PDA

View Full Version : Motorcycle questions

Joel Goodman
09-25-2011, 4:44 PM
I am 80% set on a Triumph Bonneville -- nostalgia as I had one of the original ones when I was a kid. I am unsure whether to get the mag wheel model or the spoked wheels. Are mag wheels lighter than spoked? Does this improve handling. Also are the tubeless tires with the mag wheels safer and easier to repair as I have heard? I have ridden the current EFI model and also a few year old carb one -- the carb model seemed smoother on/off throttle response-- less grabby. What are the pros/cons of each? Thoughts please. Thanks!!

Tim Boger
09-25-2011, 5:16 PM
Hey Joel,

I would get the mag wheels as they are tubeless, if you get a nail in it you can have it plugged about anywhere to get you back on the road .... puncture a tube and you need to find a bike shop to replace the tube.

I've never heard anyone suggest that mag vs spoked wheels would effect handling. The spokes will certainly look nostalgic as compared to the mags.

Given a choice, I'd take the Fuel Injected model ... 30 day old fuel in a carbed model and you're on the edge of running problems, FI engines aren't nearly as fussy about fuel quality. Also, elevation changes will not cause performance issues.

Have fun!

Michael Weber
09-25-2011, 5:36 PM
Never had one but I'm just happy to hear that they still make Triumphs. What I always wanted was a Norton Commando, mainly because of the exhaust sound.:eek:

Rod Sheridan
09-25-2011, 6:22 PM
I would rather have wire wheels due to their ability to resist damage, and the fact that a damaged rim on a wire wheel does not result in loss of tire pressure.

I've ridden well over 500,000 miles on wire rimmed wheels without issues.

Both types of wheels require a good inspection during yearly maintenance, one for spoke condition and tension, the other for cracks.

Strangely my first bike was a 650 Bonneville, followed by an 850 Commando I bought new, and still own. The Norton has about 45,000 miles on it, the 1974 BMW boxer went to 300.000 before it was destroyed by an SUV. The next boxer (1976) will shortly hit 200,000 miles. Diann has a 77 boxer with 250,000 miles on it.

The Norton has a great sound, lousy reliability.........................Have fun with your new Bonnie.....................Rod.

Tim Boger
09-25-2011, 6:52 PM
[QUOTE=Rod Sheridan;1780697]

Wondering if you gone 500K without getting a flat? Amazing number of miles regardless.

Joel Goodman
09-25-2011, 7:17 PM
Never had one but I'm just happy to hear that they still make Triumphs. What I always wanted was a Norton Commando, mainly because of the exhaust sound.:eek:

The new ones sound a bit anemic unless you change the exhaust!

Joel Goodman
09-25-2011, 7:19 PM
Now I'm more confused than ever -- one for mags, one for wire. Anyone else?

John McClanahan
09-25-2011, 8:35 PM
Mag wheels and tubeless tires have save me from unscheduled tire removals on two Goldwings now thanks to tire plugs.

John

Joel Goodman
09-25-2011, 8:44 PM
Mag wheels and tubeless tires have save me from unscheduled tire removals on two Goldwings now thanks to tire plugs.

John

My friend with an FJR that he rode around Alaska (from So Cal) is strongly recommending mag wheels also.

Sean Troy
09-25-2011, 9:55 PM
Fuel Injection is much better for elevation even when you approach 3500 ft. you can notice the difference. Think how much quicker you'll be able to clean mag wheels as opposed to all those spokes. :)

Wayne Hendrix
09-25-2011, 10:40 PM
If the Mag wheels are lighter they will improve the handling as anything that lowers unsprung weight and rotational mass improves the handling. May not be noticeable however, depending on how you ride, as the biggest gain is in the ease of flicking it from one side to another as would be encountered in high speed cornering, such as sportbikes on twisty roads. It's a really big deal to sportbike riders may not be a big deal to you.

Dennis Peacock
09-26-2011, 7:54 AM
I've had both...spoke and mag.....I still have mag. I vote mag....tubeless and easy to change tires without the threat of puncturing the tube during assembly. Not to mention that you save money by tubeless as you save that $50 for 2 tubes.

Michael Weber
09-26-2011, 11:15 AM
The new ones sound a bit anemic unless you change the exhaust!
Ah, too bad. Actually the last one I heard was in the 70's, in Anchorage, Alaska so it's been a while. I was there on a Honda 350 I had ridden from Arkansas, pulled up beside this Norton to ask directions. The rider kindly lead me a few blocks toward my destination. I will never forget that sound.

