PDA

View Full Version : How to glue green baize?

Michael Hunter
09-24-2011, 10:47 AM
I'm wondering about the best way to glue down green baize (felt-like material) onto wood.
I want it to be firmly stuck and smooth, but don't want the glue to squeeze up through the material.

So, is there a favourite glue and method?

Thanks

Chris Fournier
09-24-2011, 11:08 AM
Something like 3M Super 77 would work. I use a spray contact cement system which would be perfect for your application but its $700 to get going, Super 77 is about $10.

Steve Kohn
09-24-2011, 3:01 PM
Something like 3M Super 77 would work. I use a spray contact cement system which would be perfect for your application but its $700 to get going, Super 77 is about $10.

+1, Spray adhesive is what I use. Sometimes I'll spray 2 coats on the wood. Try a small sample first.

Leo Passant
09-24-2011, 6:02 PM
The traditional way of laying baize was to use flour paste, but modern cellulose wallpaper adhesive works just as well. It allows plenty of time to lay the baize and straighten its grain. Scrub it into the raw wood with a nail brush, wait for ten minutes and then do it again to cover any overly absorbent areas. Then lay on the baize and smooth with the palm of the hand. If laying the baize on a card table with a veneered edge, use a bone folder or the round end of a steel ruler to crease the baize into the edges of the veneer. Trim the surplus baize the following day with a sharp chisel or craft knife.

Rich Engelhardt
09-25-2011, 10:58 AM
The traditional way of laying baize was to use flour paste, but modern cellulose wallpaper adhesive works just as well.
Yep - +1.

(The process is called "stretching")

Personally, I prefer to use a sweep instead of my palm to lay the fabric down.
I don't believe you can buy a sweep anymore though.

A sweep is/was a longer bristled version of a wallpaper smoothing brush but made out of horsehair instead of plastic or hemp bristles.

Edit - Wow - it seems that a "sweep" is a little plastic gizmo these days...I guess I better climb back into the time tunnel and go back a half century eh? LOL!
:D

Michael Hunter
09-27-2011, 5:32 AM
Thanks guys.
I'm only doing small pieces, so it looks as though the spray-on contact adhesive is the way to go for this job.
Hadn't heard of using wallpaper paste - that sounds much more economical for larger jobs so its worth remembering.