PDA

View Full Version : Finish Failure - Suggestions for Removing Uncured Waterlox

Edward Bartimmo
09-21-2011, 6:13 PM
Through trial and error I have come to appreciate the way Walnut Oil compliments Mesquite's color (depth and luster). Typically, I will put a thin coat or two on a vessel and letting it cure before finishing with Waterlox. Yes - I know Waterlox is "tung" oil derivative, but take my word there is a notable difference when a coat of Walnut Oil is used...even moreso than other oils.

That said...I have a large bowl that is a gift that was requested to be used for functional usage. I really flooded the wood with several heavy coats of Walnut Oil. After this was completed the request was changed to make it a show piece with a polished surface. Apparently, the mesquite has absorbed too much oil for the subsequent coat of Waterlox to completely cure. 20/20 hind sight - I should have used shellac first as intermediate layer before any other type of final coating.

Any suggestions on what solvent (note - not sandpaper) to use for removing the uncured Waterlox?

Thanks

Curt Fuller
09-21-2011, 6:59 PM
Maybe some mineral spirits and steel wool?

John Keeton
09-21-2011, 6:59 PM
I would think mineral spirits would take it off very quickly. Can you use some synthetic steel wool with it without damaging the surface - even 0000 at this point would work?

John Keeton
09-21-2011, 7:00 PM
Curt - you should be worried that we had the same thought at the same point in time!!!:eek:

charlie knighton
09-21-2011, 7:42 PM
amen........

Curt Fuller
09-21-2011, 7:43 PM
Curt - you should be worried that we had the same thought at the same point in time!!!:eek:

Me thinks you're the one that needs to worry!

charlie knighton
09-21-2011, 10:10 PM
amen..amen.....