PDA

View Full Version : Table Saw Crosscut Sled, 5 Cut Method, and Bevel Cuts

Glen Blanchard
09-22-2011, 5:45 PM
I have a homemade crosscut sled that I use on my table saw dialed in by using the 5 cut method. This thing is deadly accurate. It is used for 90 degree cuts only. I am making another sled to be utilized for 45 degree bevel cuts only, and I am thinking through how to utilize the 5 cut method with the blade tilted. I would prefer the only kerf in this sled to be that of a blade tilted at 45 degrees, thus creating a zero clearance cut. However, I want to use the 5 cut method again to calibrate the fence and I can't quite wrap my head around how I can get around first having to make a 90 degree cut to set the fence. The only thing I can think of is to make a replaceable zero clearance insert to cover the 90 degree kerf. Any other ideas?

Alan Schwabacher
09-22-2011, 5:55 PM
If it's a single runner sled, just make it for the side of the saw the blade tilts toward, and you'll cut off the square edge when you make the 45 degree cut.

Or use the 5 cut method with the blade tilted. It should work fine, except that your correction is off by a factor of .707.

Or make a replaceable ZCI for your sled, and you can use it either way with the proper ZCI installed.

John Nesmith
09-22-2011, 6:50 PM
That's a good question Glen. If you are measuring the offcut after the last (5th) cut with calipers, can you not do the same with the beveled offcut?

Edit:

It just occurred to me that measuring both ends of the beveled offcut with calipers (as I do) may compress the sharp beveled edge of the offcut to varying degrees, making the comparative measurements inaccurate.

Peter Quinn
09-22-2011, 8:30 PM
I don't see any issue using a 5 Cut test on a bevel. Your bevel represents one plane, but you are not checking or changing that plane with this test. The second pass through that first side (cut 5) will yield an off cut whose thickness will still demonstrate squareness the same way, but it will have beveled edges. You can still measure the thickness in an identical manner. SHould be accurate assuming you can use that sharp beveled edge as a reference surface against your fence for successive cuts.

For clarity, take a SCMS and tilt the head to a bevel. Make a cut. Advance the stock 1/2" and make another cut. You have an off cut whose thickness can easily be measured. Same idea for the 5 cut method, just that the first cut of each series will not be measurable, but those are irrelevant.

glenn bradley
09-23-2011, 12:29 AM
I struggled with this. As mentioned the measuring of the beveled edges was fraught with error. I finally gave up, aligned it at 90* and have used it at 45* ever since without issue. I did lose the ZCI effect as I had made the sled prior to realizing I should have made it with inserts like my other sleds. As soon as it bugs me enough I will retrofit an insert into the bed and the fence or rebuild.

Glen Blanchard
09-24-2011, 1:51 PM
For those of you who might be interested, here's what I wound up doing. I squared the fence using the 5 cut method with the blade set at 90 degrees. I considered milling out a dado into which I could place a ZCI, but thought I'd try another method. I milled a piece of hardwood to 1/8" x 3/4" (the thickness of the BB plywood) and then glued it into the (90 degree) kerf. After the glue was set, I angled the blade to 45 degrees and made my cut. I now have zero clearance at 45 degrees and a deadly accurate sled.

glenn bradley
09-24-2011, 2:21 PM
For those of you who might be interested, here's what I wound up doing. I squared the fence using the 5 cut method with the blade set at 90 degrees. I considered milling out a dado into which I could place a ZCI, but thought I'd try another method. I milled a piece of hardwood to 1/8" x 3/4" (the thickness of the BB plywood) and then glued it into the (90 degree) kerf. After the glue was set, I angled the blade to 45 degrees and made my cut. I now have zero clearance at 45 degrees and a deadly accurate sled.

Glen, that is one slick solution. I am going to use that technique (although my slot is odd shaped) to retro-fit my current bevel sled. Much easier than tearing into it to add a ZCI. Thanks for sharing that.

Glen Blanchard
09-24-2011, 5:57 PM
I was brainstorming last night and thought of this idea. Tried it out this afternoon. Worked like a charm. Here's an image.

Stan Krupowies
09-24-2011, 6:22 PM
I have a homemade crosscut sled that I use on my table saw dialed in by using the 5 cut method. This thing is deadly accurate.

What kind of measurements did you get on the last cut?

Glen Blanchard
09-24-2011, 6:51 PM
What kind of measurements did you get on the last cut?

The final cut was off by .001" over about 13".