PDA

View Full Version : Newest BLM hollow form

David Reed
09-26-2011, 1:04 AM
If has been way too long since I have participated in this forum. Any way, here is the latest. My attempt at what has been referred to as Southwestern; 9" diameter, 5.5" tall, a rabbits hair over 1/8 thickness and about 3/8 at the bottom. Turned from green BLM (how did you guess, but not burl). My first real experience turning anything of substance from green wood. I rough turned it about six months ago and the moisture content has been stable at 16% for two months now. Pretty high but I could not stand it any longer so I carved it up. Hopefully it won't crack. I did learn that speed is of the essence when turning green. I turned and sanded the outside and the inside but waited overnight before flipping it over to finish the bottom and absolutely no way to re-center it. Did the best I could and finished up the bottom (that's why 3/8" here). The off center is not detectable. Kind of pretty grain for plain old BLM. There are several blemishes showing up but all are in the wood and smooth as,,,, well you know. Sanded to 1000 with no finish yet. I think I want to try some pyro and/or dye on this one.
Critiques please.
David

John Keeton
09-26-2011, 7:24 AM
David, I swear that piece must have come from the same log as the one I just did!! Beautiful stuff, and you did a wonderful job on this one. As for embellishment, I think I would save that for a more drab piece of wood, but that is just my opinion. The curl in this is embellishment enough for me.

Nice to see you back - been traveling again?? Or, been out replenishing that wonderful supply of BLM you have?;)

Bill Bolen
09-26-2011, 10:03 AM
What a fine form on a beautiful piece of BLM. I've got to agree with John on this one. That grain is embellishment enough.

David Reed
09-26-2011, 10:18 AM
Beautiful stuff. As for embellishment, I think I would save that for a more drab piece of wood, but that is just my opinion. The curl in this is embellishment enough for me. Nice to see you back - been traveling again?? Or, been out replenishing that wonderful supply of BLM you have?;)

That grain is embellishment enough.

This is my dilemma as well as this was planned to be a test/learning piece. That is learning the form and some of the embellishment techniques I have seen by some of the highly skilled turners on this site and look what was uncovered. Go figure.

And yes John, I have been doing some traveling as well as stockpiling materials. Like many here I have more wood than I could ever use in my lifetime, just hard to see it go to waste.
Thanks for the comments

mike ash
09-26-2011, 10:42 AM
Very nice piece of BLM and great job on the form and finish. I'm thinking like John did.....the wood speaks for itself and doesn't need any embellishments!!

Steve Schlumpf
09-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Very nice work David! I really like the form and love all that curl! I agree with the others - this piece should be allowed to stand on it's own - a little dye maybe to enhance the curl - but that would be all I would consider.

Whatever you decide to do... I look forward to seeing it once finished!

Bernie Weishapl
09-26-2011, 11:04 AM
That is a beauty. I agree the grain and curl just make it.

Jim Burr
09-26-2011, 12:53 PM
That has some great figure David!! But I can't help but think what a litle black and red would do....Hmmmm!

John Keeton
09-26-2011, 1:20 PM
David, I love dyed curly maple, but be forewarned that the BLM will soak up dye like a sponge! So, if you do an base coat of black, make it very diluted and be prepared to sand back a little. It will raise the grain some - even alcohol based Transtint.

For the main color, again, I would consider using a diluted dye and "sneak up" on the intensity. It is easy to get it too dark.

Tim Rinehart
09-26-2011, 1:41 PM
As has been said, this piece really shines on it's own. You've probably seen the effect of dying on the figured and curly pieces and it's pretty dramatic, though I'd practice on a scrap piece if you have it first.

While I agree in part to not imparting too much extra (pyrography), there are subtle things that can be done if you really want something, perhaps small banding/texture detail at collar area or shoulder...but it's hard to argue with letting a beautiful piece of wood stand on it's own too.

Very nice form, very nice.

David E Keller
09-26-2011, 3:12 PM
Pretty form and gorgeous wood. I'd be torn between a nice coat of oil and a little dye experimenting. Heck, if you've got a lifetime supply of stuff that looks like that, do one of each... You can send me the one you like the least!

charlie knighton
09-26-2011, 3:17 PM
very nice David, thanks for sharing

Donny Lawson
09-26-2011, 6:21 PM
Very nice. I'll have to say that it does look like a twin to John's piece.