PDA

View Full Version : Tashiro Hardware Saws

Bob Winkler
02-25-2005, 12:03 PM
Hey Mark Singer,

This started out as a private message to you, but it appears that your private message quota is filled and won't accept additional messages. So I'll post it for the general forum.
I've been reading some of the threads where you talk about the japanese saws from Tashiro Hardware. I'd like to place an order because I can see the value of using handsaws more and more.

I'm confused about the diffferent saws and how they should be used. My primary uses would be tenon cheek cuts, dovetails, and 4/4 lumber crosscutting and less frequent ripping.

Here what I think I need, but would like your input based on your experience:

Queen Dovetail and handle
Mini Dovetail and handle
King Blade and handle
blade holders (to make my own handles)

I'm confused about the Joint blades. Should I add them to my list?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Bob Winkler

Mark Singer
02-25-2005, 1:14 PM
Bob,

Sorry my box tends to get full....and I am a little slow on house keeping!

The Tashiro saws are great.
I probably would get the King Blade....I have it and it is course and has limited use except roughing quickly if it sounds like something you would use add it.

The Joint Blade
The Queen dovetail
The joint Blade (fine)
I also have the micro dovetail and the mini dovetail and they are good
I really like the handles I made better than the ones I got from Frank.I make them a little heavier and fuller and they feel great.
The detail Frank sends to make the handles is no good!
He has you making it from one piece of wood and cutting a slot.
It is much better to use 3 pieces and make a sandwich.
The center piece is the same thickness as the blade holder. Use epoxy and make sure it doesn't get into the blade holder cavity or it is useless!
I find it difficult to constantly change blades, so I would buy enough fittings to make one handle for each,.
The Queen handle is "Backed" with a spine
The King handle only holds the blade near the end and those are thicker kerf.

I have some great western saws that I love....but these will amaze you, especially when you get the form and posture down.

Some of the Visiting Creekers A/B'd these against some greats like LN dovetail, Saphir, my classic Taylor and sons and older Diston's and these really hold their own

Here is a picture of my handles....
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=8800&stc=1

Bob Winkler
02-25-2005, 1:49 PM
Bob,

Some of the Visiting Creekers A/B'd these against some greats like LN dovetail, Saphir, my classic Taylor and sons and older Diston's and these really hold their own

Thanks for the prompt reply Mark, and the great information. I've been looking at all the Western saws you mentioned, but although I don't want to sound cheap, I think the Japanese saws are a great value. I've used one from Veritas with their dovetail guide, and I always seem to be amazed at how well it cuts.

Thanks again, and I love your saw handles. I'll be sure to send you a picture if mine come close to as good as yours.

Bob

Mark Singer
02-25-2005, 7:37 PM
Bob,

I don't reccoment that Veritas guide on these saws. It will damage the teeth. I was teaching a friend to dovetail and he broke a tooth on his Veritas saw. The steel is brittle. Try sawing by hand..With the Japanese saws use a relaxed 2 hand grip. If you are right handed align the cut with your right shoulder. I can send you a sketch of the handle construction,
Mark

Jim Dunn
02-25-2005, 8:21 PM
Bob I recently ordered 2 queen blades and a handle. Going to TRY to teach myself and my son how to hand cut dovetails. As soon as I can stand up in the shop. Da-- back anyway!!

Bob Winkler
02-25-2005, 8:44 PM
Well, I just ordered an assortment from Mr. Tashiro. He was quite the gentleman and very kind considering my Japanese saw ignorance.

He even called me back to say I qualified for a "free" pocket saw handle, which was fine with me.

I ordered the king, queen and a couple of joint saws with handles, and also the handle hardware so I can be "like Mark" and make my own handles.;)

Can't wait to get them and will post pictures and first impressions next week.

