PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking books

Mark Baldwin III
09-22-2011, 10:24 PM
As someone who has had no instruction in woodwork, I'm left with books, the internet, and videos. I also don't have unlimited funds. So my question is, if I wanted to pick between two books, "The Essential Woodworker" and "The Joiner and Cabinet Maker," which one might offer me the best bang for my buck? I've spent plenty of time learning about tools. I'm fairly proficient with my planes (and I've made plenty of them), and my sawing is coming along with practice.
What I want is a resource that will help push me into a project or two or three that someone at my skill level can achieve, and then build upon.
My finished project list is pretty pitiful. I've made some cutting blocks and a utility table for the kitchen, and some simple tool storage. Outside of that, I've mostly concentrated on making and restoring tools. It's time to make stuff!

Andrae Covington
09-22-2011, 11:02 PM
As someone who has had no instruction in woodwork, I'm left with books, the internet, and videos. I also don't have unlimited funds. So my question is, if I wanted to pick between two books, "The Essential Woodworker" and "The Joiner and Cabinet Maker," which one might offer me the best bang for my buck? I've spent plenty of time learning about tools. I'm fairly proficient with my planes (and I've made plenty of them), and my sawing is coming along with practice.
What I want is a resource that will help push me into a project or two or three that someone at my skill level can achieve, and then build upon.
My finished project list is pretty pitiful. I've made some cutting blocks and a utility table for the kitchen, and some simple tool storage. Outside of that, I've mostly concentrated on making and restoring tools. It's time to make stuff!

I have both, and it's not an easy call for me.

In the third section of the Lost Art Press reissue of The Joiner and Cabinetmaker, Chris Schwarz documents the process of building the three projects described in the original text: a wooden packing box, a dovetailed schoolbox, and a chest of drawers. There are lots of black-and-white photos and detailed text. Schwarz believes that progressing through these three projects will really improve your handtool skills quickly. I feel like going from the little schoolbox to a chest of drawers is a leap more than a step, but I have yet to build a chest of drawers, so maybe it's not as tough as I think (yeah right).

The Essential Woodworker I think covers more ground, a wider variety of joints and tasks and situations. There are a few black-and-white photos but it is mostly illustrated with line drawings. The first section is Basic Woodworking Skills, from sharpening and setting up planes to squaring stock, to sawing and boring. The second section is Make a Table or Stool, including mortise and tenons, gluing, scraping, shaping edges, and leveling. The third section is Make a Carcase, showing both doweled and dovetailed versions, shelves, doors, and hardware. The fourth section is Drawers, Handles, and Boxes.

Steve Branam
09-23-2011, 6:38 AM
That's a really tough choice! I have both, and really like both. They do have different teaching styles.

Joiner focuses a bit more on getting going and progressing through practical projects, since it is after all describing the process of getting an apprentice up to speed and able to contribute to the shop. I think for that aspect I would recommend it first.

Essential covers a lot of specific skills and has many practical methods. It's good for skill refinement, but you would also not go wrong using it as a first book.

It's worth getting both over time, whichever one you start with.

Mark Baldwin III
09-23-2011, 7:09 AM
I've been leaning towards "Joiner," but I was looking through the books on LN's site and the description of "Essential" caught my eye. My problem is a simple one...I've gotten a good handle on using the tools I have, tuning etc. However, it's putting the pieces together that I run into a wall. I have half finished projects all over the place, mainly because I'm unsure how to progress. I think you guys get the point. Having a shop full of tools, and half completed "things" is rather depressing when all I have to show for it is one table!
The projects in "Joiner" is what appeals to me, I guess. I was able to learn a great deal in welding/machining when I was a kid because I had proper (stellar, actually) instruction in those fields. When getting into woodwork, some of the basics were easy enough, but getting past that has been difficult.

Jim Belair
09-23-2011, 7:10 AM
I've been debating the same thing Mark and am leaning towards Essential, but I've only perused the two of them in LV.

