PDA

View Full Version : Cherry hollow form with Ironwood finial

John Spitters
09-26-2011, 4:18 PM
I originally turned the form back in August from some freshly cut Cherry that was very wet and if you remember I tried a different approach to drying the piece in hopes of it not cracking on me because of all the "knots" etc. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?171048-Trying-something-a-bit-different. As it turned out the piece survived !

Ok ! I've made some changes on the finial. I glued it to a waste block and then very, very carefully went at it. Any better?

Marty Eargle
09-26-2011, 4:22 PM
That is some beautiful cherry. The wood you used for the finial matches it very well. Different enough to add a little contrast, but not enough to distract for the cherry. I'm not a huge fan of the top half of the finial's form, but it's not terrible...just seems a bit top heavy.

Great overall...thanks for sharing.

Tim Rinehart
09-26-2011, 4:57 PM
Very nice piece John...very nice. I am split on the finial ... I like it's somewhat 'differentness', and it may be just a little heavy ...but it's a really nicely done finial, and as Marty said, it goes with the cherry well without overpowering it.

I'd call it a fine HF! No issues with form of the HF, excellent.

John Spitters
09-26-2011, 5:07 PM
Actually I'm not totally happy with the top part of the finial either, I think that I should have lightened it up by making it flare out as in the top part of the lower ellement below the ball so that it would match the flow better.
I don't always have a chance to get to the lathe and turn so I tend to get a bit rusty before I get around to turning the next piece. If there was a way that I could remount it I would attempt to currect it, but!

At least it's not yet attached to the form so I can still make another.

John

charlie knighton
09-26-2011, 5:09 PM
very nice, John, i think your finial detracts from your form, finial seems too tall mainly, the top half might work on a shorter finial, just imo, its a very nice piece the way it is

Bill Bolen
09-26-2011, 5:18 PM
Gorgeous piece John. Gotta agree about the finial height though.

Josh Bowman
09-26-2011, 6:18 PM
Oh ya!! I really like that! Wonderful job.

Tony De Masi
09-26-2011, 6:52 PM
Although I may agree that the finial may be a bit heavy, the overall piece is extremely well done. Gotta love cherry.

John Keeton
09-26-2011, 8:24 PM
John, I think the "reworked" finial is better. You might find that one about half the height would work better, and placing the bead at the 1/3 point might also help with the proportions.

Very nice detail work, though - well executed. And, the form is sweet!

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2011, 8:54 PM
Very nice looking HF. I like the redone finial but maybe shorter by about a 1/3. Really well done.

David DeCristoforo
09-26-2011, 9:19 PM
Actually, I kinda liked the original finial! The reworked version is very nice too. I would shoot for a bit more of a curve from cove to tip on the upper section and a bit lower "first stage". But that's for the next one. Overall, this is very nice! The main form and the "lid" are spot on! You did a great job of continuing the curve of the form into the finial.

David E Keller
09-26-2011, 9:41 PM
Nice work, John! I like the second version of the finial a little better because it's a little 'lighter'.

On the main form itself, I prefer to round under the bottom of the form... That's a pretty tiny nit to pick and just a matter of personal preference.

I think it's a knock out as is!

Curt Fuller
09-26-2011, 9:48 PM
Very, very pretty! Nothing wrong with either finial, although I like the more delicate look to the reworked version. I think a darker wood or some stain on the finial would really make it stand out. But it's awfully pretty just the way it is.

Jim Burr
09-26-2011, 10:20 PM
Great looking all around John! Beautiful choice of woods and a cool form! I'm in the boat with Keller...a little cuve at the bottom would add some lift...but not everyone like that. Really well done!

Michelle Rich
09-27-2011, 5:43 AM
I think the "redone" finial is very attractive. The HF is quite a lovely shape & the color / wood is just wonderful. I'd be pleased if I were you. beautiful

David Reed
09-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Love the form and the wood. You did a great job of limiting crack-age with the knots etc. I think the form could stand alone without the finial, but looks nice with it also. I like the redone finial much better, although I am in agreement that it is a bit tall plus the proportions could be enhanced by splitting into thirds rather than half. Very nice finish with this tough piece of wood.

Jon Nuckles
09-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Really like the form and finish, John, and agree that the second finial is better. Nice work.

John Spitters
09-28-2011, 3:36 PM
I'm still in the learning process as far as turning these finials, so I am thinking that for this form I will try out a few different ones to see which looks better in the end.
Here is finial # 3, C & C welcome.
I've put up a pic of each so that they may be compared side by side. I'm still not completely pleased with this last one so I'll most likely turn a few more.

John

John Keeton
09-28-2011, 6:15 PM
John, I actually like the approach you took with finial #2 if the bead embellishment were just moved down, and the whole finial somewhat shorter. The #3 finial seems a little busy to me - one too many things going on with it. Just my opinion, which ain't worth much!

David Reed
09-28-2011, 7:30 PM
John, for what it's worth, I think you nailed the height with the most recent iteration but you could have left out the new/additional bead near the base. Kind of breaks up the continuity and smooth shape you had on the second form. IMHO, worth as much as you paid

David E Keller
09-28-2011, 9:28 PM
I agree with David and JK, but I'm more interested in what you think, John... So, what do you like and dislike about #3?

Baxter Smith
09-28-2011, 10:20 PM
Very pretty form! I like your revisions though the added bead in number 3 I find a little distracting. That still leaves the other bead perhaps too close to the center point of your finial. Still very pretty no matter which one you choose!

Bill Walsh
09-29-2011, 8:15 AM
Very nice HF John, when I get stumped at the lathe the first thing to do is sit down with some graph paper, pencil, ruler and french curves. Remember the rule of thirds. I like the single beaded finial as the hollow form is tall and slim so is the finial.

James Combs
09-29-2011, 9:42 AM
Very pretty form! I like your revisions though the added bead in number 3 I find a little distracting. That still leaves the other bead perhaps too close to the center point of your finial. Still very pretty no matter which one you choose!

I have to go with Baxter on this one. The shorter is better but the added bead detracts.