PDA

View Full Version : My new 10" Bad Axe Dovetail Saw

Andrew Pitonyak
09-21-2011, 8:48 PM
Disclaimer: I am an amateur, it takes a lot of work to cut dovetails by hand, and they are not the prettiest dove tails. In my entire life, I have only used five back saws, and one was total junk.

My first dovetail saw was an inexpensive Crown with with a cylinder for a handle (similar to a Japanese pull saw). I had a difficult time cutting a straight line, which I attribute to the handle, the sharpening, and my inexperience. I keep it around so that when I get around to it, I can practice sharpening on a saw that otherwise means little to me.

To avoid fatigue, I purchased a Lie Nielsen dovetail saw, which I like very much. I like the handle fairly well, but it sometimes pinches the bottom of my palm.

After numerous cuts with my Lie Nielsen saw I can follow a line fairly well. I realized, however, that while learning to cut, I have not used the saw evenly so that one portion is sharper than the other and the saw is dragging as a I cut. Not wanting to be without a saw (and lacking the guts to sharpen my only usable dovetail saw), I did the only sensible thing; I purchased a 10" dovetail saw from Bad Axe Tools.

I opted for a mesquite handle (because I like the look) and for a black nickel plated finish.

http://www.badaxetoolworks.com/10-inch-dovetail-back-saw.html

I lack time, but desired to give the saw a quick test.

Mark Harrell has done a wonderful job on this saw. The fit and finish on this saw is almost perfect. I like attractive tools. I may use my tools hard sometimes, but I rarely abuse them and then I usually clean them up before putting them away for extended periods. My point is that I paid extra for a few extras that are mostly aesthetic, but five years from now it will likely still look very nice.

Mark Harrell asked me how I would use the saw and I told him dovetails in hardwood. I then let him decide how to file the saw.

Test 1: How well does the saw fit my hand?

This saw is the most comfortable saw I own. The handle size is perfect for me. I am able to cut with no binding or pinching. Unsure how he finished the handle, but it just feels right. I inspected the handle closely and there are some nice (attractive) details on the handle that serve no purpose other than aesthetics.

Test 2: How does it cut?

I grabbed some 5/8" to 3/4" maple and marked vertical and 1:8 angled lines. I was surprised at how easy it is to start a cut, especially after I saw how quickly this saw ripped through the maple. The saw felt like it was doing all the work. Then I realized that WOW, I was following / splitting every line perfectly. This saw cuts straight!

I find it difficult to believe that there is anything intrinsic to the saw that causes the saw to cut so well and so fast, so, it must be how the saw is sharpened. I had heard rumors that Mr. Harrell is the saw sharpening whisperer, and I am inclined to believe it.

Remember that part about following a line fairly well with my "over due for a sharpening" Lie Nielsen? I think that I will be sending my Lie Nielsen saw to him for sharpening. Then again, I strongly prefer his handle so perhaps I should simply purchase another saw and sell my Lie Nielsen. I guess I have a decision to make.

Test 3: Smoothness of the surface

The surface left by my new Bad Axe Toolworks saw is very smooth compared to my other dovetail saw (I have a pretty good idea as to why that is, and I believe that I know how to correct it). I can see some striations, but they are very shallow and the surface feels pretty smooth to the touch.

Summary

I am simply amazed by this new saw. I was a bit leery of spending more than $200 for a dovetail saw, but, based on the results, I think that the saw is well worth the money. This saw is amazing.

Chris Griggs
09-21-2011, 9:01 PM
Thanks for sharing Andrew. Glad to here you're happy with the saw - I've heard nothing but wonderful things about those saws. If it helps you build confidence in your sawing, gives you superior results, and increases your enjoyment, than it was absolutely worth the cost.

Andrew Pitonyak
09-21-2011, 9:20 PM
Thanks for sharing Andrew. Glad to here you're happy with the saw - I've heard nothing but wonderful things about those saws. If it helps you build confidence in your sawing, gives you superior results, and increases your enjoyment, than it was absolutely worth the cost.
Right or wrong, I attribute the accuracy to two things. (1) The saw fits my hand perfectly and is very comfortable. (2) The sharpening is flawless, (well, as an engineer / mathematician, perhaps not flawless, but, very close). It looks like Bad Axe will be at the WIA conference in about 10 days, can't wait to stop by.

Jim Neeley
09-21-2011, 10:04 PM
Andrew,

While you're there, stop by the booth and talk up your saw to the people standing around; it's the best thank you that you can give them. Advertising doesn't get any better than a very satisfied customer, standing there bragging about their equipment. Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any manufacturer or retailer of WW equipment.

Jim

Andrew Pitonyak
09-22-2011, 1:11 AM
Andrew,

While you're there, stop by the booth and talk up your saw to the people standing around; it's the best thank you that you can give them. Advertising doesn't get any better than a very satisfied customer, standing there bragging about their equipment. Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with any manufacturer or retailer of WW equipment.

Jim

I am really looking forward to meeting many of the vendors and to thank some of them for their fine products. Bad Axe is certainly one of them. I am also looking forward to meeting some of the other vendors that I have not yet met or seen their tools; I seem to remember noticing that Ron Brese may be there (for example). Same for Ron Hock (exchanged email with him, did some research for him, but I have never met him in person).

Dale Cruea
09-22-2011, 3:01 PM
I went to this web site. Now I want one of these saws. I can't cut a dove tail worth having. I have tried several different saws and none seem to work for me. I am thinking about sending him my Lynx to change the tooth pattern. Thanks for the information.

bob blakeborough
09-22-2011, 9:06 PM
I love my Bax Axe saws! They cut like nothing else I have tried...