Jim B

Jonathan McCullough
09-23-2011, 8:23 AM
You may want to try a local library. If your local branch doesn't have those books they probably have a lending agreement with other public and university libraries in the area. Sometimes noodling around on the title search computer and in the stacks can lead to interesting finds. I found Tage Frid and the Woodwright's Shop that way. Best of all, it's a free and valuable public resource.

Jerome Hanby
09-23-2011, 9:10 AM
Great suggestion. I like to own my reference books, but the library makes for a great test driving service. I've got tons of books that I would never have purchased without having borrowed them from the library and probably as many "bad" purchases I avoided on books that sounded good but were actually not worth my money.

You may want to try a local library. If your local branch doesn't have those books they probably have a lending agreement with other public and university libraries in the area. Sometimes noodling around on the title search computer and in the stacks can lead to interesting finds. I found Tage Frid and the Woodwright's Shop that way. Best of all, it's a free and valuable public resource.

Bob Jones
09-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Both are excellent, neither is expensive compared to any single new tool purchase. Buy both, you will not regret it. If you still want just one get the J&CM. It will push you to do those 3 projects. I built the school box and am now working on the chest of drawers. Essential is all about skill building in general. I referred to both in the chest of drawer build, along with a few out of print books.

Augusto Orosco
09-23-2011, 12:08 PM
I've been leaning towards "Joiner," but I was looking through the books on LN's site and the description of "Essential" caught my eye. My problem is a simple one...I've gotten a good handle on using the tools I have, tuning etc. However, it's putting the pieces together that I run into a wall. I have half finished projects all over the place, mainly because I'm unsure how to progress. I think you guys get the point. Having a shop full of tools, and half completed "things" is rather depressing when all I have to show for it is one table!
The projects in "Joiner" is what appeals to me, I guess. I was able to learn a great deal in welding/machining when I was a kid because I had proper (stellar, actually) instruction in those fields. When getting into woodwork, some of the basics were easy enough, but getting past that has been difficult.

As I see it, what you just stated here tilts the scale clearly in favor of the J&CM. Both are great books, but Joiner should better fulfill your current need, IMHO.

Tony Shea
09-23-2011, 3:28 PM
Agreed that "Joiner and The Cabinet Maker" will be your better bet. It will get you going on some actual projects with very good instruction from Chris. Although learning in a book is always more difficult than in person. Never the less this book sounds perfect for you. It sounds like a useless project but the packing box is really a great first project and shouldn't be skipped as most people do. You don't have to make it exactly the way described in order to make it into something useful.

I also agree that the Essential book is a must read as well. Focus is more on specific tasks throughout the book. Which covers a huge amount of ground. Just the lessons learned on sawing are worth the price of the book. Get them both.

Dave Lehnert
09-23-2011, 4:19 PM
I purchased the The Essential Woodworker only because I was at the Popular Woodworking shop. Chris Schwaz was their and thought a good opportunity to get an autographed copy. When I purchased it, I kinda thought it was too basic for me but was wrong. I have learned a great deal from the book. Kinda gets you back to basics.

Bill Moser
09-23-2011, 6:32 PM
Both are excellent. But I have to give yet another plug for Ian Kirby's "The complete dovetail". Also available on Kindle now. With that book, and Thos. Moser's (no relation :() "Measured shop drawings for american furniture", I gained the skill and confidence to build an actual piece of furniture (an end table w/drawer). In the process I learned how to dimension stock (from firewood, even), cut basic M&T joints, and killer dovetails. I have a million books and a few dvds on woodworking. The best thing is to get to sawing, chopping and planing -- the guidance from all the book-learnin' really becomes concrete and tangible when you set metal to wood. Lot's of things (good and bad) that you haven't imagined will happen then, and you'll start to understand the joys (and frustrations) of working with wood. If you do as Ian Kirby and others suggest -- practice first, outside of any particular project -- you'll experience more joy and less frustration :)

Mark Baldwin III
09-29-2011, 6:50 PM
My copy of "Joiner" showed up today. I've managed a quick glance through the projects, and I believe it's exactly what I needed. I'll start with the simple box and refine dimensioning skills. I can see a use for a box or two like that anyway. Thanks for all of the replies. Now I need to finish my kitchen so that I can get back into my shop!