PDA

View Full Version : butcher block and powder post beatles

Bob Riefer
09-21-2011, 2:48 PM
Well, my old barn is no stranger to powder post beatles, we treat and they go/return over time. I've just sort of learned to live with it and have resigned to the idea that storing lumber in the barn isn't in my future.

Anyways, I got a butcher block slab on craigs list yesterday. It's 2" thick x 30" wide x 6 feet long, complete with steel legs. Maple. I plan to use it for my assembly table, it's very nice and flat and heavy as can be.

On the underside, I noticed only after getting it home, I find dust and a few holes, which makes me think it may have (or have had) beates before.

My plan is to clean up the table, sand it, and then seal it on all 4 sides with several coats of poly. Will this basically suffocate the little buggers?

Don Buck
09-21-2011, 3:43 PM
The holes you will be sealing are their emergence holes of a previous crop of pp beetles. They are long gone. Several coats of poly will discourage future egg laying although their is a chance that some larva could be in the wood and emerge later. Heat treating is the best method to kill powder post and other wood boring critters.

Bob Riefer
09-21-2011, 3:45 PM
Is there a DIY method to heat treating that I could try at home? Or would it entail bringing the butcher block someplace else?

mickey cassiba
09-21-2011, 4:19 PM
Put it in yer car...windows up, and in the sun...if your weather is even close to mine the little beggars will be toast in a couple of days. I have heat treated wood in just such a manner. a little twist is all I got.