PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee WW Show 2005

Karl Laustrup
02-25-2005, 10:28 PM
After meeting up with Spring this morning, we headed east to the big city of Milwaukee. :)

After an hour or so, at the show, we met up with Jerry O. and we proceeded to have a beer and a good chat. That's Spring and Jerry in the first pic.

Checked out some more of the show and pic 2 is Spring at a dangerous place [in case you can't make out the t-shirt, it says, "LIE-NIELSON].:eek: :D

Pic 3 shows Jerry O. admiring the wispy curlys taken from one of them cordless thingys, that the nice man is demonstrating, from that same place.:cool:

Had a good time and it was especially nice meeting another "Creeker", Jerry. :D

Thanks for the ride Spring, thanks for the beer Jerry and thanks to both for a good day. I really enjoyed it.:) :D

Jeff Pilcher
02-25-2005, 11:45 PM
Pictures look good. I'm going to the show tomorrow (Saturday).

What, if anything, would you say is a MUST SEE at the show?

John Miliunas
02-25-2005, 11:47 PM
To say I had a good time would be an understatement!:) It was great, especially having finally met up with Jerry! He's always been on my "short list" of Creekers to meet and now, having done so, we WILL be making plans for follow-up visits! :D

I didn't feel the show was as big as last year. I noted that Laguna had a very large presence this year, but MM, Felder and even Festool were missing. We visited and then RE-visited the Kreg booth, as well as spent a bit more time at the LN booth. Wow, the guy there doing the demo's was great! He knew his wood, his planes, how to use them and how to explain all that he was doing and why.:)

Afterward, we hit a local pub for some grub, a glass or two of our preferred refreshment and some great company! Thanks to both, Karl and Jerry for contributing to a real fun day! And, just so you guys don't think I was the only one having fun, here are a few more pics, which I daresay, are pretty self-explanatory!:) :cool:

John Miliunas
02-25-2005, 11:51 PM
Pictures look good. I'm going to the show tomorrow (Saturday).

What, if anything, would you say is a MUST SEE at the show?
MUST SEE would be the two places I indicated with my short show summary, Kreg and the LN booths. Forrest had their display/demo going with decent prices on the WWII ($89.00, if I recall) and the Woodline router bits display had good pricing on their stuff, as well. If you're into WW books, TWC had 20% off 1 or 2 books, 25% off if you buy three or more. Pretty nice selection, too. Have fun!:) :cool:

Mark Stutz
02-26-2005, 1:03 AM
Now don't tell me you guys spent all that time at the show, and especially at the LN booth, and there isn't even a hint of a gloat! Come on...'fess up! :D

Karl Laustrup
02-26-2005, 6:44 AM
I have to concur with Spring as what are "Must Sees". The Kreg demo is very good. I was seduced and pics will be forth coming. :D

The LN booth and especially the plane demo was excellent. I would like to just sit down with him one on one for a couple of hours to learn about planes.:cool: :)

Thanks Spring for your pics. I didn't know you got one of me looking at the spinny thing. At least I wasn't drooling at the time. :eek: :D

Jeff Sudmeier
02-26-2005, 6:49 AM
I am going up today, wish me luck! Glad to hear you guys had a great time! ;)

Randy Moore
02-26-2005, 8:38 AM
OK guys, fess up what did you buy? We all know that we can't all go to a ww show and come out empty handed. It is just like a woman going to the "MALL" shopping. You know she bought something. :confused: SO WHAT DID YOU BUY? :confused: You can tell on each other too. :confused:

Randy

Mark Singer
02-26-2005, 9:08 AM
Randy,

Your right, there is no way John M. can get that close to all that stuff before the little plastic card...just accidently slips out of his wallet...."Opps! how did that happen!":confused:

Karl Laustrup
02-26-2005, 9:30 AM
Randy,

Your right, there is no way John M. can get that close to all that stuff before the little plastic card...just accidently slips out of his wallet...."Opps! how did that happen!":confused:
You know him so well, Mark!!

Randy, I'll have some pics of my "find" soon.

John Miliunas
02-26-2005, 10:12 AM
Randy,

Mark, you DO know me too well!:eek: Pics will be forthcoming, as I also have a couple "catch-up" pics to throw in there. Keep an eye on the Neander side.:D :cool:

Jerry Olexa
02-26-2005, 11:52 AM
This was a great day meeting with John and Karl and attending the Milwaukee show! A day in Paradise! Really enjoyed the LN booth and the demos by the well qualified rep. He really knew his stuff as was patient with an oaf like me. Kreg booth also well worth seeing. Good presentation and interesting new approaches on some jigs. MicroJig also had booth/demos worthwhile.Training sessions were in progress throughout the show by the "experts" @ back of the show floor and open to anyone. You could just drop in at your convenience. Yes, we did buy a few toys and separate posts will cover. MOST IMPORTANT was meeting "in person" 2 great guys, John and Karl. Without the show, the trip would have still been fun. Thanks to them for a GREAT day! We all plan to get together in the near future!

