PDA

View Full Version : Moving to CNC. A Woodworkers Perspective

Michael Simpson Virgina
09-26-2011, 5:54 PM
I have been a woodworker for over 30 years. I thought I would write up a short history of my foray into CNC for all the woodworkers out there that may be thinking of venturing into the land of CNC.

I remember helping my in a cabinet shop they owned. I remember building my own small shop and travelling to many garage sales and auctions to build my assortment of tools.

Back then tools were built tough. If you dropped one, the most you had to worry about, was breaking your toe. My very first compressor was a very old Craftsman compressor. My uncle gave me stack of wood, the compressor and an old Senco pin nailer and said "You can have them. Just make me a nice magazine rack". I have to tell you it was the best magazine rack I ever made.

I still have that nailer. Heck the nailer was probably 10 years old when he gave it to me. It has to be over 35 years old, and it still works. The compressor while, very old lasted me a couple years. When it died I purchased an Campbell Hausfeld compressor that to this day still works like it did the day I purchased it, 25 years later.

Sooo, anyway, here we are 30 years later. I kind of fancy myself as an inventor of sorts. While I have built several pieces of furniture over the years, my favorites have always been the ones that I designed as I went along.

A while back I started building PC cases, like the one shown here.

I spent hours working on the legs of this PC case. Later a friend asked me if I would build one for him. I remember all the time spent on the legs, and had to turn him down. Several years back I owned a Sherline mini mill with a CNC add on kit. I had used that CNC to do some small repetitive work on plastic. Now keep in mind that back then there was not much available for the DIY CNCer, so I sold the machine.

Knowing that building some of the parts for my PC cases would be perfect for a router based CNC, I started doing research. I was astounded at the information available for the CNC do-it-yourselfer. I decided to build my first machine.

I purchased several plans, a couple of books, and read several hundred posts on the various forums. While my first two machines worked. They had a difficult time creating consistent parts.

Building the first two machines was not a complete failure. I learned a log about CNC. My third build shown below was a complete success.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcJHmpaC_yc

I could cut parts consistently, and was able to build complex projects like this clock.

In the early designs I had used a Bosch Colt router, but it has issues that left it far from ideal for use as a CNC router. In the third build, I used a Festool MFK700 router and it made all the difference. Using some of my woodworking skills I added adjustable fences.

I got quite a few requests for plans, so I decided to write a step-by-step guide on building it. In order to do this I had to re-build the machine in order to take pictures of the process. I also needed to make a couple small tweaks in the design. Build 4 was born.

I started the write-up. That's when I realized why there were no step-by-step guides on building a CNC.

IT WAS HARD WORK

I took over 2000 photos and honestly, I would get to an area of the documentation and the picture just could not convey the information I wanted. The other problem is that the machine was made from melamine coated particle board, the gantry shapes made the plans very complicated. I was not happy with the quality of the guide. I needed to go back to square one.

I decided to build a totally new machine. The new machine would be pretty much bolt together. I needed to increase the table cutting size in order to build larger projects. I also wanted a lower gantry design for ridgity. That still left the problem of pictures. I had access to an Autocad workstation so I decided to teach myself Autocad. This way I could create illustrations of any angle.

The KRMx01 CNC was born.

I designed and built the machine first, then modeled it. The model includes every single nut, bolt, and lock washer.

Sooooo, here we are. A man, a woodshop, and a CNC. I have been working on mostly little projects, I decided to create my first piece of furniture. I was working on a small table to hold my Oneida mini cyclone bucket, when I had an idea for a small end table.

Being my first furniture project with the CNC, I decided to use some scrap particle board for the project. Here is a video showing the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP3XuGGgaKQ

This is my first three sided piece. Using my old style of design and construction I would have never done a piece like this.

My daughter quickly snapped up this piece and wants me to make a matching basin stand.

OK what about something a little more complicated. This piece was commissioned by a local coffee house. Its pour over filter stand. A cup sits on the bottom shelf and a ceramic filter sits in the hole on the top shelf. Hot water is poured into the filter and it drips into the cup. This piece was cut with a 3/32" bit. The material is all 5/16" popular that has been dyed and gel coated.

What about something a little more utilitarian. This is a small outlet cover made from a solid piece of popular. It's a two sided cut. With two sided cuts an accurate fence system is invaluable.

This circuit board was cut and routed with the KRMx01 CNC.

Conclusion

How has the CNC affected my woodworking. Well since building the machine. I have sold many of my tools. The first to go was the scroll saw and band saw. Those were the first because I needed the room and found that lately they were not being used.

The CNC will never replace all the tools. For instance, The CNC will not replace the planer or joiner. I am still in the process of evaluating my various other tools. I am planning on a big move soon and will sell off all my large stationary tools, because I don't want to move them. The CNC can be disassembled and it will go with me, even though its now my largest tool in the shop.

Larry Edgerton
09-26-2011, 6:29 PM
Very cool......

CNC is something I am contemplating, but I am not the kind of guy that would think of it as "fun", but I am going to try small runs of furniture, so to be competitive....

Interesting........... Larry

Stephen Cherry
09-26-2011, 7:25 PM
Nice post. Thanks for sharing lots of info.

