PDA

View Full Version : Tips on splitting a Large tree round

John alder
09-22-2011, 12:41 PM
I have this Norway maple down and am cutting it in 18 in rounds.I have joint pain in both shoulders and need a way to split the rounds at least in half or thirds to be able to move them to my splitter,using a maul or wedges are out for me now due to age & arthritis.Any one out there know of a better way?I can't easily move the splitter to the tree.TIA for any help208191

Larry Browning
09-22-2011, 1:26 PM
Go to your local high school football coach and ask him to recommend the biggest lineman he has who lives on a farm and then pay him $20 to do it for you. (well, maybe $50)
I know I used to be able to do this stuff myself, but have discovered that as I get older I can no longer safely do the things I used to be able to do. It's just the way it is and you can't do anything about it. Getting older is better than the alternative though!

John Coloccia
09-22-2011, 1:33 PM
I've split logs like that with a relatively small log splitter. Does yours go vertical? You would be surprised just how little of the log you need to get on there to get it to split. Getting it vertical is the key, IMHO.

Ted Calver
09-22-2011, 1:47 PM
If you don't opt for the high school football player, actually, even if you do, I recommend you invest in a nurseryman's ball cart. If you routinely need to move log rounds the long handles give you great leverage and they typically are rated for 500-1000lbs (not that I recommend trying that). They are designed to move large balled and burlapped trees, so they have strong steel frames and large balloon tires. Mine has saved my back lots of wear and tear over the years and it's been one of my best investments. Photos from Google:

curtis rosche
09-22-2011, 2:19 PM
send it to a tood turner :P

Charles Wiggins
09-22-2011, 2:29 PM
That's a conundrum. I've always relied on good tools and brute force. I have a splitting ax (http://www.newagearbor.com.au/shop/prod334.htm) that works on the first swing about 60% of the time, but you have to be able to swing it. I think I'd ask around and see if a buddy who could help might have a vertical splitter.

If I couldn't get help and I couldn't swing a maul or sledge I would still go with wedges. You could cut a notch in the end grain with a saw to get you started and use a small 3-4 lb. drilling hammer. I do this a lot with difficult cross grain sections. The slow methodical tapping seems to make better headway than flailing away with the sledge. I have a couple of different style wedges. If you can find the type that have the extra protrusions on the sides (http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Splitting-Wedge-5-lb/dp/B000P5N0QG) - those things are great.

curtis rosche
09-22-2011, 2:38 PM
they make a splitting tool that isnt swung. its a pole with a wedge on the end and has a weight you pick up and drop to make it split. not sure what its called or where to get it though

David Weaver
09-22-2011, 4:02 PM
I have this Norway maple down and am cutting it in 18 in rounds.I have joint pain in both shoulders and need a way to split the rounds at least in half or thirds to be able to move them to my splitter,using a maul or wedges are out for me now due to age & arthritis.Any one out there know of a better way?I can't easily move the splitter to the tree.TIA for any help208191

Rip them with the chainsaw. it's not the fastest thing in the world if you don't go get the proper chain for it, but we cut and split 10-12 cords of wood to burn when I was a kid, all of it split by hand. Every year. If we got one of those crotches or any piece that had hidden goodies where the maul and/or wedges would bounce off of it, then off to the chainsaw it went. We didn't have any specialty chains or bars - and it wasn't fast- but it worked fine and all of the saws that did all of that extra running, well...they still run just fine.

ray hampton
09-22-2011, 4:17 PM
they make a splitting tool that isnt swung. its a pole with a wedge on the end and has a weight you pick up and drop to make it split. not sure what its called or where to get it though

how do the name " sliding hammer " sound to you
also called a IMPACT HAMMER

John alder
09-23-2011, 6:48 PM
I have one of those they are worth less unless you are making kindling out of easy splitting dry wood only thing I used it for was to cut roots on a bush I was digging out.got it as a gift.