PDA

View Full Version : DW 788 parts question

tony brown
09-26-2011, 4:45 PM
I bought a used Dewalt 788 scroll saw at a flea market for $150. It looked to be in great condition, but I was skeptical because of the price and the fact that I couldn't test it before I bought it. The guy selling it was basically just flipping it for a profit. He said that when he got it, the table had a little surface rust on it, so he 'took it to work and bead blasted the surface'. Then he painted the entire table a matching silver color.

It runs fine and I have no issues with it. I sanded off all the paint with a series of grits finishing with 1200 and sealed the surface with Boeshield. There was a metal-on-metal noise when the tension was set above 4 and the speed higher than 3.5, but I read that is a known issue on some type 1 models. The fix was pretty simple and now it operates smooth and quiet.

It was missing the foot and bar that attaches the foot to the saw. I think this is more like a blade guard on a saw and most people remove them because they get in the way. I can replace both them for about $10. Since I have little experience with a scroll saw, I am wondering if I need the foot or should I use the saw without it? I am a scroll saw virgin, so would I be better off with the foot to protect me from slicing off something important?

Thanks
Tony

Matt Meiser
09-26-2011, 5:02 PM
I have a much older scroll saw, but that foot is springy on mine and keeps the material flat on the table. If its not set right, I've had it grab the material if and pull it of the table, then slam it back down. I bought my scroll saw mainly for my daughter so I'm by no means even remotely close to an expert and maybe my inexperience is the real problem there. But I definitely wouldn't want her using it without.

Steve Mellott
09-26-2011, 8:42 PM
Tony: I have a lot of friends who use a scroll saw and none of them use the foot guard you are describing.

Steve

glenn bradley
09-26-2011, 8:45 PM
I removed the foot thingy on my DW788. Grabbing hasn't been a problem although it did happen to my girlfriend once or twice (the saw, not me) during her first few minutes on the saw. I am not sure why and we never did figure it out(?). No problems since for either of us so I assume it was some random combination of material, speed, path and how she was holding it(???).

tony brown
09-27-2011, 6:46 AM
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll save myself a little money.

Anthony Whitesell
09-27-2011, 8:46 AM
If you have sanded the table perfectly smooth like a tablesaw you may have control issues. I had problems with stuff coming off the table on a craftsman scrollsaw and sticking to the workpiece. So I sanded the table smooth thinking I just couldn't get the table clean. It turns out it was the aluminum of the table rubbing off on the work piece. Before I learned that I had sanded it smooth which caused the work piece to slide so well it was hard to hold on to and control the cuts. I eneded up removing the table and taking it to a machine shop to be scribed on a knurling machine then very lightly sanded to remove any sharp edges that would scrape the work. It worked as well as the day I got it (ie., not very well). Then I uncovered the problem with the aluminum and epoxied a piece of home made veneer to the table and then lightly sanded (but not waxed, didn't want it too smooth or to cause problems with finishing) it level. Then it worked like a champ. I've since upgraded to a Dewalt 788.