Mark Singer
02-26-2005, 12:27 PM
It is amazing John...my wife has that problem at South Coast Plaza...it just sort of emerges from her purse???? Wow ! does she save me money with all the sales she finds! And the clothes "Where do you use them Dear"' I ask..."To go shopping " to go shopping! You see it on SMC...we buy tools to make other tools, or we buy rusty chisels and fix them up for tool sake....Shh!...I hope Tom's not listening
Mark, you DO know me too well!:eek: Pics will be forthcoming, as I also have a couple "catch-up" pics to throw in there. Keep an eye on the Neander side.:D :cool:

Jerry Olexa
02-26-2005, 12:47 PM
I am going up today, wish me luck! Glad to hear you guys had a great time! ;)
As we headed to our cars after the show, John handed me a carefully wrapped ice chest courtesy of Jeff Sudmeier!! It was packed with various cuts, roast etc of vennison which i dearly love!! What a surprise from a very good guy! Altho I've sent Jeff a PM thanking, I wanted to publicly acknowledge this thoughtful gift. This is typical of the good people at SMC and Jeff thank you again!! Hope you enjoy the show today!!

John Miliunas
02-26-2005, 1:12 PM
As we headed to our cars after the show, John handed me a carefully wrapped ice chest courtesy of Jeff Sudmeier!! It was packed with various cuts, roast etc of vennison which i dearly love!!
WHAT???? No beer????!!!! :eek: :confused: I'm gonna' have to talk to that young man!:D :cool:

Mark Singer
02-26-2005, 1:21 PM
Where's the Beef?Mine....:rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
02-26-2005, 5:33 PM
As we headed to our cars after the show, John handed me a carefully wrapped ice chest courtesy of Jeff Sudmeier!! It was packed with various cuts, roast etc of vennison which i dearly love!! What a surprise from a very good guy! Altho I've sent Jeff a PM thanking, I wanted to publicly acknowledge this thoughtful gift. This is typical of the good people at SMC and Jeff thank you again!! Hope you enjoy the show today!!
Jerry, I am glad that you enjoyed the suprise!! I am glad that you will get to eat it. My LOML isn't thrilled about venison, so I end up giving away about half. Anyway, can't wait for you to come up and visit so we can meet!

Jeff

Jeff Sudmeier
02-26-2005, 5:35 PM
WHAT???? No beer????!!!! :eek: :confused: I'm gonna' have to talk to that young man!:D :cool:
John, I am sorry!!! I looked for Lake Loui's but all they had were galon jugs, they didn't have the pints in... Next time I will do better! :)

P.s. the reason that the ice chest was so well wrapped was to keep you out if it :) :D

Jeff Sudmeier
02-26-2005, 5:41 PM
Jerry, I am glad that you enjoyed the suprise!! I am glad that you will get to eat it. My LOML isn't thrilled about venison, so I end up giving away about half. Anyway, can't wait for you to come up and visit so we can meet!

Jeff
Ohh and I forgot to also thank John for picking it up from my house yesterday morning. Thanks John!

Jim Becker
02-26-2005, 6:05 PM
Looks like it was a very nice time at the show, fellows...especially at the L-N booth! (New avitars options attached...)

John Miliunas
02-26-2005, 6:23 PM
Looks like it was a very nice time at the show, fellows...especially at the L-N booth! (New avitars options attached...)
Well, speaking for myself, I had a super time at the show, largely due to the company I was keeping! Heck, and they didn't even try to ditch me or anything!:D Thanks guys!:) Oh, and thanks for the new avatar, Jim!:cool:

John Miliunas
02-26-2005, 7:27 PM
OK, just in case Tyler heads back into town and manages to catch up on all these posts, I'd rather not get caught with my pants down, so here's pic of some of the WW Show booty! As I said, the Kreg booth was one of the most popular. I already have an older style Kreg Jig, but I was running low on the screw assortment, so I picked up a box of those. Then there's their new drawer slide jig. I've got projects coming up with a fair amount of drawers and this looks to be the way to go in ease of installment. Also picked up the brackets to make installing the drawer on full extension rails a piece 'o cake!:) Oh yeah...Picked up a couple books and some pesky little things followed me home from the LN booth, too.... http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=150831#post150831 :D Thanks for taking a peek! It really was a good time!:) :cool:

John Weber
02-26-2005, 7:42 PM
John,

Nice haul, all of it! Kreg had lots of great stuff this year, and everything looked like it was of decent quality.

