PDA

View Full Version : Another call from the tree trimmers

Kathy Marshall
09-21-2011, 1:36 AM
Got a call this afternoon that they were in the process of cutting down an African Sumac, so I dropped by on my way home from work and picked up a few pieces.

They also cut down another tree at the same job but didn't know what it was, but it's so purdy! Dunno wood just doesn't seem like a fitting name for it, so I'm gonna call it dunnobutIwantabunchmore wood!
I'm thinking it might be some form of acacia, though it's a little different from the other acacias I've turned. It cuts easier, doesn't have the distinctive smell that I've noticed in other acacias and the bark doesn't look quite right, but there are several varieties of acacia and the grain looks similar, so who knows.

I turned this from a small branch, it's about 4" x 1 1/2" with a coat of BLO. Just noticed after I uploaded the pics that I missed a little spot of tear out :mad: , never saw it when I was sanding and oiling. The color is really nice, just a rich chocolate brown. I anticipate a bigger bowl and a hf over the weekend! :D

208116 208117 208118
208119 208115 208120
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiques are welcome.

Marty Eargle
09-21-2011, 2:19 AM
I want to be jealous but I'm too busy drooling. This is the second post today that makes me wish I didn't live in an area ruled by pine and oak...or somewhere with wood dumps and kind tree trimmers. :)

Very nice, sturdy looking bowl. Shame about the missed tear out...but you can just call that art. ;) The wood really reminds me of some Mimosa that I've turned, but darker! Thanks for sharing! And I also appreciate you and the rest of the west coast Creekers that keep us east coast night owls enthralled in the wee hours! :D

Tom Winship
09-21-2011, 4:38 PM
Lovely, Kathy! What do you cut the concave surface on the top inside with? Gouge, or hollowing tool?
I really like that shape.

charlie knighton
09-21-2011, 5:46 PM
very nice....

Josh Bowman
09-21-2011, 6:14 PM
Nice job.......do you ever sleep? I mean just sayin'

Jon Nuckles
09-21-2011, 11:12 PM
I am beginning to think that Kathy Marshall is the posting alias of a multinational corporation employing hundreds of sweatshop turners who are chained to their lathes night and day. That is the only possible explanation for "her" productivity. Nice work again, Kathy!

Kathy Marshall
09-22-2011, 1:21 AM
Thanks guys!

Lovely, Kathy! What do you cut the concave surface on the top inside with? Gouge, or hollowing tool?
I really like that shape.
Tom, I do as much as I can with the bowl gouge, then I either use my Easy Finisher or a hand held hollower or my captured system.

Nice job.......do you ever sleep? I mean just sayin'
I sleep after I'm done turning and before I get up for work :eek:

I am beginning to think that Kathy Marshall is the posting alias of a multinational corporation employing hundreds of sweatshop turners who are chained to their lathes night and day. That is the only possible explanation for "her" productivity. Nice work again, Kathy!
Ssssshhhhhhhhh, you'll give away my secret! :eek:
A turning a day keeps the (fill in blank) away.

Paul Williams
09-22-2011, 8:26 AM
I really like the shape and the color. Great bowl. No idea about the wood other than it didn,t come from around here. It is interesting what shows up in my turnings after I start to finish that I didn't see while sanding.

Tom Winship
09-22-2011, 9:01 AM

I was going to ask Kathy once if she sold any of her work. Realized she didn't have time to sell. She needs a marketing department to ruin the whole thing. Keep pedalling, Kathy!

Faust M. Ruggiero
09-22-2011, 9:02 AM
Kathy, do you have black walnut in Arizona? The color sure looks like walnut. In any event, it is sweet.
faust

Paul Heely
09-22-2011, 9:38 AM
That's a pretty little bowl. Love the wood.

Paul

Tom Collins
09-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Kathy, it is unfortunate the way these tree trimmers are treating you. If I lived closer I could have words with them so they quit dumping on you.

Beautiful form and wood.

TomC

Rick Prosser
09-22-2011, 12:41 PM
Kathy, do you have black walnut in Arizona? The color sure looks like walnut. In any event, it is sweet.
faust
Looks like BW from here too. The bark is not quite the same, but the coloring sure is.

Nice job - love the form. I like to have my bowls curve back in a bit at the top.

Bernie Weishapl
09-22-2011, 8:02 PM
The bowl is a beauty Kathy and good golly would I like to have tree trimmers here.

Baxter Smith
09-22-2011, 8:04 PM
Pretty little bowl!