PDA

View Full Version : I need some ideas and tips on venting my new machine

Bryce Mccloud
09-23-2011, 11:38 PM
My Helix is coming in next week!!!!

I have been trying to get my space ready to accommodate the new machine. I'm picking up a computer this weekend and hope to get the software together next week. My next task is to figure out how to vent this thing.

I rent space in a building and my only exterior wall is on the front side facing the street - it is pretty tight on the front side as I have our entrance for the retail (with an ac above it ) a big plate glass window and a garage door.
There is one vent already cut into the roof for a gas heater (the kind that mount up near the ceiling) but nothing beyond that.

I'm planning to get some estimates on cutting a new hole but it might not fly for the landlord -

worst case I suppose I can run a flexible drier vent tube out the garage door when I am cutting but I'm hoping to do something more legit and permanent

My second plan is to T into the stack for the heater or maybe use a Y fitting - I think it would work as the stack to the outside seems oversized, but I need to get some feedback from an HVAC company I reckon.
I'm sure I'm not the only one with a less than perfect building to work with....

What are some of the solutions you all have come up with?
any tips as I plan this out?
how far can you run rigid vent pipe without causing issues?

thanks in advance

Bryce

Gary Hair
09-24-2011, 1:09 AM
Bryce,
There are probably a lot of ways you can get it to work, sounds like you have a few ideas already. One tip that is probably the best advice I can give is to setup your blower so that it is "sucking" the exhaust from inside to outside instead of "blowing" it. The blower should be at the very end of the run of pipe, preferrably outside. If it is blowing the exhaust from inisde to outside then any little leak will vent into your shop, if it sucks out then the leaks will just draw air into the pipe from your shop - big difference!

Gary

Rich Harman
09-24-2011, 1:54 AM
Joining the heater vent is not a good idea. I would bet that it is against code to do so.

Dan Hintz
09-24-2011, 10:59 AM
Joining the heater vent is not a good idea. I would bet that it is against code to do so.
If there's no heater on the stack, I see no code issues... it's no different than any other hole in the wall.

Craig Matheny
09-24-2011, 11:53 AM
"If there's no heater on the stack, I see no code issues... it's no different than any other hole in the wall." I would assume there is a heater being the need for a "T" You will most likely have code issues but we have no idea where you are?

Do not T into the stack you can not control the flow of air will it go outside the building or into the heater. Just run a new vent out the roof your lease should have provisions for modifications, like you will convert it back to original when you leave. Good Luck