It's always fun to go to the shows with friends. I always attend with my Dad and Uncle, and lets just say, no one is ever talked out of a tool ;) Just makes the day a lot of fun.

It would have been fun to join you guys, you all looked to have a great time.

So what else it folks buy?

John

Karl Laustrup
02-26-2005, 7:48 PM
Looks like it was a very nice time at the show, fellows...especially at the L-N booth! (New avitars options attached...)Jim, thank you for the new avatar. :cool: :)

I'm not sure if the one you did or my current one is a better likeness. :D

I'll have to mull that over. ;) :D

Jim Becker
02-26-2005, 7:52 PM
I'm not sure if the one you did or my current one is a better likeness.
Either one works for me...we're bird people around here, anyway. Our birds know both Dr. SWMBO and I as "big bird", so I completely understand your dilemma! :o

Mark Singer
02-26-2005, 7:57 PM
John,

Enjoy it! Very nice choices...I had some problems myself at the Ontario Show so I can't say anything....like "Get Help" :rolleyes:

Karl Laustrup
02-27-2005, 9:01 AM
As promised earlier in this thread, here are pics of my haul. Not nearly as nice as Spring's, but it'll do me for now.:D

Well, when we got to the Kreg booth I was like a deer caught in the headlights. :eek: The more he demonstrated the more my eyes glazed over. I bought the package. The Kreg jig, the bench clamp, the drawer jigs. By this time he could have sold me the whole booth. He missed his chance.

I know I will get good use out of these very handy tools

Jeff Sudmeier
02-27-2005, 9:44 AM
Karl, Nice haul! I hear ya about the deer in headlights! I need to get pics of my haul, but it is similar to yours :)

Mark Singer
02-27-2005, 9:55 AM
Karl,

I got one of those a few years ago....It hasn't collected any dust...You will love the Kreg!

Jerry Olexa
02-27-2005, 2:18 PM
My turn. Jim, thanks for the new avatar!! My face needs freshening! Friday was a big day for me. That AM, I bought 2 new PC nail guns (18ga and 16ga) and a small compressor,etc. (Pic attached) and then drove to Milwaukee to meet with John and Karl and spend more $. (it doesn't hurt if its plastic). Bought the Kreg kit (Karl: you're right, I should have also bought the drawer jig), protector spray for the tools and a LV sharpening jig AND spent lots of quality time @ LN booth. Wow, I have a lot to learn about planes!! Anyway a GREAT day with good people and here's a pic of the combined haul. Wish all days could be this much fun! I drove home smiling with the tools and venison in the back seat but not shown in the haul picture. Thanks to everyone!!:) :)

Karl Laustrup
02-27-2005, 2:49 PM
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, when will you ever listen to your youngers. ;) :D

John Miliunas
02-27-2005, 3:49 PM
Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, when will you ever listen to your youngers. ;) :D
Yeah...Guess we'll just have to let him know how nice those other jigs are! Of course, we won't rub it in, now will we?:D :rolleyes: :) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
02-27-2005, 4:02 PM
Jerry, Don't worry, I didn't listen either! Next year we can both get the drawer jigs! :)

David LaRue
02-27-2005, 11:15 PM
Sorry I missed the chance to meet up with you guys this weekend. I ended up going with my buddy and is very pregnant wife today. I picked up some exotic wood pen blanks, and some other odds and ends. My buddy picked up a GRrriper, ZCI, and some pen kits and some blanks. Once he gets settled in with the new yongin' well go make some pens in my shop. ;) Forgot to enter in the drawing for the dream shop.. darn. I'll have to go to the fall show to enter! :p Dave

Jerry Olexa
02-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Cranked up the new compressor Sunday and tested the 2 new PC nailers and all OK. Watched the Kreg video tonight and altho it is short, showed the many options of this jig and kit. Looking forward to actually using on a project. I also find myself wishing/coveting a bunch of those LN hand planes we saw at the show..And the venison is safely stored in the freezer ready for use..:) All part of the memory of a great day. Had to waste a lot of time today clearing snow that could've been shop time using the new tools.. AND its snowing now.... .

Jeff Sudmeier
03-01-2005, 8:16 AM
Jerry,

You mean you haven't played with, I mean used your Kreg yet!??!? The first thing I did when I got home was to watch the video. The second was to cut out a peice of ply to mount the kreg. The third was to make a test joint with it!!! I love it already! :)