PDA

View Full Version : A week with Chris Vesper

george wilson
09-23-2011, 7:24 PM
Chris left here this afternoon. He was here all week. We were sad to see him go. It was a lot of fun having him here. He certainly is a good sport! I have some hearing loss,and Chris speaks rather from the back of his throat,with his Aussie accent, so I often could not understand what he was saying,particularly if there was another noise at the same time.

He made several knurls off of my knurls,and since I have really been crippled with my knee,he sawed up my 1/2" x 4' x 8' sheet of bronze. I'd bought a used Milwaukee metal cutting saw from Ebay. It cut great. Now I have six pieces of 1'x 4' sheets,and one we left at 2' x 4',in case a larger piece was needed. The smaller pieces weigh about 100# each,and are able to be gotten up onto the Roll In bandsaw for further reduction.

Chris certainly does very tight work,keeping the fitting and accuracy of his tools to a very fine degree. I had to have one of his machinist's squares. It has extra blades for getting down into narrow slots. The 01 steel beam is hardened to 52 R.C.,which is the same hardness as the 1095 spring steel that fine makers of saws these days use. The laser engraved lines on his blades are very thin and accurate.

I find him very honest and reliable to deal with. He's off to the WIA show now.