PDA

View Full Version : Splicing buried electric line

Brian Tymchak
09-22-2011, 1:21 PM
Hey all,

I have a question about the electrical code that I hope one of the master electricians on this site would answer for me. I live in Central OH. Just had some storm drainage lines replaced around my house. While trenching one of the runs, they cut through the electric wire to my walkway lamp post. (I told them the wire was there, but oh well.. I'll save the rant about crappy service for another post.. ) They spliced in a 12" section of wire using waterproof wire nuts. It didn't work. I used a cheap electric current tester and found no current on the house side of the break. So I figure they broke the wire farther back from the break. They decided it was my problem, buried the splice, and left. (Nice, huh?) Actually, when I saw how this issue was going, I was happy to get them off my property.

Anyway, here's the question: Does a splice like that in a buried line meet code? I googled around and found conflicting answers. If the splice meets code, I'll dig back along the line, checking at points to isolate the break, then splice from there. I figure the break is fairly close to the actual cut, maybe 2-3'. If the splice doesn't meet code, I'll have to bury a new line (about 90'). A much better solution but also a lot more work, or the expense of an electrician doing the work for me.

I haven't discussed this issue yet with the business owner, but right now I'm pretty much of the opinion that I don't want them to fix this.. Maybe I can get a credit on the job by fixing it myself.

Thanks for your help,
Brian

David G Baker
09-22-2011, 1:54 PM
ACE Hardware sells what you need. All you have to do is get the right splice for the size of wire you need to splice. I cut my supply line to my shop with my front end loader on my tractor and the splice Ace sold worked great. The wire was 3 legs of #2 aluminum. The splice has all of the material you need to splice and seal it. Don't know what code says about splicing.

ray hampton
09-22-2011, 4:53 PM
I believe that all splices are required to be inside of a junction box but a cut in the line may be unsafe

dave toney
09-22-2011, 5:02 PM
I would use the type of splices that are used on submersible well pumps, if it is good enough to work under water it should be fine in the ground.
Dave

Dan Hintz
09-22-2011, 7:53 PM
If you have any EE tech friends, ask one to run a TDR measurement on the line... that should narrow down the problem area to within a few inches.

Ed Griner
09-23-2011, 6:11 AM
This is only a suggestion,run a new piece of wire. Ed

Larry Edgerton
09-23-2011, 6:21 AM
I would use the type of splices that are used on submersible well pumps, if it is good enough to work under water it should be fine in the ground.
Dave

No idea on code, but this is what I use as well.

Larry

Brian Tymchak
09-23-2011, 12:41 PM
Thanks for tips guys. I think I will follow the line back 4-5' and check for current. Then use one of the splice kits that David or Dave recommended. If I can't find the break within a few feet, I guess I'll bite the bullet and bury a new line.

Dan, I had never heard of a TDR measurement, so I googled it up. Pretty cool. I didn't know that kind of test could be done. Wish I knew an electrical guy who could do that for me but no luck.

Thanks, Brian

Myk Rian
09-23-2011, 1:02 PM
Our neighbor was installing a deck. Called Miss Dig. They checked around the front and found nothing, then told him there was no reason for a wire in the back yard.
PO had run a 220 line for the garage. Guess what, we cut the line with the auger. So much for Miss Dig.
Cable was spliced and all is fine.

Bryan Morgan
09-23-2011, 2:18 PM
I believe that all splices are required to be inside of a junction box but a cut in the line may be unsafe

I think thats only for interior wiring in the walls and conduit outside the walls. But then I'm not an electrician... :D I do work with them a lot though.

ray hampton
09-23-2011, 3:36 PM
Byran may be right about the interior splices BUT if inside work required a junction box then a box or a section of PVC conduit to cover the splice should be required outside also

David G Baker
09-23-2011, 4:49 PM
Ray H,
The wire is buried so it dosen't need a junction box. A properly spliced and buried at the correct depth wire is probably better than a junction box except when it is cut by accident with digging tools and equipment.

ray hampton
09-23-2011, 6:26 PM
the frost line in this state are around three feet, I am not sure where this spliced wire are in relation to the house BUT IF THE SPLICE-wire away from the house wall and a very heavy truck drive over the splice-wire junction or stop with the wheel directly over the splice, do you know what will happen to the splice ?

dave toney
09-23-2011, 6:43 PM
the frost line in this state are around three feet, I am not sure where this spliced wire are in relation to the house BUT IF THE SPLICE-wire away from the house wall and a very heavy truck drive over the splice-wire junction or stop with the wheel directly over the splice, do you know what will happen to the splice ?

I'll bet that it will be no different than the same weight on an un-spliced wire.

John alder
09-23-2011, 6:57 PM
I bought a water proof tape for my RV's roof called "Eternabond"it was originally developed for under water cables.Great stuff a bit pricy.Find it at a camper supply store or google it they will send you a CD on it.Comes in 3 inch widths.