PDA

View Full Version : Jet planer problem

Doug Phillips
09-26-2011, 2:02 PM
I have a Jet JWP-15CS planer. I've had it for about eight years now without any problems. Suddenly the planer bed is shifting downward while planing. Usually about 1/16. No matter how tight I have the lock screws tightened. I have cleaned the posts and the nuts to make sure it isn't grease. The nuts aren't notched or anything. The planer is adjusted parallel front/back and side to side. Has anyone seen this before or have any ideas?

Rod Sheridan
09-26-2011, 2:52 PM
Doug, are the knives sharp?

Regards, Rod.

James Baker SD
09-26-2011, 2:56 PM
A couple of other thoughts. Check to see if the chain that drives the screws in the columns is tight. A loose chain might give you some backlash. Also if the problem is always downward, try always approaching the proper depth by lowering the table, don't make final adjustment raising the table.

Tony Zaffuto
09-26-2011, 3:51 PM
do you still have the owner's manual? If you don't PM me and I'll see if I can find the manual for my similar machine.

David Keast
09-27-2011, 6:58 AM
A couple of other thoughts. Check to see if the chain that drives the screws in the columns is tight. A loose chain might give you some backlash. Also if the problem is always downward, try always approaching the proper depth by lowering the table, don't make final adjustment raising the table.

I cant see the logic of that, driving the table downwards will leave any slack in the threads still able to move downwards. I would have thought the exact opposite - final adjustment upwards should leave the table fully supported. Am I missing something ?

Rod Sheridan
09-27-2011, 9:29 AM
I cant see the logic of that, driving the table downwards will leave any slack in the threads still able to move downwards. I would have thought the exact opposite - final adjustment upwards should leave the table fully supported. Am I missing something ?

You are correct, the required setting should always be made by raising the bed. That takes the backlash out of the adjustment mechanism............Regards, Rod.

Doug Phillips
09-28-2011, 1:35 AM
Thanks for the comments and ideas. The knives are sharp. Rod, you are correct. The proper way of setting depth on the planer is by raising the bed, not raising it past your desired dimension and then lowering it down. Regardless, I've tried it both ways and get the same results. Other ideas are appreciated. I'm running out of them myself.

Jay Jolliffe
09-28-2011, 4:29 AM
Call Jet customer service.