PDA

View Full Version : Too much wood is being tossed away.........

Donny Lawson
09-21-2011, 10:13 PM
I know my job is a job that some people here would love to have but I'm tired of seeing wood tossed out by the roadside on a daily basis which we pick up and turn into mulch. I've got so much wood in my yard now it would take me 2 lifetimes to use it up,and I still see myself bringing it home almost daily. This must be "Dogwood week". We are picking it up like crazy this week. This is a 5 day a week treasure hunt for me. If I see something I might can use I bring it home,but I think it's getting out of hand. I don't like to turn any wood away. My yard is looking like a small woodyard. What would you do if you had wood,wood,wood,wood,and more wood and could not stop bringing it home. Is their treatment for this????????????

Baxter Smith
09-21-2011, 10:18 PM
If you weren't in Georgia, you could sell firewood!:)

mickey cassiba
09-21-2011, 10:37 PM
There's a twelve step program, never got past step two

Bob Rotche
09-22-2011, 7:21 AM
Could share the wealth with local turning club or creekers in the area. Would generate lots of good karma! Unfortunately, I'm too far away to help you out...

Lee Koepke
09-22-2011, 8:17 AM
I almost stopped by two weeks ago on my way to Blairsville !!!!! I am hoping to get back up there later this fall, so I could help you out a bit!

Steve Busey
09-22-2011, 9:21 AM
I'm thinking there's a road trip to Chatsworth in my future. :^)

Dan Hintz
09-22-2011, 9:33 AM
I fell into the same "trap" initially, but that was mainly because I had zero wood to begin with. Now that my stockpile is growing, I'm finding I can turn down wood if it's a type I already have an abundance of. Now I look for either unique pieces or unique types.

Greg Bender
09-22-2011, 9:59 AM
Donnie,
maybe a trip down from Charlotte needs to be in my future. Is there anything you don't have that I might be able to bring and swap. I'll PM you about if there are any possibilities.
Greg B.

Mike Wilkins
09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
Too bad there are not more turners here in eastern North Carolina. After hurricane Irene left her mark, there are more trees piled up on the road side than you can imagine. Mostly pine and oak, but I'm sure there are other species blown down as well.

Randy Gleckler
09-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Donny,

I'm only a couple hours away if you wanted to help "save" some wood :-) Course my wife thinks I have to much anyway, but hey, like others mentioned, maybe we could trade.

ray hampton
09-22-2011, 5:24 PM
Why don't someone with the space to store the wood pick it up and sell it

Donny Lawson
09-22-2011, 5:56 PM
Today was no different from the rest of the week. Here is a good load of 18-22" Ambrosia maple. This was taken this morning and is now burried because it is too big for the mulcher. Anything over 16" gets dumped in a hole and covered with dirt. It could have been some nice "BIG" bowls and pretty too. I wanted it so bad but I don't need it. I'm busting some Ambrosia maple up for firewood now. I hate to but I don't need it all.

Dan Hintz
09-22-2011, 7:48 PM
I'm busting some Ambrosia maple up for firewood now.
Well, now that's just sacrilege! Throw it up in Classifieds for a dirt cheap price (no pun intended), I'm sure there are a few newbie turners out there who wouldn't mind a few pieces to work on for mostly the cost of shipping.

Hilel Salomon
09-23-2011, 6:32 AM
Possibilities:
Call a woodturning club and put a notice up;
Craig's list;
Another post here titled "Georgia Wood for free."

I have a friend who works for a tree cutting firm and his enormous shop and the outside are literally full of saved wood. He will occasionally sell some of it to woodworkers in the area.

Hilel

George Guadiane
09-23-2011, 9:31 AM
There's a twelve step program, never got past step two

We had this discussion at my house recently. It SEEMS, that I am a hoarder. I too have lifetime(s) of turning stock and I just went out and got another 3/400 pounds of maple burl - to my credit, I shared the other 2/3 with friends and it DID come from a mulch yard, but I have too much wood and I just can't seem to stop collecting it. Even with what I give away to my club friends and the little that I sell from time to time, I have too much.

I'm getting ready to move next year, and the thought of moving all of it is INSANE, but selling/giving it up seems a much worse fate.

I don't need a program, I NEED an intervention...

OH, by the way, there is another 1000/1500 pounds of CURLY/burly maple waiting for me there.

Donny Lawson
09-23-2011, 2:22 PM
[QUOTE=Hilel Salomon;1779483]Possibilities:
Call a woodturning club and put a notice up.

I do take it to our woodturners meeting once a month and it's sold for $1.00 a piece and all the money goes to the club. But there is plenty more. I think some of it will be finding a new home soon. I'm getting a few PM's. I don't mind bringing it home if I can give alot of it away. I just hate to see it turned into mulch and I hate to see it rot at my house.

