PDA

View Full Version : Oops!

Mark Riegsecker
02-26-2005, 1:11 AM
Recently I asked for help in finding some hardware for a blanket chest. Specifically a lock that had a key hole a least 1" from the top in order to locate the escutcheon away from the perimeter cap that protruded from the front of the chest. Thankfully, some sources were refereed as to where I might locate this lock. As I was searching for this lock it got to be so lengthy I decided to stain and apply several coats of General Finish clear coat Danish Oil. So far so good.:D The hinges are set, the lid support is on, the three small drawers on the bottom are complete with pulls. Really this thing doesn't look bad. :D

I almost convinced myself that a lock wasn't really needed.
And then it happened, I found a lock that would work and the dimensions were what I had been looking for. So I thought, "If I don't put that lock on I'll always feel that the chest is incomplete... What can go wrong?:eek:

While digging the mortise 1-3/8 deep the chisel found its way through the front side breaking the biggest ugliest hole I've ever seen, well not really a hole but a splintering kind of hole. Of course it was the front side right in the middle where all eyes focus! There isn't a face in our collection that reflects exactly how I feel. It's like one of those projects you want to give away to someone you don't know so you never have see it again.

Well if you're still with me, I said all that to say I clamped the splintering thing back in its rightful place using two blocks, too much glue and wax paper. I was in kind of a hurry I had to get to work and I wanted to cover it as soon as possible before my eyes could see what I had just done so I clamped it and left. The next day I was surprised to see the damage wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

But here's my problem. The glue, while it's dried on the finish, about 4" in diameter, I don't think it can be bonded very well to the varnish but I thought before I start scraping and possibly do damage to the finish I could ask if someone has a solution that can save the finish. Maybe some kind of glue-be-gone concoction:confused:

I'd be grateful for any help you can give me. I wish I had a digital camera. It would have been nice to have pictures, I know it would help. But $300 or so it will have to wait.

Thanks Mark

Mark Stutz
02-26-2005, 9:02 AM
Mark,
I don't think all is lost. If this is a danish oil type finish you should be able to repair it. I would use a scraper to remove the glue.
this likely will remove some finish, but unlike a film finish, should repair with a few more coats. Worse case is you have to scrape the entire front. You mihgt also tint the finish with one of their colored products to try to mask the "problem".
Now I am by no means an expert, so hopefuly someone else with more experience will chime in.

Mark

Keith Christopher
02-26-2005, 11:54 AM
I would scrape the area and then apply small coats of finish and re-algamate(sp) the finish. You should walk on over to homestead finish forums and ask the expert Jeff Jewitt for a better answer.

Keith

Mark Riegsecker
02-27-2005, 4:35 AM
Thanks Keith and Mark for your responses. I did scrape the area, some of the finish came off but I was able to reapply the finish and buff it back to almost its original color. I think I only see it because I know its history. Saturday I finished installing the lock put he lid on and called it done. I wish I could show you now.

Once again you guys and this forum were a big help. It's nice to get some advice to raise one's confidence.:)
Thanks for the finish forum source. I just checked it out. Is there no end to the depth of information on the internet?

Thanks, Mark

Geoff Irvine
02-27-2005, 7:39 AM
Why not apply a bit of lateral thinking. The above advice is good and is what I would try. But if you are still left with something that is not to your satisfaction why not try letting in a plaque in contrasting wood with an appropriate carving, e.g. the year/your name etc. I know that if it was me in your position even though 1000 people out of 1000 people said they couldn't see any problem because I knew there had been a problem there my eye would be drawn to that spot everytime. A small plaque is not a botch but a recognized thing to do- if, as a secondary effect, it covers a problem why not use it. Hopes this helps.http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/smile.gif

Mark Riegsecker
02-28-2005, 6:30 PM
. A small plaque is not a botch but a recognized thing to do- if, as a secondary effect, it covers a problem why not use it. Hopes this helps.http://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/smile.gif
Thanks Geoff, I can't believe the finish looks so good after that. However a close inspection does reveal a vertical tear about 1/2" long where the wood was torn away from the surface. I have already selected the pulls and a small escutcheon but I think a bigger escutcheon will hide this quite nicely.

I wanted a matching escutcheon and pulls to begin with but couldn't find a set until now. Why do I find what I want after I've already bought some?:confused: So I think I will order the set and use these on another project.

Thanks, Mark