PDA

View Full Version : bending Cermark

Doug Griffith
09-24-2011, 2:33 PM
Anybody ever try bending Cermark?

I need to mark aluminum plates that will be riveted to 1.5" diameter round bars. Ideally I could engrave flat and then stamp the curve afterwards.

I'm guessing this process will crack and fail.

Cheers

Frank Corker
09-24-2011, 4:20 PM
I've never tried it Doug, but I doubt that it will crack and fail, it fuses with the metal and it does take a good old pounding.

Lee DeRaud
09-24-2011, 4:40 PM
I'd guess the bending itself would not be a problem, but the impact of the stamping head/die/whatever might be.
If I had a choice, I'd hit it from behind with a convex die rather than from the front with a concave die, if you get my drift.
Or are they thin enough that the rivets will hold the curve without pre-forming?

Doug Griffith
09-24-2011, 5:17 PM
I was going to go slowly from behind with a male/female tool in a pneumatic press.

Material I'm looking at is .029" 430 stainless.

Bill Cunningham
09-24-2011, 8:40 PM
I can't imagine it cracking.. Like Frank said, it fuses with the metal, and probably on a molecular level. The only way I have managed to get it off, is to take some metal along with it..i.e. sanding, or grinding..

Dan Hintz
09-25-2011, 11:54 AM
It's a very thin layer of glass that you're creating with Cermark... while it will probably not be an issue for light curves, I would certainly want to test a handful out before determining it won't be an issue in practice.

Bruce Volden
09-26-2011, 9:27 AM
I don't think it will fail, but you may have to experiment with your text--it could have a different look after being stretched, compressed, or manipulated!

Bruce

Rodne Gold
09-26-2011, 9:57 AM
I have bent SS with Cerdec etc already engraved and it works fine. Im not sure what benders were used to curve it , was strap on labelling for pipes at a Nuke , specs were stingent and the stuff passed. Some quite small radius bends as well , down to 2" diameter tubing.

quangha vn
12-19-2011, 5:26 AM
YEAHH.
I have bent brushed SUS 0.8 mil thick about 3 inch dia. after engraving with cermark and then sticked on 4inch dia. tube. It OK
I think it will be OK if it not too small