Rick Potter
09-26-2011, 11:37 AM
Oh boy,

I have wanted a Bonneville ever since they changed the shifter to the left side. Us older folks remember when the shift and the brake were opposite, for British riders.

Way back in 1965, I used to race my buddy's Triumph with my Honda 305 Super Hawk. Mine was faster up to 40 or so, then he would pass me going away.

Gave up bikes when the kids, and the responsibilities, got bigger. Too long in the tooth to get one now.

Rick Potter

Oh, yeah......Mags for practicality/wires for nostalgia. I lean towards nostalgia.

Rod Sheridan
09-26-2011, 3:02 PM
[QUOTE=Rod Sheridan;1780697]

Wondering if you gone 500K without getting a flat? Amazing number of miles regardless.

I had ridden about 250,000 miles without a flat.

Then I had two flats, about 300 yards apart, in a rainstorm. Repaired both at the side of the road with on board stuff, the BMW also had an air pump as part of the stock bike equipment. I guess someone lost a box of drywall screws on the highway, however I only found two:D.

Regards, Rod.

Joel Goodman
09-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Oh boy,

I have wanted a Bonneville ever since they changed the shifter to the left side. Us older folks remember when the shift and the brake were opposite, for British riders.

The '66 Triumph I had was right side shift - then I had one of the only Harley's with a right shift, a '64 XLCH (kickstart only and magneto) Sportster, made to compete with the Brit bikes. If you didn't retard the spark before you kicked it over... don't ask me how I know that.

Seriously thanks for all the advice!

Harry Hagan
09-27-2011, 10:15 AM
I wanted fuel injection on my Harley Deuce because I didn’t want the hassle of guessing when to apply the choke on a carbureted model. My only option back in ’04 was the carbureted model and I was right—there is a learning curve associated with ambient temperature and engine temperature and when if any choke is needed. Fuel injection for sure if you’ll be riding in the winter.

My bike has the laced (wire spoke) in front and a solid aluminum wheel in back and is one of the reasons I bought that model. I liked the look, a lot. I hadn’t considered the flat repair issue but that would make me seriously consider a tubeless rim on the front of my next bike.

Susan Kahler
09-27-2011, 10:29 AM
I am another vote for mag wheels. I have had both (spokes on my first bike, a Honda 360 CL, and mags on all of my subsequent bikes: several Honda Hawks and my current 2005 Yamaha FZ1). To me, mags are much easier to clean and work with. The spoked wheels look great, but always have to be trued, are difficult to clean and the tubes are a pain.

Stephen Cherry
09-30-2011, 4:08 PM
Personally, I strive to be a do it yourselfer in almost everything. I even buy my tires from tirerack and install them using tire irons. It seems to me that for repairability, particularly while traveling, tubes would be the way to go. First of all, they can be patched, but more importantly, it is always possiple to inflate the tire with a small pump. Sometimes with a tubeless tire, it takes a lot of air to get the bead to seat.

For efi, it seems like a tossup, but given the reliability of efi, that would seem like the way to go.

Also, I would take a look at the bmw's.

Joel Goodman
10-02-2011, 1:38 AM
Personally, I strive to be a do it yourselfer in almost everything. I even buy my tires from tirerack and install them using tire irons. It seems to me that for repairability, particularly while traveling, tubes would be the way to go. First of all, they can be patched, but more importantly, it is always possiple to inflate the tire with a small pump. Sometimes with a tubeless tire, it takes a lot of air to get the bead to seat.

For efi, it seems like a tossup, but given the reliability of efi, that would seem like the way to go.

Also, I would take a look at the bmw's.

Interesting -- I'm also considering the F800R and F650GS -- both 800 vertical twins -- mainly because of the ABS brakes. My friends who ride a lot are split on this issue but it seems that they do make emergency stops, especially with non ideal road surfaces, safer. Any thoughts on this issue or these bikes would be welcomed. (Of course I like the Triumph's looks and even the riding position better.)

In terms of repairiability I'm told that the advantage of the tubeless tires is that they can usually be repaired without removing the wheels from the bike with the type of little plugs that are used on tubeless car tire.

Rod Sheridan
10-02-2011, 8:42 AM
My wife has an F650GS with ABS brakes.................Great bike.

It also has heated grips which were very nice yesterday as I was riding to Lee Valley at 5 degrees............Regards, Rod