PDA

View Full Version : Shop music

Rick Potter
09-22-2011, 3:20 AM
I have tried several radios in my shop, and none will work with the lights on. I also have Direct TV in my office adjacent to the shop. It has all the music stations I need. I tried hooking speakers directly to the audio out jacks on the back of the Direct TV box....no luck. Radio shack told me they used to sell some sort of adaptor box that connected to those plugs, and used wireless speakers which would go in my shop.

They no longer have it, and suggested I look on the internet for one. Well, I tried, and there are zillions of hits, but no matter what I enter, I cannot find what I want.

So, the question is...can I use the Direct TV box somehow to get music into the adjoining shop? I can just open the door, turn it on real loud and hear it, but there has to be a better way. I don't even care if it's stereo, I just want some tunes.

Thanks,
Rick Potter

John Coloccia
09-22-2011, 8:32 AM
Do you have a smart phone? If so, you can download ooTunes and stream pretty much any radio station on the planet.

Phil Thien
09-22-2011, 8:37 AM
Don't you just need wireless speakers? They typically have a transmitter (which would connect to your DTV box) and two speakers with receivers built-in.

Go to Amazon and search for "wireless speakers."

My only word of caution is that, if your lights interfere with radio reception, they may also interfere with wireless speakers. Concepts are the same. Frequencies may even overlap.

Charles Wiggins
09-22-2011, 8:41 AM
I have a similar problem. My shop is underground on the far end of the house from the garage doors and I can only get a couple of stations, and usually get a lot of static. Mostly, I play CDs. If I got desperate for something different I would stream Pandora (http://www.pandora.com) through my Android and plug in some speakers.

Dave Gaul
09-22-2011, 8:50 AM
If the wireless speaker option doesn't work, you could use a receiver hooked up to the Directv in your office, then run speaker wire into your shop. Many receivers have dual zone outputs and/or A/B speaker switching, so you could have sound in both rooms as needed, with dual zone receivers, you could have one source playing in one room, and another source in the other.

Rick Gooden
09-22-2011, 9:11 AM
Just get something like this on Amazon for around $140, run audio wires from the direct tv box audio out jack to the audio in jack of the mini system and you have music. Also this arrangement will allow for phone docking, cd, etc. as well as giving you a local volume control, probably with remote control.

Matt Meiser
09-22-2011, 9:18 AM
Look on Craigslist for an cheap stereo receiver and some speakers. Run an RCA cable from the back of your DirecTV box to the inputs on the receiver. The on-off button on my receiver broke last winter so I was looking on CL for a receiver and found them to be pretty readily available in the $25-50 range. Then I took apart mine and discovered that all that happened was some glue on the button failed so I was able to fix it with some CA glue.

I've got my first AV receiver in my shop. Its hooked to my shop computer which has iTunes and I've occasionally hooked up my phone and used Pandora (can't use Pandora on the computer due to extremely low data cap on our internet connection.) I've had a really cheap pair of speakers salvaged from one of those cheapo all-in-one stereo systems from the 90's but over the weekend I found an older set of halfway decent speakers at a flea market for $8. The speakers are mounted 8' off the floor and its a horrible acoustic environment, but it actually sounds pretty darn good now.

Ben Hatcher
09-22-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't understand the issue with the jack in the back of your directTV box. Is it that you don't have the right connector? Is it that there isn't enough power to drive your speakers?

Assuming the issue is the connection and not some other problem with the box, you just need to put rca style phono plugs onto the ends of your speaker wires. One wire screws into the center and the other connects to a crimp connection. Radio Shack typically has them in stock. Here's one style http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103423 There are fancier versions, but these work fine.

Alternatively, if you have an extra set of RCA cables you can cut them, strip the shielding back and connet them to your speaker wires. They're basic two wire connections, but the leads are pretty flimsy so be careful. Soldering would be a good idea, but it isn't necessary.

If your issue is lack of power, the boom box/old stereo idea is good. Or you can look for some old computer speakers. You may need a male 3.5mm plug to male rca to hook it up to your box.

Matt Meiser
09-22-2011, 10:57 AM
The outputs of any directv box I've had are line-outs. They wouldn't be able to drive a set of speakers. You need an amplifier in there.

Paul McGaha
09-22-2011, 11:07 AM
I've used one of the Dewalt jobsite radios for several years in my shop.

I've got a pair of Infinity bookshelf speakers I could put in the shop, and run wiring to my family room stereo easy enough. Just havent gotten around to it. Would sound a lot better and could listen to CD's if I did. Probably should do that.

We tend to play the radio pretty low volume anyway.

PHM

Myk Rian
09-22-2011, 11:47 AM
The outputs of any directv box I've had are line-outs. They wouldn't be able to drive a set of speakers. You need an amplifier in there.
Exactly correct.

John Coloccia
09-22-2011, 1:41 PM
FWIW, if I had to run wires, I would have an amp local at the DirectTV box and run speaker wires. If you try to run signal wires that far, I think you'll be rewarded with a muddy, noisy signal. Even with speaker wire, I wouldn't want to go further than 50', or so. If you need to go further, I would almost start thinking about going from RCA to a balanced connection, but now we're talking more $$$. A balanced cable will get you maybe 100ft before it starts getting bad.

The main problem with wireless speakers is that unless you have a Bluetooth enabled device, you're looking at $150+, or thereabouts, to get a working system. At that point, it almost makes sense to pick up an old laptop, toss Linux on it and stream from the web (assuming you have a way to get internet). The wireless solutions are more appropriate for wiring up a house or patio, but it's not a cost effective solution for listening to music IMHO. I'd much rather spend $200 on a portable computer that gets me all the music/radio I want AND web access in my shop.

