PDA

View Full Version : books and videos

cal thelen
09-21-2011, 10:24 PM
Hello been looking for a couple good books and videos on woodturning. mainly interested in bowls, vases, candy dishes, lidded boxes, stuff like that. some info on proper sharpening would be helpful too. lots of books and videos out there. Just wondering which ones you guys would recommend? I have been turning about 9 months and get most of my info from the internet and utube videos. I know there is much much more to learn so which books or dvds do you think I would benefit most from? thanks alot for all responses.
cal

Bob Wolfe
09-21-2011, 10:51 PM
Hey Cal, IMHO If you want to get just one video to cover all of your topics in one shot, I would recommend Alan Lacer's Projects along the woodturning trail dvd set. I have found it to be a great resource. I'm also fond of any Jimmy Clewes videos because he goes into so much depth and it has the best camera angles of the way he uses his gouges (his primary tool) any videos I've seen. The downside (if you call it that), is that each video contains only 3 turning projects, but he covers those projects extremely thoroughly. I'll let the other guys chime in on the book side except to say that Taunton's complete illustrated guide to turning has a lot of valuable information. I have ran across many similar threads on this topic. Good luck.

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2011, 10:56 PM
I am not much of a reader. If I can see it I can do it so DVD's is for me. I like Mike Mahoney's DVD's, Bill Grumbine's two DVD's are pretty good, Alan Lacers skew DVD's and all of Cindy Drozda's DVD's are excellent.

David E Keller
09-21-2011, 10:58 PM
Another Clewes fan here, and I like Mahoney's stuff as well. Richard Raffan's box DVD is a good one if you can keep up with him... Man, he turns fast! Capt Eddie on youtube has a ton of videos, and our own Bob Hamilton does a very nice job on youtube as well.

Bob Hamilton
09-22-2011, 12:43 AM
Bill Grumbine's first video, "Turned Bowls Made Easy" is the best one I have seen on bowl turning and the various cuts with a bowl gouge. I also like Jimmy Clewes' videos and recently bought Glenn Lucas' two videos. The are both very well done and entertaining, although oriented more towards production turning.

Take care
Bob

Donny Lawson
09-22-2011, 6:26 AM
I'll agree with Bob on "Bill Grumbine". His video is great and easy to understand. He takes you from the log to a finished bowl and everything in between. Sharpening,Turning, Drying,Finishing. It's all there.

Jim Burr
09-22-2011, 12:11 PM
+1 on Grumbine and Mahoney. I just re-looked at the Mahoney DVD the other day to refresh some under used future skills.

Richard Jones
09-22-2011, 4:06 PM
Another + for Messrs. Grumbine & Mahoney. Both are very down to earth, nothing fancy, just turning. They cover a lot, but don't beat it to death to the point of boredom. Very informative and interesting.

Rich

Scott Hackler
09-22-2011, 4:19 PM
I just got Bill Grumbrine's Turned bowls made easy DVD, from the mobile library and I think its a good all around video. It covers from a log to a finished bowl and sharpening techniques as well. I am going to watch it again and then it will be up for grabs again.

The only small critique would be that the video is from 2004, I think, and Bill should do a new one with a little better (up to date) production quality. But it is wealth of information from a great turner.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-22-2011, 5:44 PM
I'll add that Bills DVDs are both fun and informative. I'd start there.
+1 for Richard Raffan and his turning speed. He can completely finish a small box faster than I can type this. Good thing you can slow down a DVD..... Lots of info, but if you look away to pick your coffee up, you'll miss something!