David Hostetler
09-23-2011, 2:33 PM
2 of my neighbors had maples, which are rare in my area, removed recently. Which could have been a bonanza, but upon looking at the wood removed, it was plain to see the wood was punky, and pretty much thoroughly rotted. I can see for sure why those trees were taken down! A pity too, that could have made some very nice turning blanks, or even resawn into nice lumber had it not gotten to sawdust while standing...

Hilel Salomon
09-23-2011, 7:27 PM
Donny,

It's great to see someone willing to put in that kind of effort to prevent a total waste. Kudos.

Mike Willeson
09-24-2011, 10:16 AM
Sounds like a 2nd career / part time business waiting to happen....turn the high quality wood in bowl blanks, blocked pieces and sell it.

Steve R Baker
09-25-2011, 12:58 PM
If you want a visitor & some one to hall some off send me a pm. I will be in Blairsville,GA. for about 4 weeks I hope, about 1 1/2 hr away, I think.

Bruce Yasitis
09-26-2011, 11:30 AM
I am a novice turner in Johns Creek and also would be more than happy to help out with your "problem". Being retired I can visit most any time.

William Bachtel
09-26-2011, 3:19 PM
I have the same problem. I have tons, tons, and tons, of great wood around here, been collecting it for years. Right now I have some really nice Mulberry that is going south, if I don't burn it or give it away. Who wants some of it. Wadsworth, Ohio.

Edward Bartimmo
09-26-2011, 3:51 PM
Besides bringing it to the club as well as cornering the newbies to force it on them, you may go visit the guys at your local woodshop (ROckler, Woodcraft, etc). These guys are always willing to take whatever I bring and either use themselves or pass out. Also, I have 3 trash cans on side of house (#1 - Mesquist & Acacia; #2 - Pecan, Hickory, Maple, Ash; #3 - Exotics - Apple, Pear, Mulberry, Cherry, Apricot, etc). Depending on what is being cooked I go to a specific trash can to compliment my grilling/BBQ experience. In the old days I would use oak or pecan as primary wood and throw in a few chucks of flavoring wood. Now that I have more flavoring wood than can handle I just bunr a straight type of wood while cooking my meal.

Wood Selection rule is similar to wine. Light woods go best with light colored meat....Heavier wood, like Red Wine, goes with everything!!!

Primvs Aebvtivs
09-28-2011, 3:56 PM
I'm tearing my hair out here! I too am a wood collector. I used to do a lot of "plank" work, but recently got a lathe (for xmas 2011), so I've been turning bit of pine that I would have burnt on the wood fire in the house. NOW I have to tell my wife to check the logs she picks up to burn, to see if I can turn them instead... Cap'n Eddie has a lot to answer for (youtube him). Now most of my stuff gets pinched by the wife and kids, although I'm *supposed* to be selling it! I've recently been given fresh felled Magnolia, Silver Birch, Apple and Walnut. What with the 'new' turning wood, and the 'old' planks hanging around I'm running out of room, and as someone said ^ We WERE planning to move... yikes! Great to see someone with spare wood offering it out.

Scott Hackler
09-28-2011, 4:57 PM
lol, I have to laugh at the level of wood hoarders around here! It gets worse......when you start saving the corver cut offs of a square blank when you run it through the band saw to make it round. I cant throw out pieces of wood with any type of figure or coloring that I can process into square stock for something else. Like 1 pen blank! And I dont turn very many pens. :)

Now.... off to the limb dump to see whats been tossed out today! :)

Richard Jones
09-28-2011, 5:04 PM
...It gets worse......when you start saving the corver cut offs of a square blank when you run it through the band saw to make it round. I cant throw out pieces of wood with any type of figure or coloring that I can process into square stock for something else. Like 1 pen blank! And I dont turn very many pens.

You, sir, are reading my mind....... :)

Seriously, I am just getting to the point where I can throw some stuff away.

I am turning down wood now, all the clearing contractors in the area call me when they have some special stuff. Guy gave me a really nice standing cherry the other day, he'll fell it this weekend, I'll go by and cut it up and haul it away. You can never have enough cherry.........Maybe I can swap a few blanks for some of that there meskeet stuff I've been hearing so much about...........

Rich

Donny Lawson
09-28-2011, 5:06 PM
Here is some wood from "yesterday". It's all poplar but it's fun to turn. Today was a Maple day but didn't get time to get any pics. I think it went to the mulch pile.

Bill Bulloch
10-06-2011, 12:31 PM
Donny,

I want some of that wood and would like to make arrangements with you for my coming to get some...... I have been trying to send you a PM, but get the error message that says:" Donny Lawson has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.".

Could you send me your email address or telephone number?

Thanks

Jon Lanier
10-06-2011, 2:15 PM
:) Ha.... now that here is funny!