PDA

View Full Version : My first mortise and tenon

Paul Cahill
09-24-2011, 10:00 PM
For those of you who have made hundreds and or even thousands of these, you may have no idea how intimidating they can appear. My recent workbench had several M&T joints but I don’t really count them as I created them by strategic use of laminations. I am well aware there are many ways to make both the mortises and the tenons, which to a certain extent only added to my trepidation. Initially, I thought the mortises would be the most difficult. When I got my drill press, I bought the Delta mortise attachment having read both positive and negative reviews. Thereafter, it seemed that I only noticed the negative (some very negative) reviews. Once I decided that the approach I wanted was to drill a square hole, I figured I may as well try out the attachment I already had, having nothing to loose at that point. I was very pleasantly surprised at how well it worked right out of the box. I suspect that the main reason it worked was that the attachment was made to fit the drill press size I have. The various adapters to fit smaller presses may be where the alignment problems arise.
Having gotten over that hurdle, I set about sharpening the mortise chisels – more confusion. This was not helped by the Delta manual suggesting having them professionally sharpened. Roland Johnson’s video on the FWW site was helpful, but I was still confused about what bevel angle I had and what sharpening cone to get. I ended up getting the inexpensive one from LV and it worked fine. So a little work on the outside of the chisels, with 200, 400 and 800 paper:

Then I ran the cones on the inside:

I followed this with a light pass on the outside again to get the burr.

I also cleaned up the center of the chisel and the bits with files, and then tried some more cutting. It was noticeably easier to cut a hole:

The project I am working on, a loft bed for my daughter, has several long rails that need tenons, and a tenon jig on the table saw will not work. Therefore, I decided to go the bandsaw route for the cheeks and the TS for the shoulders. I started out using my LN rabbet block plane to sneak up on the fit but I had great difficulty keeping the cheeks parallel, and the shoulders weren’t quite right either. I broke done and got the LV router plane and small shoulder plane and am very pleased with them and the results. I found Derek Cohen’s tutorial on his website very helpful, although I am a committed tailed tool user, in contrast to Derek.

I was able to get a nice tight fit between the two boards with a snug fit on the inside.

I have about 40 M&T joints to do, so I am underway.

Peter Quinn
09-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Paul, I feel your excitement. Congrats! I made my first M&T on a test piece in DF using a hand drill and dull chisel, glued it up and hung it between the joists in my shop. I used to reach up and hang from it occasionally partly to test it but mainly to remind myself that I'd made something durable and precise without any help from NASA. Feels good. At some point it fell, in one very harsh piece, and hit my head, after which I oxidized it. (burnt in the fire place.) Looks like yours will go on to live a long healthy life.

Stephen Cherry
09-25-2011, 12:53 AM
Woo Hoo, looks great.

Check out this video, by the time you get your project done, this will be you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vhs4hFoLag&feature=related