PDA

View Full Version : Maple hollow form pyro & texturing

Bill Walsh
09-23-2011, 10:02 PM
This was my first attempt at using a Detail master and an NSK rotary tool with a small carbide ball. Not that happy with the flat spots on the sides and the very base should have been rounded for a little lift effect instead of being so flat but its how we all learn.
The small hollow form is a maple burl about 5" x 5".
The photo was taken tonite after a busy week of researching a camera to buy and picking up a photo tent on my way home from work. My photos will get better once I learn how to use the camera in manual mode.
Thanks for all the advise guys and the tip on dpreview Jamie.

Jeff Fagen
09-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Tell us about your lathe.
Great forms!

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2011, 10:14 PM
Both are really nice. I do like that second one. Well done on both.

Steve Vaughan
09-23-2011, 10:24 PM
Not to be rude here, but I love the lathe setup! WOW! It's like two lathes in one. Oh, and the bowls, yes, they are really nice too. Love the burl one and I love the detail on the other. Great job on both.

Bill Walsh
09-23-2011, 11:16 PM
Jeff, the lathe is a Oneway 1640 that I've had since 02. Its a 2 HP with an outboard attachment and remote on/off switch. The inboard side has my half homemade and half Oneway hollowing system mounted. The laser support is Oneways and is about as good as I've seen mostly because the mount has an arrow that is adjustable and points in the direction of the cutter. The back support is very wide which allows you to move the tool without having to reposition. The "D" bar is 7/8" - 303 stainless steel. Very stout setup. I have a vacuum pump mounted to the wall behind where I stand and since the lathe is in the corner the tools are in racks on the wall (designed after racks I've seen here). This has been an outstanding lathe, thought about upgrading to a 2436 but can't come up with a good reason to. Also have a Powermatic, if I've got a photo of that I'll attach it along with a shot of my sharpening bench.

Donny Lawson
09-24-2011, 9:11 AM
The powermatic looks "lonely".,maybe you could send it to me and I will watch it for you.:D That's the least I could do. Great setup. I think you are ready for anything.

charlie knighton
09-24-2011, 11:59 AM
like your hf's, like the form and pryo on second one, definitely envious of your lathes, lusting after your room, thanks for sharing

Josh Bowman
09-24-2011, 1:23 PM
Bill, I like both of the HF's and really favor the 2nd one.

Baxter Smith
09-24-2011, 11:09 PM
Two nice forms from two nice lathes!

John Keeton
09-25-2011, 8:44 AM
Bill, you sure know how to get these folks salivating!! Posting pics of your lathes in this thread is like waving candy in front of a child! Great shop!!

Really nice work on both of these, and the pyro/texturing work on the vase form is very well designed.