PDA

View Full Version : Multi-tool to the rescue...

Bill Huber
09-25-2011, 7:10 PM
I am working on a project that I needed to remove a 1 3/16 x 1 3/16 x 3/4 chuck form a 2 x 2 square board. My fist attempt was with a chisel but that did not come out very good at all, I am just not good with a chisel. The next was to use a Forster bit and then finish it up with a chisel, not very good at all, the chisel thing again.

So now what?????

I am not really a multi-tool person, in fact when they first came out I thought they were somewhat of a joke. I then had one given to me and I do use it a lot for tight sanding the most. I have done some cutting of different things, not woodworking type things but I have come to the opinion, it is a nice tool to have.

So I tried the multi-tool and it worked great, did what I needed and did and excellent job of it. The cuts were square and flat, I did have to take out just a little in the corner with a chisel but that was not a big job at all I could handle that.

First cut, clamped a large block to the board and using a flat offset blade in the multi tool. hold the blade against the block to keep is square and then let the blade do the work without a lot of pressure on it.

The next 2 cuts were done the same way with a block to keep the blade on the multi tool good a straight.

The small block came right out with just a very small amount that had to be removed for the inside corner. All the edges are square and the bottom was flat and square.

A little sanding, again with the multi-tool and it was just what I needed. This was all done on my test board so now I am all ready to do the real ones.

I guess the buttom line is the multi-tool does have a place in the woodworking shop.

Bill Trouard
09-25-2011, 7:21 PM
I agree, its makes quick clean work on this type of task. The hardwood blade gives a very clean cut. I also use it mostly for sanding or scraping adhesives

Jack Parks
09-25-2011, 7:36 PM
Bill,

I agree with using a MM instead of a chisel for many cuts. Maybe I'm chisel challenged or need to sharpen my chisels more often. I have the Fein Mini E-cut kit and use it frequently instead of a chisel.

Jack

Peter Quinn
09-25-2011, 7:58 PM
Here here. I've used the multi tool at work to terminate stop rabbits in passage or entry doors that have glass on top, panels down low and this must have the stiles and rails molded for cope and stick but. The other guys use a small saw and chisel, but when I had a pile of them to do last spring, I pulled out the multi master and made short work of it. The other guys laughed at me a bit, but it took hours off the job and made a fine looking door. I did the final paring to the line with sharp chisels, but often chopping with a chisel across grain in mahogany can be rather unpredictable. One of those fine wood blades cuts clean and consistent. It sure has a place in my wood working.

Mark Ashmeade
09-25-2011, 8:50 PM
I used mine today too for the first time in a while. I really couldn't say why I don't use it more often. I should do.

Gregory King
09-26-2011, 10:28 AM
We purchased our first one about 1 1/2 years ago on the advice of one of our team. I admit that I had doubts that such a small tool was capable of so much work until we saw it in action. Now with three of these in our fold, it is indispensable for removing short sections of baseboard and creating pockets in trim to allow for electrical panduit to be installed on walls. Mind you the accessories are a tad high price wise, but in comparison to labour costs otherwise, it becomes a no-brainer. Greg

glenn bradley
09-26-2011, 8:47 PM
Very cool. I don't have one but, like some other specialty tools that I do have; when you need one, its the best tool for the job. ;-)

Bruce Wrenn
09-26-2011, 10:12 PM
If you buy the HF ones (I have two + a Fien that was rescued from a dumpster) go to Northern and buy blades. Same price as HF, but ten times better.

raul segura
09-27-2011, 3:01 AM
LOVE THESE TOOLS JUST CHECKED OUT Northern THEY HAVE A FLUSH CUT PACK OF THREE (DIF. SIZES) RIGHT NOW FOR THE PRICE OF ONE AND FREE SHIPPING.

IVE BEEN THINKING OF BRAZING A HACK SAW BLADE/ PART TO THE CHEEP SCRAPER BLADES FOR THESE TOOLS.

Carl Babel
09-27-2011, 12:07 PM
Very nice cuts! Makes one wonder if a Multi-tool tenoning jig is feasible...