Bob

Bob Winkler
02-25-2005, 8:49 PM
Bob,

I don't reccoment that Veritas guide on these saws. It will damage the teeth. I was teaching a friend to dovetail and he broke a tooth on his Veritas saw. The steel is brittle. Try sawing by hand..With the Japanese saws use a relaxed 2 hand grip. If you are right handed align the cut with your right shoulder. I can send you a sketch of the handle construction,
Mark
Mark, I'm not sure what guide you're referring to, but my Veritas guide is the one with the 8 deg angle and the embedded magnet. I can't see how this could break a saw tooth.

Bob

Mark Singer
02-25-2005, 9:03 PM
Bob,

Be really careful the glue doesn't get near the slot that holds the blade. Use 3 pieces of wood. It is nice if the center contrasts. Glue the whole thing at one time and let it dry in verticle position, so the glue can't run into the slot! You must use epoxy. Shape after, by sanding or a spoke shave or both. Start with a long handle and you can cut it to a comfortable length. The handle length changes the balance.

Mark Singer
02-25-2005, 9:14 PM
The saws have a small set and the guide has aluminum projections. The saw can bind a little in the wood and alter or break the teeth. I would use a bandsaw technique first. I have the method handy if you are interested. If you practice sawing freehand you might do great. Draw lines on the edge of a board and down the face and saw down the face about 3/4 inch. Start with the blade entering one corner so you can correct. That guide is one of the few veritas designs I don't like. It only takes one bad cut to ruin the saw. It will also change the set. When you want to reduce the set on a western saw you run a file on the side of the teeth...if you do one side...it cuts eccentric.

Mike Holbrook
02-27-2005, 1:26 AM
Have you guys seen or used the new Silky saws? Specifically the new Woodboy Folding Saws. I bought a Dozuki and just got a pre release of the other Woodboy saw direct from Silky. I am wondering if these saws are similar to the Tashiros? Great saws IMHO.

http://www.silkystore.com/Secure/eCommerce/Catalog.asp?prdc=13

Alan Turner
02-27-2005, 4:57 AM
At Mark's suggestion, I also use the Toshiro Hdw. saws. I bought a pair of the flush cutters, and they are the best I have seen at this task.
Alan

Bob Winkler
02-28-2005, 5:59 PM
Mr. Tashiro came through as promised. I got my sampling of japanese saw blades, handle, and holders.

Can't wait to make some sawdust and can't wait to make some custom handles.

Bob

Jay Knoll
02-28-2005, 6:26 PM
[QUOTE=Mark Singer] I would use a bandsaw technique first. I have the method handy if you are interested.

Mark, I would love to learn about the bandsaw technique. I've discovered that developing the muscle memory to cut dovetails by hand is very frustrating.

Jay

Mark Singer
02-28-2005, 8:29 PM
Jay,

I will dig it up, I sent it to John Miliunas a while ago and will find it....

[QUOTE=Mark Singer] I would use a bandsaw technique first. I have the method handy if you are interested.

Mark, I would love to learn about the bandsaw technique. I've discovered that developing the muscle memory to cut dovetails by hand is very frustrating.

Jay

Mark Singer
02-28-2005, 10:25 PM
Bob,

Looks great! You are set! Let me know how they cut! I think you will be pleased!

Mr. Tashiro came through as promised. I got my sampling of japanese saw blades, handle, and holders.

Can't wait to make some sawdust and can't wait to make some custom handles.

Bob

John Miliunas
02-28-2005, 11:05 PM
Jay,

I will dig it up, I sent it to John Miliunas a while ago and will find it....
Hey Mark, if you can't easily find it, I have it right handy! Keep it stashed in two places! :) :cool:

Mark Singer
03-01-2005, 12:22 AM
John,

I found it and forwarded to Jay....Thanks John!;)

Hey Mark, if you can't easily find it, I have it right handy! Keep it stashed in two places! :) :cool:

Bob Winkler
03-01-2005, 7:54 AM
Hi Mark,

Hate to bug you, but can you send me a copy also.
Thanks, Bob