PDA

View Full Version : Battery rebuilds...help

Mike Cruz
09-22-2011, 8:11 AM
I've seen discussions here on the Creek re: getting batteries for cordless tools rebuilt. My understanding is that rebuilds are better than "new". What about cost? Does anyone have a good recommendation for a company that does it? I tried searching the site for the thread(s) but I don't often have a lot of luck doing that...impatient...inept...incontinent...whatever. Thanks for your help.

Gene Howe
09-22-2011, 8:17 AM
Here is a place that was recommended to me. I haven't used them yet, though.

Batteries (http://mtobattery.com/store/page2.html)

Bob Wingard
09-22-2011, 8:31 AM
I've used him and am very pleased. Cheaper than new replacements and longer lasting (higher AMP rating) cells, so yes, they are actually better than new. He charges strictly based on the number of cells used plus a small labor fee. He was very good to deal with, and I've recommended him to several friends.

Gil Knowles
09-22-2011, 8:42 AM
Mike
If you want to rebuild yourself, this site provides information.
http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=587

Gil

Ed Labadie
09-22-2011, 8:49 AM
Here is a place that was recommended to me. I haven't used them yet, though.

Batteries (http://mtobattery.com/store/page2.html)

I had some done 3-4 months ago. The batteries work great, fast turnaround. I'll use them again.

Ed

Jim Laumann
09-22-2011, 9:21 AM
I will throw my experience in to the mix....

I had 2 Milwaukee 12v (Ni-cads?) batteries rebuilt at a local battery retailer in my area. They worked well for 6 months or so, and went down hill from that point. After many rounds of use and frustration w/ the rebuilts, I bought new ones. Have used them hard the last couple years, and they are still going.

Am guessing the replacements were cheap / low quality.

Jim

Matt Meiser
09-22-2011, 10:13 AM
I had 4 rebuilt by MTO and was happy with the results. Some were Ryobi 12V packs and they took a lot longer to charge after rebuild due to the much higher capacity cells. But they also lasted a lot longer. I no longer own any of the tools as I sold them all a year or two later and went to all LI-ION Milwaukee tools so I can't speak to how they held up real long term.

Susan Kahler
09-22-2011, 11:32 AM
Interstate Batteries All-Battery Centers, Batteries + and Batteries Unlimited all offer this service, if you are looking for a retail outlet.

Dave Lehnert
09-22-2011, 12:18 PM
I just had a PC 12 volt pack rebuilt by Batteries Plus. cost was $32.99. What are others paying?

Jerome Hanby
09-22-2011, 1:18 PM
The better than new part depends on what MaH the cells are and are they NiCads or NiMH. All the NiCad packs I have are constructed from sub C cells. I can purchase NiMH cells that are well over double the MaH of the original cells. Last time I priced it out, it was gong to run me about $40 for enough 4500 MaH cells to rebuild one 18 volt pack. Not too bad for much longer run time and quicker charging. You might have to monkey with the charger if the new cells are more load than the current supply can handle. Most of those chargers are the cheapest piece of crap implementations the manufacturers can manage (at least the cheaper stuff like B&D). I bet a dual mode charger that can handle LiIon or NiCad (like the Ryobi one charger) might not have a problem.

Bill White
09-22-2011, 2:16 PM
I gave up on the rebuild and replacement for the NiMH batts. Went to the Makita LiIon 18v and never looked back.
Bill

Jerome Hanby
09-22-2011, 2:41 PM
Good point. I've been pushing my rebuild project because i don't really use anything but the drills and I have a Hitachi 18V and (gasp) B&D 12 LiIon and they are so light and run so long that I can't get enthused about the rebuilds...

I gave up on the rebuild and replacement for the NiMH batts. Went to the Makita LiIon 18v and never looked back.
Bill

Jim Summers
09-22-2011, 4:45 PM
Are LI-Ion's rebuildable? I can't remember which but, the last time I was at my local Interstate Battery they said either they were not or could not rebuild them. But I can't remember why?

TIA

Bruce Page
09-22-2011, 6:05 PM
I had 2 14.4v DeWalt and 2 12v PC batteries rebuilt by MTO. I highly recommend them.

Jerome Hanby
09-22-2011, 7:49 PM
I haven't see cells for them. As I understand things the batteries have a fair amount of electronics in them to keep you from completely draining the cells. That stuff may be so mated to the cells, that replacing the cells with something generic isn't practical.

Are LI-Ion's rebuildable? I can't remember which but, the last time I was at my local Interstate Battery they said either they were not or could not rebuild them. But I can't remember why?

