PDA

View Full Version : Floor Epoxy Question

Kevin Herber
02-25-2005, 6:13 PM
People have talked about the Rust-o-leum epoxy floor coating for their garage/shops and seem to think a lot of it. Has anyone ever seen or used 'Supercoat Liquid Flooring' two part epoxy? I saw it at Sam's and it is considerably less expensive compared to Rust-o-leum.

-- Kevin

Ken Garlock
02-25-2005, 7:03 PM
Kevin, I have not used the product you mention, but let me tell you what I do use.

When we built our house, the painter would only use the Sherwin Williams "Tile Clad" two part epoxy paint. It has been down for two years and shows no wear where the cars park. I had a 3 car garage, and a two car garage floors painted with the Tile Clad. The only places that have visible concrete are the placed that something has chipped the concrete, not the paint, but the paint and concrete.

I also had Tile Clad put in the workshop, and I have dropped hammers, tools, even pieces of angle iron on the floor, and the paint doesn't even care. I have dropped wood glue on the floor, and instead of trying to wipe it up, I let it harden and knock the glue loose with a putty knife.

Three things: 1)it is only sold as a gallon of part A and a gallon of part B. Mix in equal parts, and have at it. Put it on with a roller, and don't walk on it for at least 24 hrs. Don't drive on it for 2 weeks.
2) It really stinks!
3) It costs around $85 for the two gallons, which on a $per gallon price puts in the high quality paint price range.

Did I mention that it stinks? :(

IMO, you can't go wrong with Tile Clad. :cool:

Jim Andrew
02-26-2005, 8:20 AM
Walmart paints are made by Sherwin Williams, so that product at Sams may
be exactly the same as that tileclad. Only difference I can tell in their
paints is the price, and sometimes the Walmart is better quality, because
they spec their own paint. In years past I found the Sherwin Williams
products losing quality, and when I found Walmart paints, they were a
great improvement, especially in wall paints, where you would like to be
able to clean a wall without washing off the paint. Jim

John Weber
02-26-2005, 9:06 AM
Kevin,

I've had the Rust-o-leum 2-part epoxy for at least five years. Other then a little fading it is great. No chipping or other problems. I used the tan on a old garage floor. I did the full degrease, acid etch treatment, and it needed two coats, as the first coat soaked in like crazy, but I would do it again. Makes sweeping the shop a breeze, and looks 100% better then a 40 year old stained concrete floor.

John

Alan Schaffter
02-26-2005, 9:52 AM
Has anyone used or wish they has used the non-skid flakes (shark flakes?) when they put down the epoxy?

John Weber
02-26-2005, 10:20 AM
No flakes, and happy with the floor. For the first 6 months it was a little slick, but now it's just great.

John

Mike Forsman
02-26-2005, 11:59 AM
When I moved into my new home 3 years ago, I put down a Valspar 2 part epoxy that I got from one of the big box stores (don't remember which one). I was fortunate in that of my shop/garage stuff was in storage when we moved in so I didn't need to worry about coating part of the floor and then moving stuff from the uncoated side to the coated side.

I followed the floor prep instructions. This included a degrease step (new home so there was only minor grease to remove). An acid etch step followed by using the garden hose to rinse out all traces of the acid. I then made sure the floor was completely dry which took several days. Applied the epoxy with a roller. We were doing a 3 car garage so I enlisted the help of two other people to start at one end of the shop/garage and move to the other end. The floor coverage was very close to what was predicted on the package. The stuff does stink so make sure that you have good ventalation.

I didn't put any flakes or traction grip additive into the epoxy. As it is, the floor is great most of the time, but if it is raining and you walk into the shop/garage with wet shoes the floor can get a little bit slippery. I wish that I would have put a small amount of traction grip additive into the epoxy to solve the slippery when wet issue.

It has been 3 years now and the epoxy is holding up really well. I don't have any peeling or areas where the epoxy is even looking thin. The only places where the epoxy is comming up are some minor dings where things have been dropped and the underlaying concrete has chipped. Compared to my previous homes where the shop/garage floor was not painted the difference is like night and day. Clean up is really easy and it makes the shop/garage look much better too.

Ken Garlock
02-26-2005, 12:11 PM
Jim Andrews said "Walmart paints are made by Sherwin Williams, so that product at Sams may be exactly the same as that tileclad. Only difference I can tell in their paints is the price, and sometimes the Walmart is better quality, because they spec their own paint."

Jim, your experience may be different from mine, but I had one heck of time matching Glidden paint bought at Target to the paint available at an actual Glidden paint store.(Target was out of stock.) The Glidden bought at Target did not have a corresponding number at the Glidden store.

Yes, I will agree that Wally World, and the "borgs" spec their own products. That is exactly why I go the the manufacturer stores to get the real thing. IMO, the manufacturer markets a superior product to the " quick, cheap, meet my price" specs of a discount store. That is my opinion, but you may have have experience that differs. :confused:

Jim Andrew
02-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Ken, 20 or 25 years back, Sherwin Williams had wall paint in their
contractor line, that you could scrub with mr clean or other products. All
of a sudden, I found that those cleaning products took the paint off the
wall. When talking to the rep, they recommended cleaning only with a
damp cloth. So I started looking for other sources for paint, and happened
to try the wallyworld product. It was like using the old SW that was great!
In visiting with painters still using SW, they have to use the TOTL product
to have any cleanability. So that is why I use Wallyworld paint. Jim

Ken Garlock
02-27-2005, 4:45 PM
Ken, 20 or 25 years back, Sherwin Williams had wall paint in their
contractor line, that you could scrub with mr clean or other products. All
of a sudden, I found that those cleaning products took the paint off the
wall. When talking to the rep, they recommended cleaning only with a
damp cloth. So I started looking for other sources for paint, and happened
to try the wallyworld product. It was like using the old SW that was great!
In visiting with painters still using SW, they have to use the TOTL product
to have any cleanability. So that is why I use Wallyworld paint. Jim

Jim, I would never ever guessed that would happen. I had always considered S/W to be one of the top 3 or 4 paint companies.

I wish I could get Benjamin Moore paint easily down this way. :cool: