PDA

View Full Version : Mesquite Urn

John Keeton
09-24-2011, 7:35 PM
Kathy Marshall, bless her big ol' heart!, sent me a really nice chunk of mesquite and challenged me to turn something green/wet! In my quest for deviating from the norm, I sketched out an urn I thought would work with the wood. The piece of mesquite was rather long - about 10-11", and that gave me room to have grain match all the way through the knob.

Kind of different, but I kind of like it. I debated on the knob, and whether it was too large (looked good on paper!) Steve S. previewed a pic, and after a phone conversation with him, I decided to leave it as is. Steve asked if I hollowed the knob!!!:eek: NO!!

This one is just barely over 7" to the top of the knob, 6" to the top of the form, and the larger bead is at 4" from the base. It is hollowed to a little over 1/8" and is still very wet! Only BLO at this point, wet sanded to 600. I suspect after it dries, and if it remains intact, and the lid still fits (lot of "ifs"), I will finish it out with WOP.

Thanks, Kathy, for the beautiful wood! As you and others have said, turning wet mesquite is sweet!! Turns like butter.

Let me know your thoughts!

Rich Aldrich
09-24-2011, 7:50 PM
John - Nice work. I really like the form on this urn. The wood is really nice also. I plan to get into hollow forms this winter.

charlie knighton
09-24-2011, 8:10 PM
i really like the grain, the overall form is different for you John

Kathy Marshall
09-24-2011, 8:18 PM
Very nice urn John! I like the knob and how it mirrors the form, it works for me.
I like seeing these forms that deviate from the norm, the possiblities are endless.
I think you'll be surprised at how well it retains its shape as it dries and my bet would be that the lid will still fit.

Happy to have broadened your horizons and glad you enjoyed turning green!

Roger Chandler
09-24-2011, 9:04 PM
You are on a roll today! Nicely done!

Bill Walsh
09-24-2011, 10:11 PM
John, nice job on keep the grain linded up and the proportions... Pretty wood!!!!

David DeCristoforo
09-24-2011, 10:33 PM
I've been racking my brain for an hour trying to get a grip on why this feels so familiar. Having spent very little time in bars, it took my a while to come up with it but this reminds me of a cocktail shaker. A very nice cocktail shaker to be sure. I was wondering how long it would be before you posted a mesquite piece!

Baxter Smith
09-24-2011, 10:33 PM
Pretty wood and urn John. I particularly like the the way you fitted the lid and knob.

Baxter Smith
09-24-2011, 10:36 PM
.....this reminds me of a cocktail shaker. A very nice cocktail shaker ......
Very observant! I have to say I agree.

Bernie Weishapl
09-24-2011, 10:38 PM
Really nice urn John. I do like that form and the knob. I have turned quite a bit of mesquite and it generally doesn't move at all. Not to say it won't but is a pretty stable wood.

Doug W Swanson
09-24-2011, 10:42 PM
Beautiful work, John. I really like the form on this and the wood really looks nice!

John Keeton
09-25-2011, 8:21 AM
Thanks, all - let's just hope it remains stable as it dries!! Without a lid that fits, there isn't much to this one that would support keeping it around.
I've been racking my brain for an hour trying to get a grip on why this feels so familiar. Having spent very little time in bars, it took my a while to come up with it but this reminds me of a cocktail shaker. A very nice cocktail shaker to be sure. I was wondering how long it would be before you posted a mesquite piece!That is interesting! To be sure, I have never even consumed a cocktail, much less seen one made! Cheap wine - yes, mixed drinks - no! This piece was actually inspired by a turning I bought in Jamaica decades ago. That one is much larger, and the proportions are not exactly right on it, but it has a neat look to it. This is an adaptation of that form.

Tony De Masi
09-25-2011, 8:36 AM
Nice piece John and probably the best choice of wood for turning wet to completion. Very uncanny in it's stability.

Well done.