PDA

View Full Version : need some urns,

curtis rosche
09-23-2011, 1:03 PM
i tried searching the word urn on the forum search, but it says the term is too short to search. im looking for examples of urns to show to my family as a possible urn for my stepfather. if you could post a picture of one you made or the link to the thread, that would be very helpful. thanks for your help

Scott Hackler
09-23-2011, 1:10 PM
try this http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=896351

Bruce Pratt
09-23-2011, 1:37 PM
Curtis,

Google "wood cremation urn" within Google Images. That should give you some good examples.

Very sorry for your loss.
----------------
Bruce Pratt

curtis rosche
09-23-2011, 1:46 PM
i was hoping for some examples of the segmented urns that creekers have made

curtis rosche
09-23-2011, 1:48 PM
try this http://www.sawmillcreek.org/search.php?searchid=896351
your link doesnt seem to work

Scott Hackler
09-23-2011, 2:29 PM
That's odd, it works for me. Just do an advanced search (so it just goes to SMC) for cremation urn

Paul Heely
09-23-2011, 2:31 PM
You can also use google to search just for SMC sites. Try google search like:
segmented urn site:sawmillcreek.org

Sorry for your loss.
Paul

Bill Walsh
09-23-2011, 10:39 PM
Curtis, Sorry for your loss. Sounds like your Stepfather is the reason your turning today. I don't have much advise about segment style urns but I can tell you some of the things I ran into turning an urn for my Brother in Law. Ended up turning three urns out of a very nice piece of maple. Each had small things about them that I didn't like. Hard to pick out the flaws while the piece is still on the lathe but after you've had a chance to look the turning over for a few days the slight flaws seam to really jump out at you. My advise is to turn more then one, try to keep your curves flowing without any flat spots and use the rule of thirds. Your widest dia. at two thirds of the total height, your base a touch smaller then a third but no smaller because you don't the urn to fall over and make the opening smaller then the base. There is a wood turning software site called Creative Woodturning that will allow a 21 day free trial. Very easy to use and you get to see the form and make any changes you feel will help. If you buy the software it will cost you $80.00. I'm no expert but from my experance the second one is always better than the first!!! You can also make a 1/4" plywood template to help keep the curves the way you want them, just a slight change in the curve will show up to your trained eye. Hope this helps.

Thom Sturgill
09-23-2011, 11:04 PM
Sorry for your loss, here's my first attempt

and another larger one

Dave Carey
09-24-2011, 9:11 PM
Curtis,In addition to the other suggestions, Mike Mahoney has a very good DVD on urns, though not segmented ones. I'm sure anything you do will be very much appreciated by your family. Dave

dan carter
09-24-2011, 10:18 PM
This seems to be one one my more popular shapes. This one is a pet urn, 30 pounds approximate. I make slightly larger ones using the same shape and hollow out more for human urns. Hope this helps. Lid and finial is died cherry, lacquer sealed, tung oil finish, and buffed. Urn is lightly spalted maple that is lacquer sealed, tung oil finish, and buffed.

curtis rosche
09-25-2011, 3:31 PM
anymore segmented examples? are there any good "how to" pages for making an urn? does the top need to screw on, or does the inside need a special finish, should it have a certain size opening?

Bill Walsh
09-25-2011, 3:57 PM
Curtis, I don't sand the inside because no one will be opening the urn to inspect, just seal the inside surface. As far as the lid, I guess thats up to you. I thread mine with a Baxter threading jig but there are several other ways. You can turn down some plastic PVC fittings, a coupling and a pipe plug then glue the coupling side into the main body and the plug side under the finial / lid. I try to have the grain end up going the same direction once the lid is tight. Another way is to turn a tenon on the finial / lid then recess a groove that an oring will fit into. Once the lid is all the way down the oring will be caught under the main bodies lip to keep it from opening. I'd make the fit a little loose. If I were going to take the oring route I'd turn a practice piece first to get the fit right. Where the oring groove is placed will have a lot to do with how well it will work! The other way is to just simply glue the top in. Sorry, no help with the segment side of your question..

Marty Eargle
09-25-2011, 4:50 PM
Curtis, sorry for your loss.

You may want to search for segmented vessels, as many standard forms can be very "urn like" when you put a lid on them. Here is a tutorial on how to turn down a PVC threaded insert, much like Bill described.

http://www.woodturningonline.com/Turning/Turning_content/Threaded_inserts_for_urns.pdf

Mike Golka
09-25-2011, 8:48 PM
Curtis sorry for your loss, here is one I'm just finishing. I'm making it at the request of my cousin who has bone cancer. She and her husband have both ordered one.208489

Russell Neyman
09-26-2011, 2:47 AM
email sent per your request, Curtis.