PDA

View Full Version : trans tint dye and EM6000

Clarence Miller
09-25-2011, 4:44 PM
I knew better than to try this on a project with a time frame but I did it anyway. Put trans tint reddish brown on some walnut table (was able to get a decent wipe on finish after a few trip ups. Sprayed on the first coat of EM6000 thinking water based stain and water based lacquer would be a match made in heaven. Wrong. Splotches and discolorations everywhere:eek:. Tomorrow I can sand it all down, and re stain with oil based stain then the next day start the EM6000 phase again. Don't have time for further experimentation but am wondering where I went wrong, aside from getting out of bed.

Scott Holmes
09-25-2011, 4:53 PM
Sanding is a poor way to remove old finish. A chemical stripper will get all the old finish out of the wood pores; sanding will not unless you remove a lot of wood as you do when sanding floors.

The dye moved and pooled because TransTint is water soluble. Dye has no binder. A light SPRAY coat of shellac will lock it in place. A heavy coat or brushed coat of shellac will also move the dye around because TransTint dye is also alcohol soluble.

Clarence Miller
09-25-2011, 5:03 PM
Thanks Scott, What kind of stripper do you recommend ?