PDA

View Full Version : jointer question

david paul miller
09-25-2011, 1:03 PM
why are the handles on the out feed side of a jointer as large and convenient to get to as the as in feed side ? Once I got mine dialed in I locked it down and never touched it again. Am I missing something? Is there a function I don't know about that requires the out feed table to be lowered?

Mats Bengtsson
09-25-2011, 1:30 PM
why are the handles on the out feed side of a jointer as large and convenient to get to as the as in feed side ? Once I got mine dialed in I locked it down and never touched it again. Am I missing something? Is there a function I don't know about that requires the out feed table to be lowered?

In my case (a Hammer A31) there is a simple reason: To release, lift and use the planer beneath. :)

Besides that, on the Hammer there is no tuning knob on the out feed, you have to fetch a wrench to tune it.

--- Mats ---

Aaron Berk
09-25-2011, 1:56 PM
I'm in the same boat. The out feed adjustment handle is obsolite, and in my book could be replaced with "wrench" operated adjustments.

Jeff Duncan
09-25-2011, 10:33 PM
You use them every time you change your knives. My guess is many keep them the same as it's slightly easier/cheaper to have 2 of the same part as 2 different ones.

Having said that my jointer doesn't have an adjustment lever, it's much more rudimentary.....though it gets the job done.

good luck,
JeffD

David Kumm
09-25-2011, 11:01 PM
The old jointers had huge ship wheel infeed wheels and small outfeed wheels with set screws. It took the big wheel to move the table easily and they didn't want to make the outfeed easy to adjust. Even setting or sharpening the knives was referenced off the outfeed so it usually stayed within a few thousands unless the spring joint mechanism was on the outfeed table- which turned out to be a not so great idea anyway. Dave