PDA

View Full Version : Any experience with granite as a table top?

Rob Price
09-23-2011, 11:15 AM
I just finished a two year basement job, that included a wall to wall entertainment center, and a small kitchenette in the back. When we had the granite counters installed, I had the guys also make me a 18"x22" table top to use for an end table next to the sofa. The edges are finished and beveled to match the counters. The idea is to make the end table out of the same wood/stain as the entertainment center, and use the matching granite to pull the two rooms together. Pics here:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-lh0sHZynJMM/TnyH0lf__oI/AAAAAAAABeE/Ud7fGKoYRtQ/s640/IMG_0713.JPG
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-3G_yIOrM-0I/TnyNFtoQ_6I/AAAAAAAABew/YcrN5zJ8KB4/s640/IMG_0729.JPG

All the cabinets in the kitchenette match the entertainment center. So my question is- have any of you worked with granite as a table top before? Any special considerations? I'm thinking right now about an open base, big sturdy legs with trim at the bottom matching the baseboards around each leg for a column type look, with a pull out drawer for remotes and stuff. A wide mortise-tenon apron for strength, but I'm stuck at attaching the granite. I was thinking about wrapping the apron around a square of plywood and then just using some silicone caulk/adhesive to attach the granite to the plywood base. With the weight of this thing, do you think I will need side panels on the bottom, or stretchers, or will big legs with a thick apron do the trick? I could do raised panels to match the entertainment center, but they would just be floating and not really add any structural benefit. It will only be tall enough to reach the sofa. I'm going to play around on sketchup tonight. If you guys think this belongs in the design forum I can move it. Thanks.

Dan Hintz
09-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Belinda should be along any time now...

Neil Brooks
In all seriousness, I'd probably reach out to my local granite guy for advice on this.

Beautiful pics, though :)

Charles Brown
Rob, we put granite, silstone, marble, etc. on our vanities all the time at work. Mind you, these vanities are screwed to the wall when installed but none have collapsed under the weight of the stone. Plenty of antiques have 1/2"T stone tops placed on them without ill effect.

How big of a piece of granite are we talking about here? Just try not to make the end table top heavy.

Looks like a nice entertainment centre!

Rob Price
09-23-2011, 12:28 PM
That's another concern- it will be top heavy. If I put a shelf down on the bottom I could find some heavy decorative books or something. The granite is just over 1 1/8" thick.

Bill White
09-23-2011, 12:30 PM
A silicone caulk (clear) will work just fine. That's what I'd use.
Bill

Brian Tymchak
09-23-2011, 1:30 PM
That's another concern- it will be top heavy. If I put a shelf down on the bottom I could find some heavy decorative books or something. The granite is just over 1 1/8" thick.

Just a thought.. Aside from the added cost, how about making the second shelf out of granite as well? That would lower the center of mass of the piece to roughly mid-height and still allow you to use the space on the bottom shelf. the 2nd shelf, regardless of what you make it from, will add some rigidity to the piece as well which I think will be needed with such a heavy top.

Keith Pitman
09-23-2011, 3:58 PM
We have a (manufactured) piece of furniture with a granite top. The granite just sits on the top with no fastener or adhesive. No problems in 15+ years we've had this. We've moved with it three times and it's much easier to move when the top lifts right off. That said, a couple small spots of silicone would keep a slab of granite that size in place.

Prashun Patel
09-23-2011, 4:06 PM
Unsolicited opinion alert: if yr concern is mainly aesthetic, then personally I think an all wood end table with same stain will tie in and match just fine without a granite top.

I've seen many a kitchen table that ties in great with it's surrounding cabinetry despite the difference in countertop and tabletop material.

Rob Price
09-23-2011, 4:47 PM
Sure, an all wood table would work, but I want to try and go with the granite top look if I can- I think it will be a nice addition to the room- and I already have the granite. I like the idea of a second granite level, I'll have to see what the cost would be, hopefully he's got some scraps laying around. Before, this was part of my slab that I bought for the kitchen/bathroom, so all I had to pay for was the labor of cutting it and finishing the edges, so it didn't cost me much up front. I do have a smaller, 18" square piece that is currently sitting next to my Big Green Egg outside, I use it as a cutting board outside. It's square and my 'top' is rectangular... I'll have to chew on that.

I thought about giving the top an border of wood around the edges and then spreading the legs out that much more under the granite- but then the table starts to get huge. The slab is heavy, I may just try a dab of caulk here and there and see what happens, it would be nice to pop it off to move it.

Ted Calver
09-23-2011, 5:07 PM
You might try gluing some small corner blocks to the underside of the granite that would fit inside (but are not attached to) the apron. They would consistently position the top on the base and also allow you to lift it off for moving. I have a larger table (26" x 54" x 1-1/4") and it is a two man job to move it. The blocks are very helpful in positioning the top when we move the table.

Tom Hargrove
09-23-2011, 5:27 PM
I spoke to a client that is a countertop fabricator/installer. He recommends silicone as an adhesive. A dollop at each corner should be enough as long as the table is not going to be moved frequently using the top to carry it with. I would not worry about the strength of the structure as much as I would worry about the table being top heavy and tipping over.

Rob Price
09-28-2011, 3:52 PM
thanks for the replies. Here's kind of a rough draft of what I'm thinking. I will probably add some slats on the sides. The shelf at the bottom will be 3/4 plywood wrapped with a 2" border. My thinking is I could attach weights underneath if I feel like it's needed, or go with a granite second shelf as well. I like the idea of the easily removable top as well. I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Chris Parks
09-29-2011, 6:19 AM
If you don't like the silicone idea a dowel out of the top of each leg and matching holes in the underside of the top would work and easily pulled apart if need be.

David Giles
09-29-2011, 10:22 AM
I have a shop assembly table with a granite top. 30"x36". Works great for over three years being stored outside in the weather. I don't see any problems with your design. Silicone will work fine to attached the top to the wood frame. The weight should not be a problem. It's not that heavy. Consider polishing the ledge underneath the outside edge so that it feels smooth when people run their fingers along it. Round the front granite corners to protect one's thighs? Lookiing forward to pictures of your completed project.