplished!

I took him some wood, and he grabbed a piece of spalted hackberry to do a hollow form with, then I turned an ambrosia maple bowl for him.

Here are some pics of the results, the bowl only has a coat of tung oil on it, He'll have to finish it from there, and the hollow form still needed the bottom finished. I know that he has finished the HF, not sure on the bowl. Hopefully he'll post his finished pics.

John Keeton
09-26-2011, 8:28 PM
Looks like you guys had a great time!! Steve, are you responsible for any of those logs outside the shop?? Nice bunch of wood!

So, now we know that underneath those scrubs - David is just one of us common woodturners!!:)

Stephen Walker
09-26-2011, 8:35 PM
John,

Guilty as charged...I was taking a load of turning wood to my uncle, and threw in some extra for the good doctor. He ended up with some spalted hackberry, a cherry log, sugar maple with cluster burls, ambrosia maple, and dead fall ash.

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2011, 8:51 PM
Looks like the two of you had a great time. That wood should keep the good Doc busy for a day or two. Nice HF and bowl.

David E Keller
09-26-2011, 9:48 PM
I had a great time with Steve! In addition to the wood he mentioned, he also dropped off a big chunk of walnut and a drop dead gorgeous piece of spalted maple! Thanks, Steve! BTW, I picked up a few tips and techniques from Steve, so we both got a little something out of it.

I did manage to finish up the HF, so I'll post a few photos here... Not bad for rotten wood, huh?

Tim Rinehart
09-27-2011, 8:50 AM
I had a great time with Steve! In addition to the wood he mentioned, he also dropped off a big chunk of walnut and a drop dead gorgeous piece of spalted maple! Thanks, Steve! BTW, I picked up a few tips and techniques from Steve, so we both got a little something out of it.

I did manage to finish up the HF, so I'll post a few photos here... Not bad for rotten wood, huh?

Not bad for rotten wood...ptttthh...yep, not bad at all!! Sounds like you had a good visit and wood exchange. Oh yeah, the rotten wood HF is wonderful and so is the bowl you did Steve!

Steve Schlumpf
09-27-2011, 9:52 AM
Always great to hear when Creekers get together for a visit - especially when there are photos of the event!

Great looking stash of wood! I see lots of hollow forms in it!!

Exceptional work on the HF David! Great form and all those spalt lines really give the piece some character! Looking forward to seeing the bowl once finished!

charlie knighton
09-27-2011, 11:35 AM
great visit, nice turnings, thanks for sharing

Jon Nuckles
09-27-2011, 11:56 AM
Nice wood and nice work. I'm not surprised that Dr. Keller went for the one with all the holes first. What does surprise me is that our top shop cop replied to this thread without a single comment on that poor stained lathe. Time to scrub up!

Tony De Masi
09-27-2011, 12:12 PM
Creeker visits are the best and it looks like you two have certainly added to the mission. Great wood swap, turning lessons for both, and good fellowship. What else could one want.

Dick Wilson
09-27-2011, 1:28 PM
Got to love that spaulted wood, with voids and bug holes/runs to boot. Beautiful piece.

Dick Wilson
09-27-2011, 1:33 PM
Creeker visits are great!! The only visit I have had was when Keith Byrd knocked on my door twice. I really enjoyed the visits. I wish more of you lived closer so you didn't need a passport:rolleyes:. This the one of the main reasons I am so geeked about attending the Ohio Symposium this weekend. There will be a number of Creekers and WOWies attending and I look forward to meeting every one of you. See ya all there.........2 more days........yeeeee haaaaaaaa