Mike Heidrick
09-26-2011, 7:40 PM
About the time you learn to do some inlays with that CNC you will wish you had your bandsaw.

Good luck selling your book.

John McClanahan
09-26-2011, 11:05 PM
Do your steppers need the cooling fans? My steppers only get warm. I'm thinking I could turn the amperage up a bit to get more power.

John

Michael Simpson Virgina
09-26-2011, 11:18 PM
@John
On the early machines the steppers got hot. But it was a problem with the early G540 controllers. CNCrouterparts.com sent me some small connectors that fixed the problem. Since then, the problem has been corrected in the G540 controller. So they only get slightly warm.

@Mike
The bandsaw was a Jet 18" and I found I never used it for large jobs. At some point down the line I will probably pick up a smaller, but higher quality band saw.

Will Blick
09-27-2011, 3:05 PM
thx for sharing your endeavor.... very impressive technical know-how and patience.....

If someone wanted to venture into half sheet CNC, I assume the ready-built machines have some advantages..... from your experience, what are those advantages? I would think building yourself would cost less, but based on the looks of your rig, I am not so sure of that :-)
Accuracy? Cad compatibility?

Chris Tsutsui
09-27-2011, 3:16 PM
CNC's are a bit over my head right now.

I give mad props to those that can build their own CNC AND build amazing things with it.

I'd be afraid of using the CNC as a "crutch" and losing my "hands on" measure, cut and curse techniques I've developed.

Michael Simpson Virgina
09-27-2011, 8:55 PM
@will
You have to look at each ready built machine individually. In the case of a ready built machine you tend to get what you pay for. My machine cost around $2500 to build and is comparable to machines costing $7000 and more.

If the designer of a DIY machine is smart they will utilize A Windows PC and MACH3 controller software. This gives some major advantages for upgrades and compatibility. My machine has a Xbox 360 controller jog control, Probes, Speed control, and more.

Not all of the ready built machines will give you this kind of functionality and lock you into proprietary software. Some of the lower end ready built machines have some major design flaws. That’s not to say the DIY machines don’t have flaws of their own.
This brings us to one of the main advantages to building your own machine. If you build it, you can certainly maintain it, repair it, and upgrade it. All at a minimal cost.

If I were to purchase a machine off the shelf. I would look at purchasing a ShopBot or a CamMaster. I would probably spend $8,000-$15,000. I don’t have that kind of money, so I will stick with my DIY CNC. It has a cutting area of 43” x 32” x 6” and pretty much does what I tell it to do.

Bottom Line if you can budget $10,000 or more, then you will be better off purchasing a ready built machine. My machine is cost what a quality cabinet saw would cost and fits perfectly in my home shop.

Rodger Kanis
09-28-2011, 10:24 AM
So. F'n. Cool.

Thank you for sharing it and describing your process/journey. You must be proud! (I would be!)

Rodger Kanis
09-28-2011, 10:37 AM
Curious... would I need access to a CNC machine to build the CNC machine? (The "dragon-link" cable guide notwithstanding...")

Michael Simpson Virgina
09-28-2011, 12:24 PM
@Rodger
That is the old chicken and the eg thing. I even mention it in the book. What I do, is hang the cables during the inital build. You only need about 7" of movement to build the dragon cable.

I have used other methods for handling the cables, but the dragon cable is the cheapest, and its like "Jiffy Pop" Its as much fun to make as it is to, well, eat. And it works.

Michael Simpson Virgina
09-28-2011, 12:27 PM
Want to know something funny. I want to make a small cradle for may daughters new born. I have one of those doll house furniture kits. The stamped wood ones that you put together. They come with 4 sheets, kind of like a puzzle. Well one of the items is a cradle. I think I can size it up and make a full sized item.

I will let you know how it works.

Victor Robinson
09-28-2011, 1:24 PM
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I've always been intrigued by CNC, but would never devote the cash to buying a full setup. Maybe with your guide and the ability to build in phases, the cost would be more justifiable and the end-result obviously super-cool. Too bad I don't have the space for it, for now.

Eric DeSilva
09-28-2011, 3:26 PM
Very cool. What software drives it? When is your book/plan coming out and where is it going to be available from? Frankly, just seeing how it is done sounds intriguing even if I don't build one!

Michael Simpson Virgina
09-28-2011, 4:11 PM
@Eric
You will need three pieces of software. CAD, CAM, and controller software.
The Software that drives the machine (Controller) is Mach3. For CAD I use Corel Draw. For CAM I am using Cut 2D. The CAD and CAM software are a matter of personal Preferance.

The Book is complete, but I dont want to get into that here.

@Victor
Space is major issue in most home shops. My first couple machines were much smaller than this one. However if you are going to use it to help make furniture, you need one with at least a 30" x 40" cutting area. I had to sell off a few items in my shop to make room.

Eric DeSilva
09-28-2011, 4:51 PM
Thx. Found it.

Sooo... When are you going to do a CNC plasma cutter? ;)

Michael Simpson Virgina
09-28-2011, 5:44 PM
One of the reasons I built this one the way I did. It can be built with just the steel frame. Pefect for Plazma cutter. The G540 controller has the relay controls needed.