PDA

View Full Version : My Second Finial Star

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2011, 8:44 PM
This is my second finial star and is from some pecan I got from Mike Smith. I was just sick as I was turning the lid I had turned to get another tool and heard a pop. I turned around to look and the lid had split into. So the lid is maple. Both pieces are dyed with the under side of the lid and inside the bowl green. The outside was dyed red both using transtint dye. It is finished with lacquer and is 6" across and 6 1/2" high. I really like the way this one turned out and the wife just told my son 1/2 hr ago that is was not for sale period.:eek: He asked me if he could buy it but she said no before I could open my mouth.

Dan Cannon
09-23-2011, 9:07 PM
Wow, that's a beauty Bernie! I like everything about it, the form, the star shape, the color and the finial...all great! Do you bandsaw the star shape into the blank before turning, or the other way around? Either way, again, beautiful. Thanks for sharing
Dan

Allan Ferguson
09-23-2011, 9:11 PM
Nice colors and not an easy project. It is little wonder the wife has attached herself to it.

Russell Neyman
09-23-2011, 9:18 PM
Nice Bernie. Is the finial black lacquer? Or ebony?

Harry Robinette
09-23-2011, 9:37 PM
Bernie
Very nice another great job. Looks like your getting these Stars down pretty good.

charlie knighton
09-23-2011, 9:39 PM
i agree, i like this one the best Bernie, you must be getting ready for the holidays with your color choices

Doug W Swanson
09-23-2011, 9:53 PM
Nice work, Bernie. It looks like a perfect Christmas dish!

Bill Walsh
09-23-2011, 10:11 PM
Very nice Bernie, Its good to keep a few turning in your home to show off and this one looks like a keeper...

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Thanks again. One of our best friends come over tonight for a visit. My wife showed them the piece. Sherry wanted to buy it on the spot but the wife was rather insistant it wasn't for sale. She wants me to make her a couple. I told her I would need to think about it and maybe do some design changes because I didn't like copying someone's piece then selling it. So guess I will see what I can come up with. I have got a few idea's that I have been thinking about so will see what comes.

Dan I cut the star after I have it all finished. I bandsaw out the shape making sure not to cut the line. I then take my oscillating spindle sander and sand it to the line for a smooth finish.

Charlie and Doug it is kinda funny. Those are the only transtint colors I have on hand right now. But I didn't even think about Christmas.LOL

Russell the finial is maple and finished with India ink. Then lacquered.

John Keeton
09-23-2011, 10:36 PM
Bernie, this is my favorite of the two - and, some really deep colors, too.

Bernie Weishapl
09-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Thanks John. That pecan from Mike Smith sure soaked up the dye and like Drozda's DVD I sprayed the piece after the dye to blend it and it sure brought out the color.

Dennis Puskar
09-24-2011, 12:09 AM
Great job on the second real nice, third time is a charm.

Kathy Marshall
09-24-2011, 2:36 AM
Looks great Bernie! Looks like you've got finial turning down and nice job on the dye too!

Roger Chandler
09-24-2011, 7:43 AM
Truly nice work Bernie...........I like this one best as well...........elegant!

Tony De Masi
09-24-2011, 7:47 AM
Very nice work Bernie as it's my favorite of the two as well. Looking forward to what you may come up with if you decide to sell these.

Tom Winship
09-24-2011, 8:41 AM
Great job, Bernie! I like this one better also.

Does the fact you finished this one with lacquer mean that you are not really sold on the GF Woodturners?

Donny Lawson
09-24-2011, 8:58 AM
I like this one even better that the first. The colors jump out at you. I cannot see alot of improvement left to do on this one. It's perfect to me. I am looking foward to seeing what the next one brings. Great job.

Alan Trout
09-24-2011, 9:06 AM
Bernie,

Very nicely done.

Alan

Bernie Weishapl
09-24-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks again. Tom I didn't have the woodturners finish yet when both of these were done so decided to just use lacquer on this one. I didn't put any finish on the cherry one as I was waiting to try the new finish when it came in. I will try it on the next one as I want to see how it reacts with the dye. I do like the woodturners finish as it does not seem to amber the wood as can be seen on the cherry one.

Mike Willeson
09-24-2011, 10:11 AM
The colors on this one really catch your eye. Yep...perfect for Christmas...and of course will look great all year round!

Michelle Rich
09-24-2011, 11:38 AM
looks great Bernie..yep those colors would make great holiday gifts for all the relatives..better get crackin" !!! :-)

Josh Bowman
09-24-2011, 1:24 PM
Good job, like the color.

Bill Wyko
09-24-2011, 4:09 PM
Great job Bernie, Cindy Drozda's dvd is a great tutorial. I plan on taking on one of these in the future. It's a great learning platform to apply to so many other pieces. Her technique for making finials has been a real boost in my pieces as well. Keep up the fantastic work as you always do.

Bernie Weishapl
09-24-2011, 5:18 PM
Thanks again to all. Bill it is so very true. I have all of her DVD's and never get tired of watching her make finials. I got to see her at a demo and she made it look just as easy there. I am thinking about get her vortex tool.

Baxter Smith
09-24-2011, 11:12 PM
Nice job Bernie. I definitely like the
Christmas colors on this one. It will look great all year though!

Bernie Weishapl
09-25-2011, 10:33 AM
Thanks Baxter.