PDA

View Full Version : Keepsake box

Dan Gill
02-25-2005, 8:32 PM
Here is a keepsake/jewelry box I made for my son to give to his girlfriend. This really made him happy. We wanted a curved top, and he helped me lay it out, but when I got it all put together, I didn't really like it. He did, and the girlfriend did, so that's what counts. To me, it looks kind of like a toilet seat. Oh, well.

Anyway, it's soft maple with walnut top and keys, red oak bottom and tray. Finished with clear shellac. Thanks to Roger Ellsworth for the idea of using the keys as a tray support.

Randy Moore
02-25-2005, 8:43 PM
Dan

Nice looking box that your son helped with. :cool: Good use of contrasting wood and I like the idea of useing the keys to support the tray.

As far as you not likeing the box you come in 3rd for that. Your son and his GF are the important ones and you said she liked it. That is what counts

Randy

Greg Tatum
02-25-2005, 10:27 PM
Hi Dan,

I really like the box but I'm with you on the lid...doesn't look quite right...no matter; if the recipient likes it then then all is good.

Regards,
Greg

Jim Dunn
02-25-2005, 11:42 PM
Darn fancy toilet seat. Must be in the "Country Club" you frequent:)
Glad your son and his girl liked it though. I like it too.

Dan Gill
02-26-2005, 6:40 AM
Darn fancy toilet seat. Must be in the "Country Club" you frequent:)
At our house we call that room the "Library", not the "Country Club". And, of course, it's the shape, not the material. We have plain old cheap white plastic in our library. :D

Jim Dunn
02-26-2005, 8:18 AM
Mine's more of library than anything else too;)

Bill Arnold
02-26-2005, 8:36 AM
Dan,

Very nice work! I like the use of the keys to hold the tray -- I'll have to remember that when I build some boxes on my schedule.

I'm with you on the lid. I would have gone with an overhang on three sides with a bullnose maybe. But, as they say, "The customer may not always be right, but they're always the customer!"

Regards,

Jim Becker
02-26-2005, 10:17 AM
I really like that...elegant and direct. Beautiful!

Mike Forsman
02-26-2005, 12:08 PM
Very nicely done! I too like the idea of using the keys for the tray support.

John Hulett
02-26-2005, 2:01 PM
[QUOTE=Dan Gill] To me, it looks kind of like a toilet seat. Oh, well.
QUOTE]

:D :D :D

That's too funny! I was kinda thinking the exact same thing... I had looked at the photos before reading your comments... and when I read it, I just laughed. Outside of the shape of the top, it's perfect in every way. As others have said though, what really matters is that your son and his girlfriend like it! Nicely done!

Jeff Sudmeier
02-26-2005, 5:37 PM
I like the box, not everything has to be square in this world :)

John Olson
03-02-2005, 2:16 PM
With a name like Olson whats not to like. LOL Most of you set on one every day. Though I doubt that you read the lable.

Chris Padilla
03-02-2005, 3:00 PM
Slick...I like it and the functional use of the keys is a great idea!