PDA

View Full Version : Monster Gloat

Rob Sitze
09-24-2011, 12:07 AM
I just received my monster hollowing set up last week. Finally got a chance to try it out. So far I love it. Saves my arms and shoulders from being beat up. Though the laser pointer, I'm not sure I have it set up right, keeps moving around so I took it off. Walnut hollow form I'm working on now. Not sure how it will turn out, has several cracks showing.

mike ash
09-24-2011, 1:13 AM
Rob, I have a monster and love it. My guess on the reason the lazer is moving on you is because the vertical post that the lazer setup mounts to is loose. This happened to me and I tightened it good and haven't had a bit of movement since. Try that and see if it works.

Good luck.

John Keeton
09-24-2011, 6:51 AM
Rob, a big CONGRATS! This is going to significantly improve the enjoyment factor for you. Mike is probably correct on the laser situation. If the post is tight, the laser should not otherwise move on you as there are only two contacts points for movement. While I do move my base around for better access, most of the time I find that having the base at a 45* angle on the ways (with the post toward me) provides better accessibility.

Your form is looking good! I try to work on the cracks before finish hollowing. Take it off the lathe, leaving it in the chuck, and fill the cracks with either CA or with an epoxy mix. If they are large enough to require filler, coffee grounds work very well in walnut.

One other comment - I usually try to finish sand the outside, and sometimes apply the first coat of finish prior to hollowing. The form will often move a little while hollowing, making sanding a little more challenging.

Just some thoughts. You are going to love using this new toy!

Donny Lawson
09-24-2011, 8:47 AM
Congrats on the Monster. I've never done any major hollowing but if I do I know what to get.

Rob Sitze
09-24-2011, 9:05 AM
Thanks all, John, this wood is still pretty green, I filled the cracks up with CA, roughed it out, it's in a paper bag surrounded by shavings to dry a little.

I'll check that the laser is tight, I thought it was, it doesn't move much, just a little. But I've never used a laser before so not sure where to set it at.

Bernie Weishapl
09-24-2011, 9:58 AM
Congrats on the monster. I have one of the first. Randy did some mod's for me and it works great. You are right that it saves beating the arms and shoulders. I agree that your laser may not be tight.