PDA

View Full Version : Crab-Apple Lidded Form

Michael E. Thompson
09-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Its been awhile since I have had time to post anything here. I still read as much as I can though. I did a little R&D (Ripoff & Duplicate) with this one. Not real sure what to call this, but it certainly was fun to do. I cut down a couple low hanging branches from a crab-apple tree in my yard for the cup, base & lid. The finial and stem are emonized walnut. ( I need to suck it up and buy some ebony or blackwood). I will be entering this into an art show in a nearby town. Mostly paintings, so I hope this will add that third dimension. 3.5" dia X approx 15" tall. Sorry for the poor picture quality, just a quick snap shot. Please C&C.

Mike

Roger Chandler
09-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Nice piece Michael!

Bernie Weishapl
09-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Really a nice piece and well done.

Kathy Marshall
09-21-2011, 12:41 AM
Nice piece! I like the natural edge.

John Keeton
09-21-2011, 8:15 AM
Michael, very nice proportions on this one! I like the contrast and the use of the crabapple base to pull it together. If you are choosing between ebony and blackwood, I would suggest African Blackwood. It turns much better, with less dust. I also just purchased, but have not yet used, a piece of Malaysian blackwood - somewhat larger growth ring pattern, and a little different undertones. It looks as if it might work fine, but not the black of the African version. For what it is worth, I usually hit the blackwood with a little black dye anyway - really makes a difference.

Jim Burr
09-21-2011, 8:35 AM
Very nice Michael! Great contrast in the woods and balance overall,

Michael E. Thompson
09-22-2011, 10:30 AM
Thanks for all the kind comments.

John, thanks for the advise, I really like the looks of the African Blackwood and will likely look for some. Problem is I am so flippin' cheep. I have been woodturning for a few years now and have yet to buy any wood. Seems like an end of an era a little.

Mike