PDA

View Full Version : Harbor freight 6" jointer/planer better than bench top?

Regis Galbach
09-21-2011, 12:26 PM
I am cramped for space and have been searching for a bench to jointer/planer that has adjustable infeed and outfeed. Haven't had any luck. Now the local harbor freight has their 6" model on sale pretty cheap. Even has rabbeting.
QUESTION: Does anyone have experience with this model (30289)? Am I better of with this than one of the bech tops like Delta or Craftsman? Low price is good but I don't want to just throw away and still have to find a small jointer. Any tips one way or the other?

To get this in my small shop I'll have to cut a bench down a bit.

Thanks,
Regis

Jerome Hanby
09-21-2011, 1:30 PM
I think the problem with bench top models is there isn't enough mass there to hold it steady. My gut reaction is any standalone would be better than a bench top. Of course we are talking about HF here. Jointers are pretty simple machines and even if the HF isn't perfect, you may be able to get it set up to be able to do a decent job. Once i get my depth of cut dialed in, i don't touch my jointer settings other than to slide the fence back and forth to get more even wear on the knives when edge jointing...

I see so many 6" jointers on local and nearby CL that i have to wonder if you couldn't get a Delta, Boice Crane, or similar 6" stand alone machine for the same price as the HF. Just did a quick look and see a delta 6" on the Atlanta CL for $150 or best offer...

Erik France
09-21-2011, 1:43 PM
I haven't used a benchtop jointer, but I think the HF would probably be better by having longer tables.

I posted this on another forum in regards to the HF 6" jointer recently:

I have a similar, older, version of that jointer. Some asian import from the late 70s or early 80s. Had to build my own chip chute and my motor is bigger.

The one thing I really don't like about it is the fence design. It's based on the older rockwell jointers. The fence attaches and moves at the end. Those types of fences can move on you. I tried some rabbets once, but the fence flexed a tiny bit and hosed the piece. Never tried it again. The plus about that fence design is that the depth of the tool is not as big as others with rear, center mounted fences. I've looked at upgrading mine a couple times, but most of the new machines would cause space issues in my tiny shop.

Regis Galbach
09-21-2011, 4:00 PM
Thanks all. I will keep an eye on CL until HF is down to its last one or two. If I have not found anything a lot better, I'll go ahead and take advantage of the sale...something like $160 after sale & discount cupon. There is a Powermatic 6" but, it takes up way too much space.

Thanks again.
Regis

John Nesmith
09-22-2011, 3:31 PM
David Marks has that Harbor Freight 6" jointer. I know he also has that monster 16"er, but he uses the little HF one for smaller parts. At least he did back when Woodworks was on T.V. He apparently got it tuned up quite nicely.

David Hostetler
09-22-2011, 3:55 PM
I have a bench top jointer, and it's fine. No worries about mass, but then again, I am not wrangling 10' long wet 4x4s on it either...