Jim O'Dell
09-22-2011, 7:57 PM
I had some problems with my shop stereo picking up noise from the lights. I finally used a powered antenna. Not a signal booster, but an antenna made to go on a boat or RV. Doesn't have to be on metal as the power creates it's own ground plane. Two Motorolla extensions for car radio antenna and made a bracket to mount outside. Crustal clear FM now. Oh, I use an old radio out of a Mazda RX-7. Probably from the mid 80's. Has 2 separate 20 watt amps. I run them through a pair of cheap bookshelf speakers mounted on the wall of the shop. Pretty good sound and volume for next to no cost. Jim.

Rick Potter
09-23-2011, 2:25 AM
Thanks, guys,

I went out today and looked at the old (10 year) stereo system I have been using in the shop. The only part that works well is the tape player. The CD took a dive, and the noise from the lights ruins the radio. It looks like Matt's idea will work, as my system has an audio in jack.

I am going to try it in the office/hideout in the shop to see if the amplifier will run a speaker off the Direct tv box. If so, I will leave the amp in there and run wire to the speakers in the shop. This will be no more than a 30' run.

I am one of those old fossils who can do a little bit of anything mechanical, but never learned much about electronics or computers.

Stay tuned, I will let you know if it works.

Rick Potter

Mike Wilkins
09-23-2011, 9:53 AM
I got Sirius satellite radio last year and its been the nicest addition to my shop. After my sliding tablesaw. And 18" bandsaw. And my ....... Oh shut up already.

Kent A Bathurst
09-23-2011, 12:47 PM
I have two music sources in the shop.

First and foremost is my laptop with a 5-speaker Dell set for maybe $125. Radio stations from around the country and the world.

Second is a radio. This one from Tavoli. Works terrific: http://www.tivoliaudio.com/products/table-radios/model-one-reg-radio-in-classic-walnut-beige.html

However.........I also have an external antenna for the radio. Mounted under the eaves, coax into the stereo upstairs, with a splitter that brings a cable to the shop radio. This is an excellent product, for not much bucks. I talked with a guy at the company - they have a variety of antenna products, not to mention some outstanding tuners...he told me "A modest outdoor antenna is nearly always much better than a great indoor antenna" : http://www.magnumdynalab.com/fmantenna-st2.htm

Myk Rian
09-23-2011, 12:59 PM
I am one of those old fossils who can do a little bit of anything mechanical, but never learned much about electronics or computers.
Which is why I cringe and roll my eyes every time someone says to install and use Linux.

Bryan Morgan
09-23-2011, 1:37 PM
I have tried several radios in my shop, and none will work with the lights on. I also have Direct TV in my office adjacent to the shop. It has all the music stations I need. I tried hooking speakers directly to the audio out jacks on the back of the Direct TV box....no luck. Radio shack told me they used to sell some sort of adaptor box that connected to those plugs, and used wireless speakers which would go in my shop.

They no longer have it, and suggested I look on the internet for one. Well, I tried, and there are zillions of hits, but no matter what I enter, I cannot find what I want.

So, the question is...can I use the Direct TV box somehow to get music into the adjoining shop? I can just open the door, turn it on real loud and hear it, but there has to be a better way. I don't even care if it's stereo, I just want some tunes.

Thanks,
Rick Potter

How much do you want to spend? You can use something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/JBL-WEM-1-Wireless-Amplifier-Expansion/dp/B001GXQOUU/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1316798872&sr=8-9

Basically the transmitter hooks into your Directv audio out (RCA) connectors, and the receiver hooks into whatever non-powered speakers you already have and want to use. Its the route I would choose if I were you as you can use whatever speakers you want.

This is basically the same but includes speakers... who knows how good they actually sound:

http://www.amazon.com/Unlimited-SPK-24GX-DUO-Wireless-Outdoor-Transmitter/dp/B003U6Y33Q/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1316799053&sr=8-11

There are many variations of the above product.

Depending on how far away you are, you can get one of those little CD to radio transmitters for your car and the appropriate cable adapters and then just use a normal radio in your shop. Basically you'd just need a 1/8" to RCA Y adapter. You'd have to either use batteries or wire it up for power. I've done this... I hard wired the device for power and then fiddled with the electronics to boost the transmitting power (don't tell the FCC if you do this :) ). The chips are sometimes made for much higher wattage than the circuit they are being used in, just have to research and find out. Those transmitters are only a few bucks and can be used with an normal radio you already have.

Rick Potter
09-26-2011, 1:18 AM
Thanks again guys, for all the ideas and suggestions. I decided to try Matt Meisers suggestion, and took the main body of my old stereo into the office room in the shop, and hooked RCA jacks from the Direct tv box to it. Then I ran a speaker wire out the door into the shop proper. IT'S ALIVE!!

It works great! I now get the Direct tv radio stations, commercial free, with any music genre I want, out in the shop, with no interferrence from the lights. I thought I would have to leave the TV on to listen to music, but I was pleasantly surprised that it works just fine with the TV off, unless I want to change music channels. The volume control on the radio also works. Now, all I have to do is get a roll of speaker wire, and put the speakers in a better location.

My only cost will be for some speaker wire.

Again, thank you,

Rick Potter,
Swingin' with the Del Vikings

John Coloccia
09-26-2011, 7:00 AM
Romex makes fine speaker wire :)

Don't let anyone tell you any different.