PDA

View Full Version : Birds-eye HF

Michael E. Thompson
09-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Trying to add another turning to an art exhibit next week, I made this HF with a long finial (a la Mr. Burns) The for is Birds-eye and purple heart finial. Approx 6" diam and 10" with the finial. Walls are about 3/16" thick a the top and sides and then rather thick on the base at 1/2". I think the base is a bit wide and the finial a bit tall, but I like the way it turned out. Finished with BLO & shellac then 3 wheel buff. Another quick pic, didn't have time to set up picture booth. Please C&C.

Mike

David E Keller
09-24-2011, 10:59 PM
Neat piece! I think the base looks fine, but I agree with you on the finial height... It might be just a tad too tall. A quick walk over to the sander would take care of that. The finish looks great!

Bernie Weishapl
09-24-2011, 11:01 PM
Great looking piece. I agree it is a little tall.

Baxter Smith
09-24-2011, 11:03 PM
Very pretty form and finial though I tend to agree that the finial looks a bit top heavy. That may be the angle that the picture was taken at to some extent. Very nice color to the birdseye! Good luck in the exhibit!

Harry Robinette
09-24-2011, 11:19 PM
Really nice HF, I think the base is fine and the finial I'm not sure about. The piece as a whole is beautiful and very well done.

Curt Fuller
09-24-2011, 11:44 PM
Beautiful! Everything about it.

Josh Bowman
09-25-2011, 6:47 AM
+1 on what Keller said. Really like the piece. Careful if you shorten the finial, I cloned out part of it to see what it would look like and it was easy to make it too short. I just took a bit off the top with the picture below and it might be too much.

Dennis Ford
09-25-2011, 7:11 AM
Very nice form. The base looks just right to me. The finial is taller than we usually see but I like it. If everyone started using the same proportions, we would lose some of the variety that makes this fun.

Jim Burr
09-25-2011, 8:26 AM
On the shorter finial boat, but the rest is really cool!

John Keeton
09-25-2011, 8:32 AM
Mike, you did a great job on this one! The wood is very nice, and the form looks good to me. I endorse trying new things with turnings, and the tall finial makes a statement here. Nice work!

For what it is worth, most of Keith's turnings of this style are very petite - in the range of 6" tall including the finial.

charlie knighton
09-25-2011, 10:26 AM
very nice, i like the tall finial, gives it personality that the 1/3 to 2/3 ratio's sameness supports

Steve Schlumpf
09-25-2011, 11:18 AM
Nice work Michael! Good looking form and I really like the way the lid is recessed. Also like the detail work on the bulb portion of the finial. Not convinced on the length of the finial as it does overpower the form - but you just never know what folks in an art show will love! Good luck!

David DeCristoforo
09-25-2011, 11:23 AM
If there is anything "wrong" with this, it's the photo! The wrinkled sheet and strong shadow do not do justice to the piece. Block out the shadow and the "too tall" finial works. Proportions are important but every rule has exceptions. A giraffe has a "too long" neck but, somehow, it works on the giraffe. The finial is sweet... the gentle curve from top to bottom is beautifully subtile but easy to miss since the background distracts the eye. The nod to Keith is unmistakable as the finial is based on his "signature" design but the form itself does not say "Keith Burns" to me.

Betty Fox
09-25-2011, 11:33 AM
Michael,
Beautiful. Don't change a thing.

Michael E. Thompson
09-25-2011, 2:40 PM
Thanks for all the great feedback. I am still working to figure out these finials. A long time ago, I think it was Steve S, suggested looking into Keith's finials. When it came time to turn the finial, I was a bit stumped, and remembered what Steve had said.

David D is correct, the poor picture does really make a difference. Sure am glad to have this group to bounce this stuff off of. I just wish I had more time in the shop.

Mike