PDA

View Full Version : Dust collection off size ports

cecil dean
09-22-2011, 8:27 PM
Installing a DC in my shop and have been trying to find connectors for some of the smaller tools. My Boss sander has a 1 3/4 inch od port, Miter saw has a 1 5/8 inch port. I am planning to run 2 1/2 inch flex hose to these tools so I need to find reducers that will work. ant suggestion on how to do this?
Cecil

Steve Baumgartner
09-22-2011, 9:32 PM
Installing a DC in my shop and have been trying to find connectors for some of the smaller tools. My Boss sander has a 1 3/4 inch od port, Miter saw has a 1 5/8 inch port. I am planning to run 2 1/2 inch flex hose to these tools so I need to find reducers that will work. ant suggestion on how to do this?
Cecil
You can get stepped and tapered adapters at places like Woodcraft and Rockler. Just cut it off at the diameter you need. Be warned, though, that most DC's don't pull all that well through small couplers and ports. The small opening acts like an almost closed valve and cuts off most of the pressure, causing the DC to move less air than you'd expect. Shop vacuums are designed to work at higher pressure, and a good one might actually pull in as much or more air than a DC.

Dan Friedrichs
09-22-2011, 9:45 PM
You can also use Fernco couplers (rubber plumbing adapters). But as Steve said, those small ports are designed for use with a shop vac, not a dust collector - you may want to test the performance before your finalize everything (just duct tape some stuff together and try it out - you may or may not see the performance you expect)

cecil dean
09-22-2011, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the information. I had not thought about the reduction in air flow.

Rod Sheridan
09-23-2011, 8:32 AM
Hi, I've used my cyclone for years with a random orbital sander, it works perfectly since the sander fan aids the cyclone in dust collection.

The only bad thing is that the cyclone filters clog faster than design as the cyclone has a hard time separating fine dust.

The mitre saw won't work well, they don't work well period with dust collection even with a large hood at the rear and the tool port used. That said, any collection is better than none, and for the mitre saw a good vacuum is helpful.

Regards, Rod.