PDA

View Full Version : Jorgenson Parallel Clamps

Rob Holcomb
09-21-2011, 2:13 PM
First I'd like to say that after fighting with Pipe Clamps to keep glue-ups nearly flat and failing more times than not, I bought 5 Jorgenson Parallel Clamps and what a world of difference they make! I kept reading members here discuss various types of clamps and most everyone said "You get what you pay for" and you are all correct! Now that I've used the clamps a few times to make some cutting boards, I've found that the dry glue on the bars is a pain to get off. What is the easiest way to remove the glue? I'm using the hot water and SOS pad method and that's getting old in a hurry!

Mike Goetzke
09-21-2011, 2:20 PM
First I'd like to say that after fighting with Pipe Clamps to keep glue-ups nearly flat and failing more times than not, I bought 5 Jorgenson Parallel Clamps and what a world of difference they make! I kept reading members here discuss various types of clamps and most everyone said "You get what you pay for" and you are all correct! Now that I've used the clamps a few times to make some cutting boards, I've found that the dry glue on the bars is a pain to get off. What is the easiest way to remove the glue? I'm using the hot water and SOS pad method and that's getting old in a hurry!

I'd like to know too. I have heard heat helps but also that if you use paste wax ahead of time it doesn't have a chance to stick.

BTW - Menard's has these on sale on their "Buy American Sale" (24"=$20, 36"=$25, & 48"= $29) plus bring the ad to Home Depot and get another 10% off (at least it pays for tax).

Mike

Matt Kestenbaum
09-21-2011, 2:27 PM
After it beads and rubberizes i scrape it off with a small but stiff bladed putty knife.

John Coloccia
09-21-2011, 2:38 PM
Parallel clamps = good stuff. I still use pipe clamps but I wonder why every time. I think it's because I only have 2 short parallel clamps, and I normally need 3. I got mine as a set. I really need to pick up another short clamp, or maybe trade for one of my longer ones.

Anyhow, I suggest you rub your clamps with a little paraffin. You can use an old candle or do what I do...I buy it at Michael's (the local craft store - one bag is a lifetime supply), melt it and fill a muffin tin. I did that almost 3 years ago, have given some pucks away, and still have a lot left from just my first run. I use it on hand plane soles as well. The glue will no longer stick.

Paste wax is nice too but the paraffin pucks are more convenient for me.

Rob Holcomb
09-21-2011, 3:13 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'll try both the paste wax and parafin wax and see which one I like best. We're getting a Michael's where I live but it's not open yet. They say October sometime. Love that store and my wife loves me more for loving that store HAHAHA

Jerome Hanby
09-21-2011, 3:23 PM
Not sure if it's identical to the stuff from Michael s, but you can usually find wax in the canning section of grocery and department stores. Think the brand is Gulf.

Bill Huber
09-21-2011, 4:35 PM
I have a few Cabinet Maters and they are my go to clamps.

What I did was to clean them up really good, now if you do it when they are new this would help. After I scraped the glue off and got them clean I just put a heavy coat of Johnsons Paste wax on and did not buff it at all. The glue will not stick to it and just comes right off with no problem, I will put a coat on every now and then if I find any glue that is stuck to them.
You can also use wax paper over them or blue painters tape which will keep the glue off the clamp, but I still like the Johnsons wax better, less work.

Rob Holcomb
09-21-2011, 5:43 PM
Thanks for the tip Bill, I tried the paste wax but I buffed it off before doing a glue-up about 2 hours ago. The glue stuck but I'll try just putting the wax on and leaving it and hopefully that will do the trick. Jerome, I have to go to the grocery store tonight so I will look for Gulf wax. Thanks for that tip!

david paul miller
09-21-2011, 7:38 PM
Thanks guys, I've always used wax paper or blue tape, don't know why I never thought of paste wax, I have it on every thing else, sounds a lot easier and it stays on ready for the next glue up

glenn bradley
09-21-2011, 7:55 PM
I put little strips of blue tape on the bars where the glue may drip. Much easier than any method of getting it off once its there ;-)

Kevin Stricker
09-21-2011, 8:14 PM
I bought 25 two and four foot bessy and gros stabil parallel clamps that were caked with glue for a steal. I started cleaning them with citristrip and goof off but switched to mineral spirits and 4# steel wool. If you put them out in the sun, paint on some mineral spirits and let it soak in you can scrape it off pretty easily.