PDA

View Full Version : Box Elder gloat

Keith E Byrd
09-25-2011, 7:49 AM
I was driving to the store and passed a house with a stack of wood by the road- I stopped and it was box elder and all of it had a bright red center. I talked to the guy and he allowed me to bring my saw and cut up the trunk of the tree! When I got back with my saw the stack of wood was gone but the tree was still laying there - so I proceeded to cut and fill up my truck. Some pieces as large as 24" diameter - all with a bright red center. So when I got home I put a peice about 11" diameter on the lathe to see what it would look like - here it is - what fun wood to turn! This is about 10" x5" and is currently in a DNA bath.

John Keeton
09-25-2011, 8:24 AM
Wow! That is some beautiful color! If you can still do it, it might be a good idea to turn away the pith on the rim. I would think leaving it would encourage cracks.

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2011, 10:26 AM
Boy that does have some color. I agree with John and would cut the rim down slightly to get rid of the pith. It may save you some headaches when that blank dries.

Donny Lawson
09-25-2011, 9:08 PM
That some nice wood. Great to work with. Keep it away from direct sunlight and it should be fine. It turns great.

Bill Bolen
09-25-2011, 9:40 PM
Handsome bowl! I bet the next one from this wood will be pith side down:D

Keith E Byrd
09-26-2011, 7:38 AM
Showing my lack of experience! The reason I didn't - won't putting the pith side down cause making a smaller bowl?

Josh Bowman
09-26-2011, 7:45 AM
Keith, That's a great gloat! Very nice color. can't wait to see it finished.

John Keeton
09-26-2011, 8:01 AM
Showing my lack of experience! The reason I didn't - won't putting the pith side down cause making a smaller bowl?Yes, but all that beautiful color will fill the bowl - I think that is what Bill was referencing.

Nathan Hawkes
09-26-2011, 9:58 AM
Please soak those cracks with CA glue when you take it out of the DNA bath!! They will open up no matter what the wood species. You could highlight it with black CA glue on the surface or walnut dust or whatever; I agree about leaving them for the size of the bowl--sometimes cracks are okay.

David Reed
09-26-2011, 10:02 AM
Yowza - what flaming color. Lovely wood. I am in the camp of flipping the logs and fill the form with color but whatever you did/do, this is great wood. Hope the color stays with you.

Prashun Patel
09-26-2011, 10:29 AM
Keith-
I've also fallen into some of this wood. I agree, so fun to turn! Anyway, my research informed me that the color will eventually fade probably from exposure to light. I was advised to take precautions to prolong the color by using a UV inhibiting finish, and (probably more importantly) keeping your prized pieces as far away from sun as is feasible.

I'm not sure about all box elder, but I've found the few pieces I've made so far to be quite happily stable, warp free, and crack free.