PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a little advice

Mike Palmowski
09-23-2011, 7:53 AM
Ok here is my dilema...

I want to hook up the 2hp HF dust collector to a main trunk line of 6" pipe. I would like to either add a Thein seperator, or add a baffle to the machine itself. Every image I google of this setup uses 4" pipe, should I bail on using 6" pipe, or find a can big enough to handle to 6" holes in the top. Or should I bail on the seperator and just install a baffle directly on the machine. The only other option I can think of is to just run 4" pipe instead of the 6"? Any input would be much appreciated.

Rick Thom
09-23-2011, 8:24 AM
There are HF 2hp units running 6" trucks ok. You should find examples here on SMC and good info over on Phil's site http://www.cgallery.com/smf/index.php?board=1.0 as well as on you-tube.. search for "thien separator". I don't think there is necessarily 1 best solution as each offers it's advantages depending on your setup and requirements. This is proving to be a pretty dynamic item with lots of variations, modifications and alternatives being developed continuously.

Mark Engel
09-23-2011, 9:39 AM
There are some 6" Thein baffles with construction details on Phil's web site. Take a look at some of the 'Top Hat' designs.

Remember that with a separator on a trash can you are removing most of the dust and chips before it gets to the DC. With a baffle inside the DC most of the dust and chips will go into the lower bag. It is much easier to empty the trash can than it is to take off and empty/replace the lower bag on the DC.

Mark Ashmeade
09-23-2011, 10:07 AM
I have a Thien pre- separator on 4" tubing with a 2hp HF sucker. I considered 6" at the time, but struggled to get 6" tubing at reasonable cost. I went with 4", and am pleased with the result. It's been in for about 18 months now. I have barely an inch in the bag, and have emptied the trashcan a good 20 times.

I have a spare trashcan, so I may experiment with a 6" Thien. My shop now has some bigger tools in it, so I'm pondering redoing the whole DC setup. I'll watch this thread with interest.

Mike Palmowski
09-24-2011, 4:09 PM
Thank you for the input, I am going to go to Phil's sight now and look for the 6" top hat deal.