PDA

View Full Version : Need Scroll Saw Recommendation

Mike Henderson
09-25-2011, 11:17 PM
It looks like I'll have to buy a deep throat scroll saw soon. What would you recommend for a 22" or 24" throat length saw, to be used for marquetry?

I definitely want a variable speed unit. Beyond that, I'm willing to make tradeoffs for price. Once I have a couple of recommendations, I'll start watching Criagslist and eBay. But I could go new if there's some advantage to a new design.

Mike

[I have a 16" now and it's just not deep enough.]

jerry cousins
09-26-2011, 10:45 AM
i used the 22" hegner for many years and then moved up to a 30" excalibur. both good saws, but i think the hegner is a slightly better built machine - but the xtra throat depth is well worth the trade. another difference is that the excalibur's head stock pivots, rather than the table (double bevel cutting) - for me this really helps working bigger pieces.
jerry

Thomas S Stockton
09-26-2011, 10:56 AM
Mike,
For deep throat marquetry work the General international is hard to beat, ebay has them for about 1k not cheap but has some nice features. If you use the double bevel technique the whole arm assembly on the saw angles so the table stays flat. They also have a smaller 21" version. The other one People like is the Dewalt. also look for hegner kinda expensive new but if a used one popped up at the right price it could be perfect for you.
I think your smart to get a few that you like when buying used, never know what will pop up.
Tom

Anthony Whitesell
09-26-2011, 11:01 AM
Scrollsaw magazine published a buyers guide a while back (either last year or the year before). You may want to let Google do some searching for you. The Dewalt 788 and the Delta version got top ratings in their price range, but I think that price range is all smaller than you're looking for. They did review larger saws but I didn't pay attention.

Mike Henderson
09-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Thanks for your comments and suggestions. There's a Hawk 26", model 226, available used in my area for about $500. Any comments on that unit? What do you think: Good buy or pass?

Mike

Peter Stahl
09-26-2011, 8:48 PM
Don't know about the price but I tried one at a woodworking show years ago and it was quiet and smooth running.

Doug Colombo
09-26-2011, 9:26 PM
Don't know about the price but I tried one at a woodworking show years ago and it was quiet and smooth running.
+1 on Peter's comment on the Hawk. I saw one at the show and I also felt that it was very quiet and smooth. I do know someone that bought one and loves it, but I have not used it myself. Based on his experence and seeing it at the shows, I think it would be the model that I would go for if I was looking for that size saw (my old 16" is still doing everything that I need it to do).