PDA

View Full Version : Mini Lathe Mini Gloat w/pic

Stan Smith
04-20-2003, 8:44 PM
Again, thanks to some nice guys on here, I got a great deal on a Jet mini lathe and stand, from Woodcraft, for $350 including shipping and tax. Setup was no problem, but there were no instructions. Even with my -15 mechanical apptitude everything went smooth.

I had green turned a sycamore bowl blank about 4 years ago so I decided to use it as a test and practice. The lathe runs very quiet and smooth with no vibration. I was concerned about vibration with the stand but it is really beefy and stable. The piece was out of round a little but still no vibration. I just set it on a lower speed and finished up the bowl using my chuck for everything. Seems to me to be smoother than my full size lathe was by more than a little bit. There is a dinky ding on the paint where a weld is on the stand, but everything else was just great right out of the box. I hadn't turned for quite awhile so I was a little apprehensive. Ended up really enjoying it and am looking forward to more. It really did help me out on shop space too. I highly recommend this little lathe for those who like small projects.

Stan

Scott Greaves
04-20-2003, 8:57 PM
Stan,

WOW! That is a nice looking set-up! Good deal on the lathe and stand. Now do you see why I keep recommending this lathe? I'm hoping to get the stand pretty soon myself.

Congratulations on getting a nice lathe!

Scott.

Stan Smith
04-21-2003, 1:49 PM
Thanks, Scott. The only disadvantage I can see so far is that I had to take the tailstock off to get close in to work on the inside of the bowl. I've poked myself with the live center before. As you say, a great little machine.