PDA

View Full Version : What's this thing called?

Cheryl A. Prince
09-25-2011, 6:31 PM
Greetings All, A couple of months ago I went to an auction in Indiana and bought a Oneway captured, laser guided hollowing system. Today I tried to set it up on my Powermatic and the part that tightens to the underside of the bed is too small. I need to find a larger part that fits my mustard monster but much to my dismay:eek: I don't know what the part is called! Could someone enlighten me as to the name of this lovely little piece of metal and possible tell me where I might find a larger one? By the way, the third picture is of the walnut hollow form I was working on. I guess I'll use my little Monster to hollow it out. Thanks for the assistance!

Damon Stathatos
09-25-2011, 6:35 PM
I think that you call that cleat a cleat ?

elongated reply to fill minimum character requirement

Jerry Marcantel
09-25-2011, 7:05 PM
I don't know what the actual name for it is, possibly flange nut, but get the dimensions of the gap on the lathe, the outer dims of the flange and the thread size for the bolt you're gonna use, and go to a machine shop and have one made.....Jerry (in Tucson)

Hilel Salomon
09-25-2011, 7:25 PM
It's called a clamp block. You can get one specifically for oneway bowl and spindle steadies,and these will work with other oneway products, but you can also just use a flat piece of iron/steel as suggested above. If you want one specifically for Oneway stuff, you can get one at Craft USA, Packard, Woodcraft or directly from Oneway. Just specify that it is for a Powermatic lathe.

Hilel

Alan Zenreich
09-25-2011, 7:37 PM
Or you could make one out of wood... very simple to construct.

Steve Vaughan
09-25-2011, 7:39 PM
Yup, it's a clamp block. But before you actually realize that, I'm really wanting to tell you that that it's obviously - and should be to you too - that it's just plain too small for your big 'ole mustard and just send that thing to me. Really. And, I'll pay shipping!

Oh, and yes, you can get those from the places listed above.

Alan Trout
09-25-2011, 8:29 PM
In machine tool terms its called a T-nut. Or Oneway calls them clamp blocks.

Alan

Cheryl A. Prince
09-26-2011, 5:37 AM
Thanks everyone! You've been most helpful. I'll start looking for a "clamp block" to fit my powermatic right away. Steve, I can't blame you for trying (You'll pay shipping..sshheesshh!) Never hurts to ask though:)!

Dan Hintz
09-26-2011, 5:50 AM
If Steve takes the hollower, I'd be happy to take that nice piece of wood off of your hands... I'll pay shipping, too :D

Chris Burgess
09-26-2011, 8:57 AM
...Well since you gave away your Hollower and Wood what use do you have for that Lathe........I'll pay shipping.:D:D:D

Cheryl A. Prince
09-26-2011, 9:26 PM
You guys are a tough crowd...!:rolleyes:

Bill Walsh
09-27-2011, 7:44 AM
Cheryl, I'm using Oneways rear support with a homemade boring bar. Before I start hollowing I remove the boring bar, wipe down and wax the surfaces that the boring bar rides on. The rear support surfaces are flat, the wood dust sits there and the more dust that lays there the "stickier" the bar gets. Keep all surfaces clean and waxed from the bottom of the tool shank all the way back and this system will move like its on wet ice.

Cheryl A. Prince
09-28-2011, 5:51 AM
Thanks for the advise Bill. As soon as I get the clamping block, off to the garage I go. I am really excited about giving this system a go on a larger piece of wood!

Alan Zenreich
09-28-2011, 7:56 AM
As mentioned before, you can easily make a clamping block out of a piece of wood, or a couple of small pieces of plywood.
Unlike a tailstock, there's no lateral pressure placed on the support, so it doesn't even have to be particularly tight to lock it in place.

So while you're waiting for the metal clamp, there's no reason you shouldn't be playing with your new toy.