TIA

Keith Pitman
09-22-2011, 8:08 PM
I used www.primecell.com a couple of years ago and have been pleased. Much less expensive than buying new batteries.

Curt Harms
09-23-2011, 7:28 AM

TIA

Based on the Li Ion notebook battery failures of a few years ago, the failure mode of Li Ion can be "interesting" as in catching fire. I can see rebuilders not wanting to take on that potential liability. I also recall the Jason, the guy that runs MTO battery being asked that question. He replied that he had not been able to improve on the OEM battery packs, either capacity or price so he wasn't planning to offer Li Ion rebuilds at that time. And there are more electronics -devices to limit temp rise etc. - associated with Li Ion than with NiCad or NiMH. I'd guess that replacing the cells unless the replacement cells were identical would require replacing the associated electronics as well.

glenn bradley
09-23-2011, 2:30 PM
I don't know what the current costs are for NiCad and NiMH rebuilds but, I had a pair of Makita and a pair of DeWalts rebuilt by MTO for a little less than the cost of new BUT, went up a grade in MaH. Definitely noticeable as I had a pair of new originals I could compared them to. Now that I have some lithium units, the older drill motors just set there. I really ought to send them down the road to someone who will use them.

Rich Engelhardt
09-23-2011, 3:13 PM
a pair of DeWalts rebuilt by MTO for a little less than the cost of new BUT, went up a grade in MaH. Definitely noticeable as I had a pair of new originals I could compared them to. Now that I have some lithium units, the older drill motors just set there. I really ought to send them down the road to someone who will use them.
The DeWalts @ least should be able to use LiIon batteries. All you need are the right voltage batteries and a LiIon charger.

Dave Sabo
09-30-2011, 8:18 PM
Another satisfied MTO customer here. Had some Festool and Panasonic packs rebuilt and they are as good as factory new now, maybe better.

Can't comment on long term life yet. The orig. Festool packs (niMh) lasted 4+ years of pretty serious use, lots of cycles and it will be hard to beat the lifespan of those packs - Best I've ever owned by far. GIven that I could get 2 rebuilt with a significant bump in mAh capacity for the cost of one Festool - I sent em to MTO.

Mike Cruz
09-30-2011, 10:50 PM
Thanks all, for your suggestions. I've been really busy and haven't had the time to check your reccommendations out yet. But I will shortly. I was asking about this not only for myself, but for a friend as well. Your guidance is very apprecitated.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-01-2011, 8:32 AM
MTO rebuilt 4 DeWalt 12V NiCad batteries for me. At the same time, I bought a two brand new batteries from DeWalt. Three years later, the MTO rebuilds are still going strong and the factory new DeWalts are dead.

The MTO rebuilds also held more charge after they were rebuilt.

Jeff :)

Nick Williams
09-27-2013, 2:10 PM
Tool manufacturers have discovered a huge profit center in selling replacements and it only looks like it's getting worse. I've rebuilt my 18V DeWalt XRP's from a kit I bought from the internet and have had better life than from new.

Mike Gresham
09-28-2013, 12:11 PM
I used www.primecell.com (http://www.primecell.com) a couple of years ago and have been pleased. Much less expensive than buying new batteries.

I wish I could saw the same thing. I had 2 packs rebuilt by them and it was less than 3 months before they couldn't hold a charge for more than a week. I realize NiCad's self discharge, but that is a little over the top.

Loren Woirhaye
09-28-2013, 6:20 PM
Li-ons cannot be rebuilt... well maybe they can but it's much more technical than rebuilding Ni-Cads or NIMH.

Lithium ion batteries have circuitry in them that shuts them down (for good) if they go out of spec. If they go out of spec, they might explode, so the circuitry is there to protect the user from injury and the manufacturer from lawsuits.

No matter what type rechargeable battery you use, its enemy is heat. The big 18v and higher packs have the batteries clustered so they take a lot longer to cool than the 12v and lower packs. One of the worst practices is to take a battery right off a tool you're using and putting it on the charger. This can shorten the life of Ni-Cad and NIMH batteries and trip the circuitry in a Li-on battery so the battery thinks it has a defect and shuts down permanently.

I think if you like the the ergonomics and features of a Ni-Cad tool it's worth maintaining. Some brands and models are really nice while others are almost disposable.

Sam Murdoch
09-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Started a similar thread a few days ago - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?208268-Battery-pack-rebuild-recommendations

Haven't used these guys yet but they were recommended twice and their web site offers lots of information and pricing. I will be sending them some of my Panasonic NiMH battery packs http://www.toolworksrepair.com/