PDA

View Full Version : Great idea for a TV show

John Coloccia
09-20-2011, 11:53 PM
I watch almost no TV so I'm always a little surprised by what I find. I saw a show a couple of nights ago that was just absolutely horrifying, but at the same time I thought of a solution that might work out for everyone involved.

"Hoarders vs Pickers"

So you get the American Pickers guys to go into the Hoarders homes and try to buy things off of them. They have to throw out anything they can't sell. The way I see it, everyone wins.

Gary Hodgin
09-21-2011, 12:58 AM
Sounds good but I don't think the Pickers would get to pick very much stuff. Those hoarders like to hang on to their stuff. Negotiations would be tough. Perhaps, Nancy Grace could help out when she finishes dancing.

Jim Rimmer
09-21-2011, 1:53 PM
The people the pickers go to are hoarders, it's just a better grade of stuff (sometimes)

Matt Meiser
09-21-2011, 2:03 PM
And they call them "collectors".

They did cross Holmes on Homes and Hoarders one episode. He went to a house that was so full of junk that they were having airflow issues, resulting in moisture issues, HVAC issues, etc.

Jim Rimmer
09-21-2011, 5:20 PM
And they call them "collectors".

They did cross Holmes on Homes and Hoarders one episode. He went to a house that was so full of junk that they were having airflow issues, resulting in moisture issues, HVAC issues, etc.
They also did an episode called "The Pick, The Pawn and The Polish" where the pickers found a '55 Chevy for Rick the Pawn Star and the American Restoration guy restored it.

Matt Meiser
09-21-2011, 9:51 PM
The HoH thing wasn't actually the people from Hoarders.

Gary Hodgin
09-21-2011, 10:02 PM
I like American Pickers although I don't believe they would actually pay some of the prices on the show, and I don't see how they could come close to making a profit on the stuff they buy, especially after expenses. However, it sure beats Picker Sisters (or Sister Pickers). Other than the eye candy, the show doesn't do it for me.

John alder
09-22-2011, 12:48 PM
The same applies to Storage Wars and the repo shows,a new one is Woman Pickers or something like that,every time a new one comes out 2 or 3 more follow suit but better than all the crime stuff shown now a days.

Matt Meiser
09-22-2011, 1:32 PM
but better than all the crime stuff shown now a days.

What do professional athletes have to do with it? :D

Brian Elfert
09-22-2011, 3:35 PM
The same applies to Storage Wars and the repo shows,a new one is Woman Pickers or something like that,every time a new one comes out 2 or 3 more follow suit but better than all the crime stuff shown now a days.

Storage Wars got ridiculous once the show got somewhat popular. The prices paid for lockers at the start were pretty low, but by the last few episodes the prices paid for lockers were out of sight. No wonder they report the buyers often lose money on the lockers.

American Pickers has changed a lot since the start. The first half dozen episodes had them doing picks close to home or on extended winter trips they did every winter when it was too cold in Iowa. Now, the episodes have them all over the United States in their van. I have to bet that either the production company drives the van out and flys out the pickers, or they have multiple vans that look the same. What used to be an antiques business is now a TV business. After the first half dozen episodes I noticed the van got a curtain behind the seats to make it look better for TV.

John Coloccia
09-22-2011, 4:00 PM
My guess, if I had to make one (I don't but I will), is that the whole thing was manufactured for the TV show. I welcome someone with more time on their hands than me to prove me wrong, but my spider sense tells me that it won't happen. Driving around aimlessly, picking through people's junk, seems like a very poor business model to me in the real world.

Brian Elfert
09-23-2011, 4:08 PM
There is plenty of evidence that Mike owned Antique Archeology long before he started the TV show. I did learn that Frank Fritz was someone who was brought on by Mike just for the TV show. Frank is not a partner in the store. Who knows if Mike actually drove around like they do on the TV show now. It would seem to me if the van was just for the show that they might have purchased a newer model of the Sprinter.

Gary Hodgin
09-23-2011, 4:41 PM
Mike opened a new store close to here. I believe it's in Leapers' Fork, which is 20 miles or so outside of Nashville. He and Danielle were supposed to be here for the grand opening sometime this past summer. Apparently, he has a real business. I just don't see how he can make money doing what he does on the show.