PDA

View Full Version : My motorcycle teacher has passed away....

Dennis Peacock
09-26-2011, 2:57 PM
Now that I've had time to wind down from all the stuff I've been doing to help mom...I've had time to myself....and I wanted to write this so you would have a better idea about my dad and our relationship.

Back when I was 5 years old, my dad allowed me to ride on the gas tank of an old Harley with the side-shift gear lever. My dad bought me my own Honda Mini-Trail 50 when I was 6 years old. He patiently taught me all the controls and such of my new bike. He taught me about riding safely and having fun while riding. Later own, several years later, my dad bought me a Honda CB150 that I learned how to ride and he bought himself a Honda CL350. We both got to ride together and he taught me even more about how to ride on the highway and about how to really enjoy riding together as father and son.

Later down the road, my dad stopped riding with me because he was working 2 jobs to make "ends meet" and I kept on riding. My dad worked long and hard to provide for his family. My dad was a loving man that cared and accepted people ride where they were and as they were. He taught me how to care about people no matter how difficult the other person was to like. He was a man of integrity, a wonderful husband, friend, and daddy. He taught me so much about life in general that I only hope to be as good of a man as my dad was.

Today, I hold my Daddy in high honors. I love and miss him greatly. Cancer took him away from us but I am glad that his pain and suffering is now over. I know in my heart of hearts that I will see him again one day....when I join him and others in Heaven.

Thank you Dad for teaching me, loving me, and sharing life with me. My heart hurts because you are now gone, but I will see you again when my time comes. Thanks Daddy for waiting for me to ride my motorcycle in a rush to get there, 395 miles to allow me to tell you how great a dad you are and that I loved you.....just one more time before you left.

Thank you Dad....for leaving me such a wonderful legacy to follow and teaching me how to be a biker for others. - I love you Dad....

Ken Garlock
09-26-2011, 4:15 PM
Dennis, thank you for a fine tribute from a fine son to a fine father. Both of my parents passed several years ago, and your tribute brought back memories for me and sadness while reading your story. Thank you for posting such a nice eulogy in a time of personal pain. My condolences go out to you and your family, and of course your mother in your/her time of pain.

Rod Sheridan
09-26-2011, 7:24 PM
Dennis, it's obvious that you were fortunate enough to have a wonderful father, and you were even more fortunate to be the sort of person who appreciated what he did for, and with you.

Both Diann and I ride, and both of our daughters rode as passengers, which resulted in some pretty negative comments from non riders, who thought we were poor parents to subject our children to that sort of risk.

One daughter became a rider, the other still likes going for rides as a passenger with me. A few weeks ago we were out in the country and Michelle was pillion. She started singing to herself, of course I could hear her, and it brought back such fond memories of when she was a child, singing away on the back of the BMW as we explored North America during our summer vacations, rain and shine.

It's funny the legacies left, I have an old #3 Este plane from my dad. He was a tradesman, his tools and hands housed, fed, clothed and educated 4 kids.

The plane has a chipped knob, the tote and handle have their paint worn off, yet the blade is sharp and when I use it, it's like shaking hands with my father, who I lost decades ago. The other planes in the till are newer, better, more precise, yet that old #3 is the one I often reach for.

Dennis, enjoy your legacy, honour your father by paying it forward. In a world of superficialities, you have something extraordinary.

Regards, Rod.

Ron Jones near Indy
09-27-2011, 8:34 PM
It is wonderful that you have such special memories of your Dad. I feel your pain. But isn't it a great relief to know that the suffering is no more? The memories of the month of September 2011 will be bitter-sweet for both of us. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Don Orr
09-30-2011, 2:17 PM
Beautiful Dennis. My condolences.

ray hampton
09-30-2011, 3:50 PM
Dennis, this is a wonderful testimony for your Father